Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Big to little chainring shifting help

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-01-20, 11:20 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

So I just changed out my chainrings from a 48 tooth big ring to a 52. I have an 11-36 in the rear I believe. I never shifted out of the big chainring on the old setup, but on bigger hills I feel the need now. What is the most efficient way to do this? Obviously when you are already in a lighter cog on the back then shift to the small up front, the resistance is way to light. Read a few thoughts on shifting both front and back at same time, or shifting the rear to a few gears tougher before changing the front. Anyways, seem like a few schools of thought. What is the most efficient when going back and forth between chainrings.
Old 08-01-20, 11:36 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Guessing that the small ring is 34t, it's going to be a big, clunky shift. If everything is adjusted well, shifting down one or two cogs at the same time will work.

Shifting to the small ring before the hill gets too steep may help,
Old 08-01-20, 11:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
I have sometimes dropped my chain when shifting both, so I generally drop 2-3 cogs first then shift to the small ring (seems to happen more when the chain needs cleaning/relubing). How many cogs depends on how much smaller the small ring is, to turn the same cadence. On 53/39, for me it's usually 2. 50/34, it's 3.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-01-20, 12:04 PM
eflayer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
one of the beauties of Di2

is you can program it to do the jumps in the back automatically when you shift the front. or because Di2 shifts so fast manually i just do two quick taps on the rear shifter each time i know i'm going to shift down in the front. either works well. but alas that is Di2.
Old 08-01-20, 10:32 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
So I just changed out my chainrings from a 48 tooth big ring to a 52. I have an 11-36 in the rear I believe. I never shifted out of the big chainring on the old setup, but on bigger hills I feel the need now. What is the most efficient way to do this? Obviously when you are already in a lighter cog on the back then shift to the small up front, the resistance is way to light. Read a few thoughts on shifting both front and back at same time, or shifting the rear to a few gears tougher before changing the front. Anyways, seem like a few schools of thought. What is the most efficient when going back and forth between chainrings.
I usually shift a couple of sprockets on the back before I shift chainrings - but immediately (like a half-second) before. My Campagnolo shifter allows me to multiple shift (5 higher, 3 lower) in one sweep, so a multiple shift is almost instantaneous. And you want to shift the front before things get too steep - the FD is shifting the “live” run of chain - the part that’s under tension (Unlike the RD, which is shifting the slack run of chain). If there’s too much load on the chain, the FD spring won’t be strong enough to shift the chain, so better to “set up” the small ring while you can still ease up momentarily while shifting (ie, before it gets too steep)

Last edited by Litespud; 08-01-20 at 10:38 PM.