Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Is foam rolling that effective?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-20, 02:24 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts

Had a difficult weekend, went on Tuesday for a light ride and Wednesday for intervals and my legs were still real heavy. Foam rolled a lot at night, went out Thursday and legs were a lot better already, probably not super fresh but considering they were tired, I did intervals, they might have even been worse, but no, a lot better. Foam rolled again last night, and while I will rest today, just from walking the legs feel great again.
Old 07-25-20, 02:45 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I find foam rollers awkward. I prefer a rolling pin for my legs.

Seriously. Several years ago I got a heavy marble rolling pin as a gift, since I like to bake. Mostly it's a kitchen decoration. But a couple of years ago I decided to try it on my sore legs after a hard workout ride or physical therapy session with squats and lunges. It worked great. The cool marble felt good, and the weight meant I didn't need to work my arms much to apply the right pressure. My legs felt fresher the next day.

I only use the foam roller for my back and even then it's still really awkward compared with the rolling pin. For my back and neck I prefer a double headed percussion massager with a long handle. I'll use it on my legs too some days.
Old 07-25-20, 03:59 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Glad it works for you - I've tried it a few times, couldn't feel any difference. But, I carry around a thick layer of relaxed muscle (some call it fat...) that might be absorbing the beneficial impact before it reaches its target...
Old 07-25-20, 04:11 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Active recovery and movement is more effective.
Old 07-25-20, 04:39 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
I found "The Stick" superior to a foam roller. Light touch -- DEEP IN or in between.

https://www.thestick.net/
Old 07-25-20, 06:25 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Active recovery and movement is more effective.
Hard to do in the evening while watching TV with the wife. Potentially if one has rollers and it isn't too loud.

Even then, you don't feel that nice pain when you find a spot...
Old 07-26-20, 11:23 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Effective at improving recovery? I don't think so, personally.

Effective at improving the pain associated with foam rolling? Yes.
Old 07-26-20, 06:47 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I find foam rollers awkward. I prefer a rolling pin for my legs.
I bought a foam roller and found it hard and awkward, gave it away. Someone told me about rolling pins I find it feels awesome, it's easy to do and they're easy to find if you're travelling.
Old 07-27-20, 08:13 PM
Hikebikerun

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 ; Felt Versa Speed 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts
I think the foam roller and “the stick” are equally effective but I find the stick (or a roller) to be easier to use for the legs and easier to modulate pressure.

It’s also easier if you have child slave labor (pic taken 1min ago lol):

Old 07-27-20, 09:19 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Foam rolling didn't do much for me. I have much better results with a percussive massager (expensive but much easier to use than a roller) and recovery rides (free except I'm often too lazy to do them).
Old 07-27-20, 09:34 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
I find them roughly equivalent to the concept of massage. In the "out with the bad blood / in with the good" sense.

Of course, everyone's musculature and location of aches differs, so people will often have different results with similar use.

I've had fairly good results, given my current musculature and build. Back in the day during years of very hard training for running and moderate training with cycling, I found motion to be the best and massage to be a close second. A good kettle bell in a puny size also worked for me then, and does equally well now, as it has a small enough outer shape with sufficient weight to "dig in" where it can help (much the same as "deep tissue" massage seems to work.

If you find it helps, great. Many don't ... yet, many do. I do, generally speaking. On rear of shoulders, back, glutes/hips, hamstrings and quads. Motion works better for me, usually, but then old injuries preclude "too much" motion recovery. And so, I do the motion I can even when I'm achy, but find massage, foam and kettle bell "rolling" along with soaking (in very hot water) aids recovery.