Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

winding up for a 200 on a 250 track

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-12, 05:58 PM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
winding up for a 200 on a 250 track

I don't want to come across as obsessing by posting on this here forum. But I'm told that a flying 200 on a 250m track is way different than the likes of the track here in Colorado Springs. I'm racing in Frisco to sort of get used to that track before I go at it in LA (and I have family and business in both areas so I have good excuses to make these trips). Anyway, are there any videos or diagrams that show the proper route to winding up for a 200 on a 250 track? My coach mentioned something about a "corkscrew" or something. Please excuse my rookie question. I just want to get it in my head as I won't have a whole lot of time to practice before I go for it.

Also, Carleton, the flyer has been posted on superdrome.com (and my coach agrees to leave the race wheels at home because it's not worth damaging them in travel).
Old 03-20-12, 06:53 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not specific to your question, but should answer some of your other questions... https://upupup.aboc.com.au/the-book/sitemap
Old 03-20-12, 09:30 PM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dalai
Not specific to your question, but should answer some of your other questions... https://upupup.aboc.com.au/the-book/sitemap
Thanks! There are a lot of incomplete sections, I wonder if that's a work in progress? But what's there is great!
Old 03-20-12, 09:51 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I believe it is a work in progress. It is being written by a Coach working locally with our National Talent Identification Squad. I'll ask him next time I see him how the writing of the other incomplete sections is going...
Old 03-21-12, 02:10 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Although not a direct answer to your query, this should also have some good information - https://www.analyticcycling.com/.

Every 250 track will have slightly different characteristics, but the general conceptual line for a 250 has you doing 3 laps with the last lap being timed right in between turns 1 and 2 right to the line. I call the laps 3,2,1, because it's easier to remember this for me as th laps are counted down in the lead up to your run. You'll start your race on the apron on the back straight with 3.5 laps to go. Enter track and get some reasonable speed up to keep you upright. Hit turn 3 at the red line and cut a level line across through turn 4. Spend lap 3 working a shallow line to the top of the track throughout the whole lap. Conserve as much energy as possible doing this. Use the straights to move up, and cut a level line across the banks. When you start lap 2, you should be at the rail. This lap will be similar to riding the rail at a 333 before you jump. You'll start a seated acceleration coming down out of turn 2, and you'll jump out of the saddle in turn 3. Stay high in turn 4 and hug the rail as you come down the straight. At the pursuit line on the home straight you'll drift down the track towards a point on the red line in the middle of turn 2. This brings you into the Final lap, or Lap 1 as I like to call it. THe corkscrew your coach was talking about is this final approach. Picture a penny being dropped into a funnel. You'll hit the timing strip about midway across the sprinters lane, and you should be exiting turn 4 at the black line. Ride like hell to the finish.
Old 03-21-12, 03:00 PM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by taras0000
Although not a direct answer to your query, this should also have some good information - https://www.analyticcycling.com/.

Every 250 track will have slightly different characteristics, but the general conceptual line for a 250 has you doing 3 laps with the last lap being timed right in between turns 1 and 2 right to the line. I call the laps 3,2,1, because it's easier to remember this for me as th laps are counted down in the lead up to your run. You'll start your race on the apron on the back straight with 3.5 laps to go. Enter track and get some reasonable speed up to keep you upright. Hit turn 3 at the red line and cut a level line across through turn 4. Spend lap 3 working a shallow line to the top of the track throughout the whole lap. Conserve as much energy as possible doing this. Use the straights to move up, and cut a level line across the banks. When you start lap 2, you should be at the rail. This lap will be similar to riding the rail at a 333 before you jump. You'll start a seated acceleration coming down out of turn 2, and you'll jump out of the saddle in turn 3. Stay high in turn 4 and hug the rail as you come down the straight. At the pursuit line on the home straight you'll drift down the track towards a point on the red line in the middle of turn 2. This brings you into the Final lap, or Lap 1 as I like to call it. THe corkscrew your coach was talking about is this final approach. Picture a penny being dropped into a funnel. You'll hit the timing strip about midway across the sprinters lane, and you should be exiting turn 4 at the black line. Ride like hell to the finish.
This is perfect and very helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to write that out!

Mark
Old 03-22-12, 04:55 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
this is a vid from manchester., which is a 250. Watch it once and then you'll be able to reverse engineer the approach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&h...&v=WZthA69L5XQ
Old 03-23-12, 11:09 AM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by taras0000
this is a vid from manchester., which is a 250. Watch it once and then you'll be able to reverse engineer the approach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&h...&v=WZthA69L5XQ
Nice, thank you!
Old 03-26-12, 10:33 AM
joshpants

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When are you doing this?
Keep us posted how it goes for you.
Old 03-26-12, 10:43 PM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Frisco is a week from Sat (April 7) - Flying 200, 5 lap scratch and sprints
LA is August 21 - Time Trials - 200, Kilo and Team Sprint

I'll give you a report.
Old 03-28-12, 10:01 PM
MarkWmTyson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mark;

Grab me Sat and we'll run you through both Frisco and LA.

Mark
Old 03-28-12, 10:56 PM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarkWmTyson
Mark;

Grab me Sat and we'll run you through both Frisco and LA.

Mark
Hey Mark - unfortunately I can't be there on Sat, so I am going on Sunday instead. Any chance you'll be out there Sunday? Otherwise, I am going to try to be at the track on Tuesday as well...
Old 03-28-12, 11:09 PM
MarkWmTyson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No...I have to do some stuff in Boulder on Sun...try to catch up on Tues.

Mark
Old 03-29-12, 02:22 PM
joshpants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When does CSVA Tues/Thurs night racing begin?
Old 03-29-12, 09:37 PM
MarkWmTyson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems to me it's the third week of May this year...sure details will be on the web site shortly...

Mark
Old 03-30-12, 07:09 AM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No...I have to do some stuff in Boulder on Sun...try to catch up on Tues.

Mark
Cool, I'll be there probably between 2-4. Hopefully I'll catch you. Have a great weekend. Thanks!
Old 03-30-12, 08:36 AM
joshpants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems to me it's the third week of May this year...sure details will be on the web site shortly...

Mark
See you soon, in that case.
Thanks!
-josh