Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wider crankset info

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wider crankset info

Old 08-01-20, 03:29 PM
Sleroy159

Bikes: Schwinn Beach cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wider crankset info

Newbie here to bicycles but a 30 Master Mechanic. I've got a Schwinn Beach cruiser that I'm modifying because I'm 6'4 260lbs and these bikes are not made for us big guys. I'm picking up a set of crank brothers Step 2 large pedals and am going to convert my single crank to a 3 piece but want something wider than stock but not as wide as motorized cransets. Also want the crank arms to be offset to keep my size 14 feet away from chain cover. 68mm bottom bracket
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-20, 04:03 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You can also use pedal extenders, like these: https://www.amazon.com/PROKTH-Extend.../dp/B07BNZXHTV
Old 08-01-20, 04:43 PM
Sleroy159

Bikes: Schwinn Beach cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would rather get the wider axle and offset arms. Just so many choices out there.
Old 08-01-20, 05:13 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleroy159
Newbie here to bicycles but a 30 Master Mechanic. I've got a Schwinn Beach cruiser that I'm modifying because I'm 6'4 260lbs and these bikes are not made for us big guys. I'm picking up a set of crank brothers Step 2 large pedals and am going to convert my single crank to a 3 piece but want something wider than stock but not as wide as motorized cransets. Also want the crank arms to be offset to keep my size 14 feet away from chain cover. 68mm bottom bracket
Any help would be appreciated.
you could just get a longer BB spindle, but your chainring is likely to hit your chain cover. And if you move the chain cover outward, you’re moving it closer to your feet. Seems like you want to move your pedals out, but nothing else. Your options seem to be either a crankset with a high Q factor built in, wider pedals, or pedal extenders. Most cranksets aim to minimize Q factor, so I’m not sure if there are many options there. These (https://gothslove.myshopify.com/prod...SABEgI7vPD_BwE) look pretty cool

Last edited by Litespud; 08-01-20 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-01-20, 06:08 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
Altering the width of the crank will effect the chainline of the crank and make your drivetrain run worse. I agree that pedal extenders are strong enough and are the better option.

The other thing you could do is to use a square taper crankset and use a longer than specified axle and then use spacers to bring the chainring back to its original chainline.