Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Jan Heine "Busts" Another Tire/Wheel Myth...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Jan Heine "Busts" Another Tire/Wheel Myth...

Old 07-23-20, 11:43 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
The truth is Jan Heine doesn’t make tires, neither does anyone at Rene Herse. They are contracted out.

Whether anyone at Rene Herse has developed unique tire formulas or whether the actual formulation was done by engineers at the company doing the manufacturing, is anybody’s guess. My guess is that the manufacturer came up with the formula to meet certain specs. I would also imagine a whole bunch of tires made by other manufacturers were first tested.

It is obviously a niche market and Jan Heine is promoting his product. I would think his tests are accurate based on a casing with a limited market share. While it is interesting, I doubt rolling resistance is at the top on most people’s list.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 07-24-20, 04:14 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Did someone recently revoke his Ph.D.?
There are plenty of very highly qualified people who have kissed goodbye to scientific method. This is particularly true in the drugs industry where there's a lot of money at stake.
Old 07-24-20, 08:14 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Jan Heine's science is pretty good. I know a person that sells tires should be suspect when he tests tires, but he does a good job. I'm always looking for someone that has personal interest in "x" and makes "scientific" claims about "x" - one of my hobbies - and Jan Heine has been a pretty solid player in that area. I think he makes a good faith effort to be a straight shooter.
A reasonable, non-combative opinion? Please excuse yourself.

FWIW, I just installed some Compass 650x48 extralights (can’t keep track of the ridiculous names) and my only complaint is how much sealant they leak. It’s crazy. I’ve done a few rides now and hopefully that issue goes away. Otherwise they are pretty smooth. Were they worth upgrading from WTB Horizons? No. But I’ll ride them until they’re no good.
Old 07-24-20, 08:54 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
The truth is Jan Heine doesn’t make tires, neither does anyone at Rene Herse. They are contracted out.
The truth is no one at Trek, Specialized, Scott, Bianchi, Pinarello, Cannondale, Cervelo, Santa Cruz, Kona etc, etc, makes bikes. They are contracted out.
Old 07-24-20, 09:38 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I wish we could get back to discussing ways of determining whether wheel size effects speed rather than whether JH is a scientist because, at the end of the day, we are just talking about him and not the idea.

I think many people would be interested in rolling resistance BUT temper that desire against a competing need for puncture resistance. Caveat* unless they are racing.
When I commute or tour I want to get from A to B as fast as I can (all things being equal) but don't want an increase in punctures. That's why I usually default to Gatorskins or, non tour, currently GP 5000's. I have shied away from Compass only because they seem to lack such protection. However, in 700c there are lots of options available to experiment finding the sweet spot between the two values.

The problem I see in the 26" range is a lack of similar performance oriented tires other than the Compass brand. The closest I have come is Paselas in 1.75 which feel like they roll fast (much more so than Marathons) but attract punctures like the plague. Something about the tread catching particles long enough to let them penetrate it seems. I suppose I will try 26" Compass at some point but for most I suspect the price point is very dear to experiment with given the competing concern about puncture protection. Most on 26" road bikes are not racing but using them in a utility sense so that has a higher priority.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 07-24-20, 09:42 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The truth is no one at Trek, Specialized, Scott, Bianchi, Pinarello, Cannondale, Cervelo, Santa Cruz, Kona etc, etc, makes bikes. They are contracted out.
Except for Specialized, and maybe a couple others, Trek, for example, made their own bikes for many years. The had their own manufacturing facilities, but like everyone else have gone overseas to have bike frames made. For them it was economics.

Rene Herse never made tires, nor any facilities to make them. They never had the manufacturing expertise. Nothing wrong with that, but to say their background is similar to Trek is not really comparable.

John
Old 07-24-20, 09:47 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
What does testing for differences (or lack) between wheel-sizes have anything to do with promoting their tire sales (especially given the majority of the tires they sell are 700C)?

(Also, Panaracer makes their tires, in Japan, from what I understand.)
Old 07-24-20, 10:29 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I suspect that Jan has more experience and expertise testing and designing tires than any of the posters here, but I could be wrong. Instead of posting only criticism, show us your credentials and body of work. Without that, it's all talk.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 07-24-20, 10:59 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I suspect that Jan has more experience and expertise testing and designing tires than any of the posters here, but I could be wrong. Instead of posting only criticism, show us your credentials and body of work. Without that, it's all talk.
Yeah this a lot of hoopla over a fairly weak claim of “small changes in tire diameter do not measurably change rolling resistance on mostly smooth pavement as long as you use supple tires”.

People are acting like the logical conclusion from this is that we should all dump our 700c wheels and go to 650b and buy rene herse tires. To me, it signifies that maybe we should consider specifying 650b (or smaller) wheels on bikes for people under 5’ 5” so that they fit better on their bikes.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 07-24-20, 11:07 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Except for Specialized, and maybe a couple others, Trek, for example, made their own bikes for many years. The had their own manufacturing facilities, but like everyone else have gone overseas to have bike frames made. For them it was economics.

Rene Herse never made tires, nor any facilities to make them. They never had the manufacturing expertise. Nothing wrong with that, but to say their background is similar to Trek is not really comparable.

John
Jan Heine and Rene Herse (previously Compass) have always said they worked with Panaracer to develop their tire. Panaracers are well thought of and Rene Herse took a no compromise risk to work with Panaracer to develop a better tire and make (and market) them in previously neglected (or out of fashion) sizes.

It must be having a positive effect as Continental offers their GP5000 in 32mm, where the GP4000SII maxed out at 28mm.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 07-24-20, 11:11 AM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
That is fair enough. Some people revere him as some genius. He has done interesting stuff but has gone to whatever lengths necessary to promote it. It’s not like he doesn’t have a financial interest in his work.

He promotes certain attributes of his products, or certain attributes that will point to his products. But everything has some give and take.

I do feel his work of wider tires is really valuable. If I had a road bike that accepted wider tires I would entertain going there, but probably not his tires. Just like I don’t buy the lowest rolling resistance mountain bike tires, I‘ll buy what seems to fit where I ride.

John
Old 07-24-20, 11:27 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
He was testing and experimenting long before resurrecting the Rene Herse brand.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-24-20, 12:04 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I wish we could get back to discussing ways of determining whether wheel size effects speed rather than whether JH is a scientist because, at the end of the day, we are just talking about him and not the idea.

I think many people would be interested in rolling resistance BUT temper that desire against a competing need for puncture resistance. Caveat* unless they are racing.
When I commute or tour I want to get from A to B as fast as I can (all things being equal) but don't want an increase in punctures. That's why I usually default to Gatorskins or, non tour, currently GP 5000's. I have shied away from Compass only because they seem to lack such protection. However, in 700c there are lots of options available to experiment finding the sweet spot between the two values.

The problem I see in the 26" range is a lack of similar performance oriented tires other than the Compass brand. The closest I have come is Paselas in 1.75 which feel like they roll fast (much more so than Marathons) but attract punctures like the plague. Something about the tread catching particles long enough to let them penetrate it seems. I suppose I will try 26" Compass at some point but for most I suspect the price point is very dear to experiment with given the competing concern about puncture protection. Most on 26" road bikes are not racing but using them in a utility sense so that has a higher priority.
I bought a pair of the 26” RTPs a couple of years ago and have a lot of miles on them. Something like 4000-5000. Just had to replace the rear one, as it had worn thin and had started to flat regularly. The front tire is still in use and has never had a flat.

Anyway, as we’ve both said, not a lot of wide “roadish” options in 26”. The best alternative I’ve come up with so far is the Continental Contact Speed in the 26x2.0 size. The guy from NL tested the 37mm version and it’s a couple watts more than the 35 Bon Jon Pass. I now have the 26x2.0 version on the rear and I would guess that it is a couple of watts more than the RTP, but pretty close. It should offer better protection against flats for the rear tire than the RTP. We shall see!

Considering how well the RTP has done in front, I figure I will replace it with another RTP once it’s worn out.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 07-24-20, 12:06 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
The problem with the drum test is that the drum does NOT mimic real road surface conditions. In over 60 years of bicycling I've never come across a road shaped like a steel drum.
OTOH I have ridden on roads that had pieces of steel drums littered all over them.

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
It must be having a positive effect as Continental offers their GP5000 in 32mm, where the GP4000SII maxed out at 28mm.
Good point. I'm looking forward to seeing how the GP5000 lasts in MY real world tests -- puncture resistance and longevity being key parameters, now that I'm looking at tires with better rolling resistance.
Old 07-25-20, 12:00 AM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Continental offers their GP5000 in 32mm, where the GP4000SII maxed out at 28mm.
It's also been often discussed that Continental revised their labeling in between those two releases. The GP4000s only ran true to size on narrow (~17mm inside width) rims, which were normal when they were released in 2005 - the "28mm" GP4KSII inflates to a measured 32mm on my wide 22mm-internal wheels, which is a huge discrepancy. The GP5000 with the same markings run narrower on the same rims - the "28mm" GP5KTL on the same rims measures 30.5mm. I can't say if the 32mm 5k is actually 32mm, or if it's actually wider than the old 28s (I also can't speak for the tubed version).

More a case of adjusting labeling to keep up with the times, than anything else in my opinion.
Old 07-25-20, 12:39 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfa
It's also been often discussed that Continental revised their labeling in between those two releases. The GP4000s only ran true to size on narrow (~17mm inside width) rims, which were normal when they were released in 2005 - the "28mm" GP4KSII inflates to a measured 32mm on my wide 22mm-internal wheels, which is a huge discrepancy. The GP5000 with the same markings run narrower on the same rims - the "28mm" GP5KTL on the same rims measures 30.5mm. I can't say if the 32mm 5k is actually 32mm, or if it's actually wider than the old 28s (I also can't speak for the tubed version).

More a case of adjusting labeling to keep up with the times, than anything else in my opinion.
True about the 28mm GP4000SII. On my Alexrims A23 (17mm inside) my 28s were actually 30.5 also.
Old 07-25-20, 02:23 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by fourfa

ETRTO recently revised their standards as to the rim width they will use for various tire widths, and shifted to wider rims. So manufacturers are adapting to this change, and labeling tires based on the expectation of being mounted on the wider rims per that spec.

Otto
Old 07-25-20, 05:09 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
I don't even believe in tires
Old 07-25-20, 05:52 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts

Whether anyone at Rene Herse has developed unique tire formulas or whether the actual formulation was done by engineers at the company doing the manufacturing, is anybody’s guess. My guess is that the manufacturer came up with the formula to meet certain specs. I would also imagine a whole bunch of tires made by other manufacturers were first tested.

It is obviously a niche market and Jan Heine is promoting his product. I would think his tests are accurate based on a casing with a limited market share. While it is interesting, I doubt rolling resistance is at the top on most people’s list.

John
He spec’ed them. That is critical. Had he not done that, those kind of tires would not have come to market. Its not like Panaracer was already making them (they were not).

The fact that he does not personally mix up the rubber and pour it in the moulds himself is pretty much a non-issue, IMO.

How many bike companies weld up their own frames? Or produce the steel or Al they are made of?

Last edited by Kapusta; 07-25-20 at 06:20 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-25-20, 06:29 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Debating the pro's and con's of 700c vs 650c is nothing new. 700c will roll a little smoother, I'll give them that and on rough surfaces that will certainly help.

I ride 650c on a custom bike as I'm only 5'1", and on a group ride a few years ago I rolled away on a decent from a bunch of people on 700c bikes. SO many factors to take into account yet its not like the 650c wheels were an anchor that was holding me back.
Old 07-25-20, 07:20 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Jan Heine and Rene Herse (previously Compass) have always said they worked with Panaracer to develop their tire. Panaracers are well thought of and Rene Herse took a no compromise risk to work with Panaracer to develop a better tire and make (and market) them in previously neglected (or out of fashion) sizes.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Continental's decision to offer GP5000 in 32mm width is unrelated to anything Jan Heine did.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-25-20, 11:36 PM
70sSanO

I would think wider tires came about initially for use on gravel bikes since the wider tires provided better shock absorption and stability. The additional comfort on semi-smooth road surfaces was a plus and the fact there wasn’t a rolling penalty made it an even better choice.

700c/29er is the dominant wheel size and will continue to be so. If testing proved that a different size Is better the industry would probably not change after all these years. Too many bikes are already out there for decades. It would have to be earth shattering improvements.

The 29er is 622 and one would think that is was economically more feasible to use the same diameter as a traditional road rim than conduct extensive testing for the exact optimized diameter. As... is 622 really better than 610 or 630, or is just being better than a 26er (559) all that was needed?

John
Old 07-26-20, 12:36 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I have considered this question over the years, as I like the 26" platform but, in real world application, do find 700c to roll faster. If only it weren't so.
What I think is that it goes beyond tire size to construction considerations.

Until recently, it was hard to get a 26" size tire designed for speed. Most come out of the off road or touring genre where durability is prioritized over speed. The same goes for wheelsets. Again, until recently, most 26" wheels were build for toughness rather than speed while 700c has a longer history (and trickle down effect) related to racing like lower spoke counts, aero design, light weight materials etc... And, lastly the gearing/geometry of 26" bikes usually hasn't been optimized for speed (unlike many 700c road bikes).

Add all those factors up and 700c has been historically faster than 26".

I'd like to see two similar bikes, using similarly designed wheelsets, with 26" and 700c tires go toe to toe. A part of me would be cheering for the underdog
I have no basis in theory or experience in this area, but would a comparison between a 650c road bike and a similar "quality" 700c road bike come close to the? Similar in quality and design of frameset, wheels, componentry, gearing (meaning the geared differently at the crank and/or cassette so the functional gearing the rider experiences is the same). Maybe the rider would have to be small-ish so that either frame/wheel set up could be made to fit well.

Just writing that, even with good faith effort in controlling, there is so many possible meaningful differences other than simply wheel size. Aerodynamics of the rider being possibly huge.
Old 07-26-20, 08:43 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

As I mentioned above, ETRTO recently revised their standards as to the standard rim width for various tire widths, and shifted to wider rims for many nominal tire widths. So manufacturers like Continental are adapting to this change, and labeling tires based on the expectation of being mounted on the wider rims per that spec.

Thus they now make the GP 5000 slightly narrower for a given labeled size, expecting the wider rims now in use to compensate somewhat.

Otto
Old 07-26-20, 05:49 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
fatbikes may be niche, but they are also by far the most versatile mountain bike type out there. Perhaps not the fastest, but a front suspended fatbike'll easily ride anything a skinny full squish enduro rides.
lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.