Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Chasertech or equivalent disc brake adapter?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 05-29-20, 08:09 PM
JMONAY
Some hooligan

Bikes: Several 3-speed Raleighs, several old road bikes, several old mountain bikes, all slightly or heavily modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I come at risk of the "origin story" being needlessly wordy so I'll just say that a series of events has led me to begin a nice '90s GT project (frame only, no original fork) with disc brakes as a fun bike to ride around. I know the bikes were made for V brakes, but I want to use as much as possible out of the pile of parts I have amassed, and this includes 650b wheels with 2.1" Thunder Burt tires which I have already confirmed fit comfortably in the frame, along with TRP Spyre mechanical discs. I'm aware of brake post adapters that can move brakes up just far enough to work with 27.5" wheels on a 26" frame, but they're kinda pricey and I just really am not feeling them. I found out a little too late that even though the Chaser tech website doesn't show everything as being out of stock, they are essentially not really selling anything anymore, as far as I can tell. I was banking on being able to get a Chasertech disc brake adapter since it transfers the braking force on the V-brake post and not in the middle of the chainstay like the cheap adapters we always see. I've written to them wondering if they're gone and am waiting for a response.

Does anyone know of other adapters that work similarly, or of anyone who I could possibly buy a Chasertech adapter from? I'm haven't had any luck scouring the used market online, so far.

P.S. I know that my build is potentially sacrilegious, but of the my planned modifications are reversible and won't harm the frame ... Please don't kill me

Edit: Chasertech responded to my email and they say they really are just out of stock temporarily due to interruptions in the supply stream. They're waiting on their new shipment of stuff and will be back at it again. What a relief haha

Last edited by JMONAY; 06-07-20 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-30-20, 11:28 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by JMONAY
I come at risk of the "origin story" being needlessly wordy so I'll just say that a series of events has led me to begin a nice '90s GT project (frame only, no original fork) with disc brakes as a fun bike to ride around. I know the bikes were made for V brakes, but I want to use as much as possible out of the pile of parts I have amassed, and this includes 650b wheels with 2.1" Thunder Burt tires which I have already confirmed fit comfortably in the frame, along with TRP Spyre mechanical discs. I'm aware of brake post adapters that can move brakes up just far enough to work with 27.5" wheels on a 26" frame, but they're kinda pricey and I just really am not feeling them. I found out a little too late that even though the Chaser tech website doesn't show everything as being out of stock, they are essentially not really selling anything anymore, as far as I can tell. I was banking on being able to get a Chasertech disc brake adapter since it transfers the braking force on the V-brake post and not in the middle of the chainstay like the cheap adapters we always see. I've written to them wondering if they're gone and am waiting for a response.

Does anyone know of other adapters that work similarly, or of anyone who I could possibly buy a Chasertech adapter from? I'm haven't had any luck scouring the used market online, so far.

P.S. I know that my build is potentially sacrilegious, but of the my planned modifications are reversible and won't harm the frame ... Please don't kill me
Never heard of Chasertech, but I've had the Woodman Disco system for many years. It works fine but v-brakes on the rear has been fine when I have a disc fork on front. That's the way I'm currently running my Ibis Mojo 1. My other 26rs dont have disc forks so the hubs have been in the bin for a while. With being home so much now, I have plans to rebuild them. And move them back to the Mojo. Will post an update when I get there.
Woodman - Disco System - Disc Brake Adaptor Complete With 32 Hole Hub Cycling
Old 06-03-20, 12:25 AM
JMONAY
Some hooligan

Bikes: Several 3-speed Raleighs, several old road bikes, several old mountain bikes, all slightly or heavily modified

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
Never heard of Chasertech, but I've had the Woodman Disco system for many years. It works fine but v-brakes on the rear has been fine when I have a disc fork on front. That's the way I'm currently running my Ibis Mojo 1. My other 26rs dont have disc forks so the hubs have been in the bin for a while. With being home so much now, I have plans to rebuild them. And move them back to the Mojo. Will post an update when I get there.
Woodman - Disco System - Disc Brake Adaptor Complete With 32 Hole Hub Cycling
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately it looks like no one sells the Woodman Disco System any longer. The brake mount with the arm looks very similar to Chasertech's adapter, though. I may just have to run it with a disc fork and V brakes in the rear.

I just received a reply from Chasertech as well and they said they had just simply run out of parts for these past couple months and are just waiting for the next shipment. I guess I shouldn't have panicked so quickly. Haha

Last edited by JMONAY; 06-03-20 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-03-20, 08:55 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
I looked into a v-brake > disc conversion on my late 90s Stumpjumper a long time ago using a Specialized sharkfin and A2Z adapter. In the end, I just went mullet brake set up. More recently, I sent off my 90s Ibis hardtail for an update and makeover - had the vbrake posts lopped off, IS disc tab and cable straddles added, paint stripped and powder coated. All for $300 shipped. It's on it's way back home as we speak and then the re-build will commence but with disc brakes and a 650b wheel set.

Worth it to update a nice frame for 21st century braking, V-brakes honestly suck. Oh, and being able to use 650b wheels is great.
Old 06-07-20, 05:25 PM
JMONAY
Some hooligan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by commo_soulja
I looked into a v-brake > disc conversion on my late 90s Stumpjumper a long time ago using a Specialized sharkfin and A2Z adapter. In the end, I just went mullet brake set up. More recently, I sent off my 90s Ibis hardtail for an update and makeover - had the vbrake posts lopped off, IS disc tab and cable straddles added, paint stripped and powder coated. All for $300 shipped. It's on it's way back home as we speak and then the re-build will commence but with disc brakes and a 650b wheel set.

Worth it to update a nice frame for 21st century braking, V-brakes honestly suck. Oh, and being able to use 650b wheels is great.

Ooh!! Thanks for naming the other adapters - the sharkfin functionally looks just like what the Chasertech one would do. Looks like we have some options here.
Old 06-07-20, 05:26 PM
JMONAY
Some hooligan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ok, so Chasertech responded to my email a while ago and it looks like they really are just out of stock temporarily due to interruptions in the supply stream. They're waiting on their new shipment of stuff and will be back at it again. Looks like the project is a go!
Old 06-18-20, 07:13 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
Just stumbled on this so forgive me if I’m resurrecting a “dead” thread... I set up my sons first real mountain bike, a mid 90’s Diamond Back Apex, with the chasertech disc adapter several years ago. I can report it works well and is pretty easy to set up. For what I paid, ~ $50,-it’s a pretty nice bit of kit. If you can get your hands on one I’d say go for it!
Old 07-22-20, 04:10 PM
JMONAY
Some hooligan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Just stumbled on this so forgive me if I’m resurrecting a “dead” thread... I set up my sons first real mountain bike, a mid 90’s Diamond Back Apex, with the chasertech disc adapter several years ago. I can report it works well and is pretty easy to set up. For what I paid, ~ $50,-it’s a pretty nice bit of kit. If you can get your hands on one I’d say go for it!
No worries! Appreciate the opinion from someone who has had it for a while. I've had mine for a couple weeks now and it works great. I made sure every thread had anti-seize or blue loctite on it and dropped it right in. What a magnificent piece of engineering. Haha