Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Riding fixed after a broken ankle

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 07:35 PM
thedapperest

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey y'all I know but I've been gone for quite some time but I've still been riding my trusty Flite 100 nearly every day--well I was until February 6th when I broke my ankle skateboarding. Since then I've been on crutches (thank god nothing's atrophied), but on Monday I'm gonna have one of the screws in my ankle removed and doc says I'll be able to walk out of the hospital. Not trying to rush back into riding, but I was wondering if anyone else here has had a similar experience? When I eventually do hop on the bike again, I'll probably have to dig up my brake, since I doubt my left leg is gonna be strong enough to skid.
Old 05-18-17, 08:12 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by thedapperest
Hey y'all I know but I've been gone for quite some time but I've still been riding my trusty Flite 100 nearly every day--well I was until February 6th when I broke my ankle skateboarding. Since then I've been on crutches (thank god nothing's atrophied), but on Monday I'm gonna have one of the screws in my ankle removed and doc says I'll be able to walk out of the hospital. Not trying to rush back into riding, but I was wondering if anyone else here has had a similar experience? When I eventually do hop on the bike again, I'll probably have to dig up my brake, since I doubt my left leg is gonna be strong enough to skid.
I had to get back to biking from surgery once.. it wasn't a broken bone, but after sinus surgery. It took a while to build up the stamina again. Don't work yourself too hard-just go back gradual and work your way up.

Dave
Old 05-18-17, 10:03 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Thirteen weeks no walking and no atrophy? Get the tape out. I bet that calf is skinny. I was off my left foot for 3 months due to a broken heel and my calf shrunk down to a needle. "Walking out of the hospital" is WAY different than being strong and stable. It took a long time for my Gumby to go away.

In all seriousness, you might start with a freewheel until the break feel less tentative. Go back to fixed when the ankle feels super solid. I hope you recover fast and whole.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 05-19-17 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-18-17, 10:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Die hard fix gear rider here. Going freewheel on those bikes is (for me) a sacrilege. I would start my riding on my geared bike until I had built up some strength.

Now, skidding is something I never did and never will. All my fix gears have brakes. When I am in recovery mode I use them more.

Ben
Old 05-18-17, 10:38 PM
scoho

Bikes: steel track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd combine a slow return to the bike with a targeted rehabilitation program that promotes bone density (walking at first, then some light jogging and jump rope) and strengthens the muscles and connective tissue all throughout the affected leg.

Your bones have likely lost a lot of density due to the lack of weight-bearing demanded of them for the past few months, and my strong suspicion is that riding a bike (especially fixed gear) applies the kind of chronic stress that is enough to endanger the integrity of compromised bones without being enough to really promote strengthening. Plus, if you crash, compromised bone density plus a lack of muscle for cushioning puts you at a higher risk of injury.
Old 05-18-17, 10:41 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Both of my legs atrophied when I was on crutches with a broken ankle.

Post the X-ray! Here's mine:

I had a month in a cast, a month in a boot, and then I was riding on a trainer for a month before I ventured forth. Recovery took a lonnnnnng time. It was almost 3 years before I could stand up on the pedals to pound up a hill for an extended period of time.
Old 05-19-17, 07:47 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I'd ignore Ben and consider riding freewheel for a bit if for no other reason than you've been off a bike for a while.
Old 05-19-17, 06:50 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
How's your range of motion in that ankle? Are you going to be able to tolerate foot retention? If not, consider a single freewheel and brakes until you get that range of motion back.
Old 05-19-17, 07:22 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott

I had a month in a cast, a month in a boot, and then I was riding on a trainer for a month before I ventured forth. Recovery took a lonnnnnng time. It was almost 3 years before I could stand up on the pedals to pound up a hill for an extended period of time.
Hi, I just wanted to reach out to you. I broke my heels, had hardware in them. You should be concerned, because at least with me eventually the peroneous longus tendon abraded on the hardware resulting in the tendon to lengthen. Unfortunately the big toe ended up lifting 3/4" supinating the foot. Then a surgeon ended up having to do some major surgery to flatten both of my foot.
Old 05-19-17, 07:37 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I still say we need a Post your X-Ray thread.

See if I can dig up the cat scans from my broken knee.

-Tim-
Old 05-19-17, 07:48 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see the point of asking here. Get an opinion from doctors, esp. doctors who treat sports injuries.

After any serious injury such as yours or even after grade 2/3 ankle sprains, it's common sense that you go through physical therapy. Even if you can't afford a lot of sessions with the copay or don't get approved for a full set of treatments (I have no idea what your insurance situ is), at least go to a few sessions so you know what exercises to go through.
Old 05-20-17, 03:04 PM
thedapperest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the X-Ray from when it broke:

Techically I broke my leg and not my ankle since it's my fibula, and you can't tell from that angle, but my tibia was partially dislocated as well. My syndesmotic ligament was disconnected which is why I couldn't walk for six weeks after the bone itself had healed. There's a plate and a few screws in there now.
Old 05-20-17, 06:11 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I'd probably start with some long walks until I hopped on the bike.
Old 05-21-17, 06:25 PM
thedapperest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Philasteve
I'd probably start with some long walks until I hopped on the bike.
That's the plan, not gonna hop on until I feel like it's strong enough
Old 05-22-17, 09:54 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott

question... do they tap those screw holes, or do they just drill them bad boys right in?
Old 05-22-17, 10:03 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
question... do they tap those screw holes, or do they just drill them bad boys right in?
I know I should HTFU, but I wasn't fully conscious for the surgery. They need to tap the holes; just cranking the screws in would shatter the bones.

I met a guy on the trail about a year and a half ago, who had the same break, the same surgery, and the same surgeon I did. He said the screws were really bothering him and he talked the guy into removing a few screws in his office! Mine, fortunately, haven't bothered me at all, so even though it is an open invitation to TSA gate-groping, I haven't bothered to get mine removed.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 05-22-17 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-22-17, 12:51 PM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm sorry, did you say that they would remove the screws at his office?

Old 05-22-17, 02:54 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I still say we need a Post your X-Ray thread.

See if I can dig up the cat scans from my broken knee.

-Tim-
I have one of my pelvis, but it shows all of the... soft tissue as well.
Old 05-22-17, 03:55 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Unkle Rico
I'm sorry, did you say that they would remove the screws at his office?

There have been a couple of instances where I thought I could just slit the skin open and crank a few out with my torque wrench, but it would kind of suck to back one of those screws half-way out and then have the screw head strip or snap off. Imagine having to crank the rest of it out with a vice-grip wrench, or hammer it back in with a ball-peen hammer.
Old 05-22-17, 04:06 PM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Old 05-22-17, 04:28 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's always amazing how many people seek medical advice on the internet. Are deductibles and copays that bad? That, and a large percentage of people are uncovered.

If you can't visit a doctor I can understand. But if you can, there's no point asking here.
Old 05-22-17, 06:07 PM
thedapperest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update guys: Got out of surgery this morning, my left leg is super weak and I still need to use crutch to walk, but that was expected. Saving old tubes has really come in handy in the way of rehab. Also, I'm not seeking medical advice per se, I'm just trying to hear what other people in a similar situation have done, I don't think my doctor knows much in the way of fixed gear bikes.

Last edited by thedapperest; 05-22-17 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-22-17, 06:26 PM
scoho

Bikes: steel track

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update guys: Got out of surgery this morning, my left leg is super weak and I still need to use crutch to walk, but that was expected. Saving old tubes has really come in handy in the way of rehab. Also, I'm not seeking medical advice per se, I'm just trying to hear what other people in a similar situation have done, I don't think my doctor knows much in the way of fixed gear bikes.
Damn, get well soon!

By the way, checked out your Pedalroom and dig your bikes. Are you really that young? You're a better and clearer writer than most of us olds.
Old 05-22-17, 06:39 PM
thedapperest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scoho
Damn, get well soon!

By the way, checked out your Pedalroom and dig your bikes. Are you really that young? You're a better and clearer writer than most of us olds.
Actually I'm 18 now, broke my ankle the day before my birthday I appreciate the compliments though; and I guess I can be a stickler for grammar at times.
Old 05-23-17, 01:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by speshelite
It's always amazing how many people seek medical advice on the internet. Are deductibles and copays that bad? That, and a large percentage of people are uncovered.

If you can't visit a doctor I can understand. But if you can, there's no point asking here.
While I agree that in principle, one shouldn't seek medical advice solely on the Internet, the point to asking here is that only a fraction of medical professionals are cyclists, and an even smaller fraction ride fixed gear bikes to any extent. And who knows, maybe some of the forum participants might be in that small subset of fixed gear riding medical professionals.