Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike is slipping and skipping.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 09:14 AM
mastertuttoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I have a Giant bike I bought from Craigslist and it skips and slips a lot. Not a smooth ride at all. I aligned all the gears and checked if the chain is tight enough but it still slips. I asked my buddy whose a little more into bikes and he noticed that the back shifter was a Shimano deore 7 speed and the front shifter was a Shimano Altus 3 speed. The cassette is also an 8 speed.

He seemed to believe that this Mish Mash of parts, primarily the 7 speed shifter on an 8 speed cassette, is the cause of the slipping of the chain. Also just for informations sake, the chain is a 7 speed chain.

Any help and/or is appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 07-12-20, 09:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
While you might be able to make a 7 speed shifter work on an 8 speed cassette, it requires a bit of finesse to do so. Your bike would work better if you match the cassette to the shifter or vice versa. As the cassette is the cheaper of the two ways to go, I’d suggest a cassette change.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-12-20, 09:37 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
When you say the rear shifter, do you mean the rear rear derailleur or the rear shifter mounted on the handlebars? The rear derailleur difference does not matter. What does usually matter is the rear shifter that is mounted on the handlebars should match the number of cogs on the cassette, but even a seven speed shifter on an 8 speed cassette should not cause the problems that you are experiencing.

There are also other many other possibilities that are not readily apparent, and more likely to be the cause of your problem. You need to let a mechanic give the bike a once-over to know for certain what needs replacing. There could be cable friction, bent derailleur, bent hangar, stiff chain links, bent chain links, worn chain, worn cogs, etc.

Can you be more specific what was done by “aligning gears”? That is a vague statement that demonstrates a level of experience inconsistent with the probability of improving things. Did you adjust the limit screws on the derailleur? Did you adjust the cable tension or barrel adjuster? Did you bend anything? The actual gears (cogs and chainrings) are nearly impossible to go out of alignment, so “aligning them” is a curious statement.

Last edited by aggiegrads; 07-12-20 at 09:41 AM.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 07-12-20, 09:39 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I mix and match parts all the time. No guarantee that is your problem.

Slipping chain could be 100 different things, most likely worn parts. Since you appear new to bikes I would say take it in for a tuneup, but from the posts I read bike shops are all slammed so may take weeks to get that work done right now

Bikes are easy and fun to work on, lots of good info on line. Hit up the park tool website or Sheldon Brown's website, the godfather of all things bicycle related. 7/8 speed chains can be had for $10, cassettes aren't a whole lot more, amazon sells inexpensive kits with chain breaker tools and chain stretch gauges. Forums like this contain lots of knowledgeable but highly opinionated people, threads can quickly get sidetracked. The Park Tool and Sheldon Brown websites are perfect for learning basic bike mechanics.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-12-20, 09:47 AM
aggiegrads

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Bikes are easy and fun to work on, lots of good info on line. Hit up the park tool website or Sheldon Brown's website, the godfather of all things bicycle related. 7/8 speed chains can be had for $10, cassettes aren't a whole lot more, amazon sells inexpensive kits with chain breaker tools and chain stretch gauges. Forums like this contain lots of knowledgeable but highly opinionated people, threads can quickly get sidetracked. The Park Tool and Sheldon Brown websites are perfect for learning basic bike mechanics.
This is excellent advice if you want to fix the bike on your own. The folks here on this forum are willing to help, but you will likely need to take some high quality photos (which you also need more posts to be able to link photos) so keep asking questions, answering questions, and providing more details. I can’t stress enough how important it is to answer the questions that the experienced mechanics here ask. Without providing that information it is often difficult or impossible to determine what is wrong, so check back often and make sure that you have a way to post photos.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 07-12-20, 09:52 AM
mastertuttoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
While you might be able to make a 7 speed shifter work on an 8 speed cassette, it requires a bit of finesse to do so. Your bike would work better if you match the cassette to the shifter or vice versa. As the cassette is the cheaper of the two ways to go, I’d suggest a cassette change.
​​​Thanks for the reply! I think I'm going to change the shifter simply because I think I would need to bend the rear forks to accomodate the 7 speed cassette. However my question is, would this address the slipping and skipping and provide me with a smooth ride? Provided that there are no other issues of course.
Old 07-12-20, 09:57 AM
mastertuttoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
When you say the rear shifter, do you mean the rear rear derailleur or the rear shifter mounted on the handlebars? The rear derailleur difference does not matter. What does usually matter is the rear shifter that is mounted on the handlebars should match the number of cogs on the cassette, but even a seven speed shifter on an 8 speed cassette should not cause the problems that you are experiencing.

There are also other many other possibilities that are not readily apparent, and more likely to be the cause of your problem. You need to let a mechanic give the bike a once-over to know for certain what needs replacing. There could be cable friction, bent derailleur, bent hangar, stiff chain links, bent chain links, worn chain, worn cogs, etc.

Can you be more specific what was done by “aligning gears”? That is a vague statement that demonstrates a level of experience inconsistent with the probability of improving things. Did you adjust the limit screws on the derailleur? Did you adjust the cable tension or barrel adjuster? Did you bend anything? The actual gears (cogs and chainrings) are nearly impossible to go out of alignment, so “aligning them” is a curious statement.
Thanks for the reply! I'm referring to the shifter on the handlebar on the right side. And with regards to alignment of the gears, I just took them out cleaned them and reinstalled them because they looked a bit wonky. That seemed to help a tiny bit but the skipping is still there. I will definitely go to a proper bike mechanic but I wanted to get an idea prior on what the issue could be and see if I could do fix it on my own. Again, thanks for the help.
Old 07-12-20, 09:57 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
First, how stretched is that chain? It could either be too stretched out to stay seated on the cogs or newer than the cogs. (Same issues in front. They just take longer to show.) A quick check for the chain. Get a steel ruler or tape measure. Measure 12 pairs of chain links with the chain stretched out. (How tight doesn't matter.) For ease of seeing what you are measuring, measure from the front of any pin to the front of a pin 24 links (12 pairs) away. On a new chain this will be 12" exactly. If it is 12-1/8", that chain is shot and so is the cassette almost certainly. 12-1/16"? Replace the chain and see if things are better.

Next question - is your rear derailleur properly centered over the cog in all the gears? (Put the bike on a stand or hang it by a loop around the nose of the seat and look from behind.) There is a cable tension adjust barrel where the RD cable comes into the derailleur. If the derailleur centers in (say) the big cog but is off on the small cogs, the derailleur and shifter may not be a match. They both need to be designed around the same pull of cable per gear shift. (This isn't my forte. I'm a friction shifting dinosaur.) Another possibility, again, not my forte - the cassette spacing may be different from the RD shift jumps if it is a road cassette; Deore being mountain. This will show just as the mismatched cable pull.

Lastly, put the chain in the middle chainring and middle cog (or whatever makes for the straightest chain as viewed from behind. Sight along the chain but observe the rear derailleur. Is it lined up with the chain, both fore and aft and vertically. (You may be able to hold a yardstick in line with the derailleur cage and estimate if that is parallel to the rim or the wheel.) This sighting is all about derailleur hanger alignment, that 2" piece of aluminum (usually) that sits at the right dropout and extends down and serves as mounting for the rear derailleur. That hanger gets bent every time the bike falls over onto the derailleur. Replacement hangers are at every bike shop for common bikes If yours is bent,it can be straightened, but they are aluminum. Bent and straightened, it will break eventually. All bike shops have the tool to measure and align the hanger but the aluminum caveat still stands. (Don't straighten it on a carbon fiber bike! Breaking the bike's dropout will cost you the frame. Take it off and do it in a vise. Better, take 1t to a shop.)

There are plenty of other factors that may be causing your woes, but these three are easy to see and address.

I just straightened the aluminum hanger on my best bike. A shop has set aside a replacement for me.

Ben
Old 07-12-20, 09:59 AM
mastertuttoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I mix and match parts all the time. No guarantee that is your problem.

Slipping chain could be 100 different things, most likely worn parts. Since you appear new to bikes I would say take it in for a tuneup, but from the posts I read bike shops are all slammed so may take weeks to get that work done right now

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't aware of this Sheldon Brown person or the other website you mentioned but I will definitely check it out. I would definitely like to fix this bike with my own two hands haha.
Old 07-12-20, 10:03 AM
mastertuttoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
First, how stretched is that chain? It could either be too stretched out to stay seated on the cogs or newer than the cogs. (Same issues in front. They just take longer to show.) A quick check for the chain. Get a steel ruler or tape measure. Measure 12 pairs of chain links with the chain stretched out. (How tight doesn't matter.) For ease of seeing what you are measuring, measure from the front of any pin to the front of a pin 24 links (12 pairs) away. On a new chain this will be 12" exactly. If it is 12-1/8", that chain is shot and so is the cassette almost certainly. 12-1/16"? Replace the chain and see if things are better.

Next question - is your rear derailleur properly centered over the cog in all the gears? (Put the bike on a stand or hang it by a loop around the nose of the seat and look from behind.) There is a cable tension adjust barrel where the RD cable comes into the derailleur. If the derailleur centers in (say) the big cog but is off on the small cogs, the derailleur and shifter may not be a match. They both need to be designed around the same pull of cable per gear shift. (This isn't my forte. I'm a friction shifting dinosaur.) Another possibility, again, not my forte - the cassette spacing may be different from the RD shift jumps if it is a road cassette; Deore being mountain. This will show just as the mismatched cable pull.

Lastly, put the chain in the middle chainring and middle cog (or whatever makes for the straightest chain as viewed from behind. Sight along the chain but observe the rear derailleur. Is it lined up with the chain, both fore and aft and vertically. (You may be able to hold a yardstick in line with the derailleur cage and estimate if that is parallel to the rim or the wheel.) This sighting is all about derailleur hanger alignment, that 2" piece of aluminum (usually) that sits at the right dropout and extends down and serves as mounting for the rear derailleur. That hanger gets bent every time the bike falls over onto the derailleur. Replacement hangers are at every bike shop for common bikes If yours is bent,it can be straightened, but they are aluminum. Bent and straightened, it will break eventually. All bike shops have the tool to measure and align the hanger but the aluminum caveat still stands. (Don't straighten it on a carbon fiber bike! Breaking the bike's dropout will cost you the frame. Take it off and do it in a vise. Better, take 1t to a shop.)

There are plenty of other factors that may be causing your woes, but these three are easy to see and address.

I just straightened the aluminum hanger on my best bike. A shop has set aside a replacement for me.

Ben
Thanks for the reply! I will definitely be trying all that you mentioned today. If this doesn't seem to address the issue, I guess I have no choice but to take it to the shop.
Old 07-12-20, 10:10 AM
aggiegrads

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Another possibility, again, not my forte - the cassette spacing may be different from the RD shift jumps if it is a road cassette; Deore being mountain. This will show just as the mismatched cable pull
Ben
Cassette spacing and cable pull for Shimano indexed mountain and road rear derailleurs was consistent until 10 speed when things changed on the mountain side, so having Deore (Mountain) components on a road setup is not a problem if adjusted properly.

Ben’s other advice is good.

What tools do you have? It sounds like you have a chainwhip and cassette tool.
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by mastertuttoo
​​​Thanks for the reply! I think I'm going to change the shifter simply because I think I would need to bend the rear forks to accomodate the 7 speed cassette. However my question is, would this address the slipping and skipping and provide me with a smooth ride? Provided that there are no other issues of course.
You shouldn’t need to spread the rear triangle for any cassette that you would want to use at this point*. An 8 speed cassette fits on a 135mm hub. The 7 speed cassette is actually narrower than the 8 speed and is meant to fit on a 130mm hub. You’ll need to use a spacer behind a 7 speed cassette to make it fit properly, but that is a minor issue. If you have the shifters, by all means, make the change but don’t go out and buy them to fix a mismatched cassette/shifter problem. It’s just easier to use the proper cassette.

*Caveat: There are wider hubs out there now that you would need to spread your rear triangle to accomodate but for at least up to a 10 speed cassette, you can use a 135mm hub.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6194 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Unless you got the bike for less than a hundred bucks, I'd investigate getting your money back. You might have a money pit. Especially if you don't have experience DIY'ing bikes.
Old 07-12-20, 02:20 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Sounds like a worn out chain and/or rear cog set. Could also be a bent crank/chainrings if it's happening in all gears.

Cheers