Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

So Many Bike Computer Choices these Days

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

So Many Bike Computer Choices these Days

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-19, 10:56 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
according to this video. You should buy a quadlock, and never leave home without a smart phone.

I was thinking to swap my edge 520 for a 1030, but Maybe I'll keep my 520 and just start riding with a Phone.
Old 01-04-19, 04:27 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Everyone I know with a Garmin has had problems with it. Buy an ELEMNT BOLT and be done with it, they seem to be rock solid. Garmin really needs some better software engineers.
Haven't had any issues with my current 1030, or previous 820, or previous 510, or previous 500 From what I have read on the forums, Wahoo has had as many issues reported by users as Garmin. My perception is the Garmin / Wahoo thing is like Ford vs Chevy - loyal followers for both products who don't like the other.
Old 01-04-19, 05:42 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
This thread coincided with me starting to look at using maps a lot more and doing some research on various options.

I think my personal conclusion is I don’t need more than a fairly basic computer for speed / ave speed, distance etc. which only needs a new battery once a year as opposed to having to remember to take it off the bike and charge it regularly which I’d inevitably forget to do and find it’s flat just when I want it.

Whenever I want maps / navigation most smart phones have better displays than the cycle computers as well as offering a variety of options as opposed to being tied to one and I’m sure are probably more user friendly for drawing / plotting routes as well.

Just my 2p’s worth and if anyone can convince me I’m missing something I’m happy to be educated but I’m not concerned with heart rate / watts … if I was I’d probably buy a Cateye Padrone Smart + or similar to avoid the regular need of remembering to charge it.
Old 01-04-19, 11:23 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
The Wahoo companion app made setting up the Bolt comically simple - no $*@#&ing around with the entering data via a couple little buttons. Sending GPS routes to the computer is also much easier than with the Garmin. Well... at least it was a lot easier when I switched to Wahoo and never looked back. I guess it's possible Garmin is catching up. But, they blew it for me.

I also like that Wahoo is a cyclist's brand. The founder - Chip Hawkins - is an avid (and strong) cyclist. They're not making marine, aviation, pet (really) products. Just stuff for cyclists and runners. Chip and several of the engineers are active on the forums - listing to complaints, bugs, suggestions, likes, etc. And... here's the big one... they react to that customer feedback. Pretty cool huh.
Old 01-04-19, 10:33 PM
Metieval

I found mapping via phones to create TCX files a Pain. It is so much easier to use RidewithGPS . com on the PC. Then after that, the Garmin is just a plug in then drag and drop the TCX file. super simple & non issue.

However, I pretty much only made a TCX file once. I still us a turn right on <insert road 1> at mile 10, turn Left on <insert Road 2> at mile 12 etc.... cheat sheets. Zip lock bag for the track phone. can read the cues threw the zip lock. Never had an issue yet.
Old 01-04-19, 10:39 PM
Metieval

As for logging miles. and if you already have a smart phone then strava or ridewithgps. start recording turn screen off , put it in your pocket and be done with it.
this is pretty slick from Cateye for a basic speed/distance/time wireless bike computer.

CatEye-Quick-CC-RS100W
Old 01-05-19, 01:10 PM
chris406

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My only recommendation is not to get a Garmin 820 with the touch screen. It works great but the touch screen isn't user friendly when riding gravel in harsh conditions or with gloves on. In 2017 during the Land Run 100's famous freezing rain conditions the touch screen went haywire on me, the same year at Dirty Kanza 200 I spent about 3 hours in a torrential downpour that affected the touch screen as well. Most people at these types of races will recommend a Wahoo or the Garmin 520.
Old 01-05-19, 06:28 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by chris406
My only recommendation is not to get a Garmin 820 with the touch screen. It works great but the touch screen isn't user friendly when riding gravel in harsh conditions or with gloves on. In 2017 during the Land Run 100's famous freezing rain conditions the touch screen went haywire on me, the same year at Dirty Kanza 200 I spent about 3 hours in a torrential downpour that affected the touch screen as well. Most people at these types of races will recommend a Wahoo or the Garmin 520.
Thats a good time to use the screen lock feature - push the power button and it's right up at the top. I used the 820 at DK200 and had no problems with it in the rain of 2017 if that's when you are talking about the rain, but I didn't get in the downpour, was ahead of it by an hour probably. The 1030 screen is very robust in the rain BTW.