Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Waxing Chain Just Trend or usefull?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Waxing Chain Just Trend or usefull?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-23, 08:19 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Ignoring Shimano .....

.... or using competitors' products.
so no issues using the shimano quick link multiple times? I have re-used them 2X but have been nervous about using them more than that.
Old 10-25-23, 08:28 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
boeshield T9 did not do really great in this test. I have been using it but think i will move to something further up the list.
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/
I am skeptical of the test. Particularly on chain/drive train component life. It doesn't match my real world experience at all.
Old 10-25-23, 08:32 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I am skeptical of the test. Particularly on chain/drive train component life. It doesn't match my real world experience at all.
it does match mine. I don't ride in wet or dirty conditions and oil with T9 every 100-200 miles and keep my chain clean but my ultegra 11 speed chains get between 1000-1800 miles before they exceed the stretch limit. I started reading how people were getting 3000-5000 miles waxing which led me to that website.
Old 10-25-23, 09:47 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 349 Posts
so no issues using the shimano quick link multiple times? I have re-used them 2X but have been nervous about using them more than that.
I re-use the links until they don't snap firmly together any longer, sometimes more than 25 uses. I've never had one fail on the road on me yet. I also carry cheap knock-off links in my seat bag in case I have a failure, but haven't needed them yet. HTH NOTE: If you can push them open or shut with just your fingers and not much effort, use a new one.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 10-25-23, 10:04 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Their test method looks thorough to me. Especially in terms of comparing x,y,z products directly in different conditions. All lubes can all work reasonably well in real life, but some products are comparatively better than others in certain conditions. I find this website great for choosing lubes and currently favour Silca SS drip wax.
Old 10-25-23, 11:01 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
You must do short tours, at least thus far in your waxing experience. On a multi month tour you pretty much have to lube, right? Some may do it, but I certainly am not going to imersion wax on tour.

I have to admit that I am confused with what folks are referring to as drip wax. Do they include the many parafin based liquid lubes? If so that includes a lot of the liquid lubes on the market. I'd imagine that most folks don't really differentiate whether a lube is parafin or oil and say they oil if using a parafin based liquid lube like prolink or boesheild.
It's true that our tours have been rather short after I started waxing. Having kids will do that. For next summer we're planning a 800km tour with the kids. If we set out with freshly waxed chains I probably need to drip wax two two three times in that time. I'm planning on using the Mariposa Flower Power as that has seemingly fared well in tests. If I don't just take a hunk of my latest purchase, Rambo Wax and combine it naphta or hexane.

Typically a drip wax is a hard wax that has been made liquid with an evaporating solvent of some sort. That way the wax can flow inside the chain and adhere to metal surfaces when applied and remain in place after the solvent has evaporated.

You get drip waxes in two main flavors. first is the water emulsified, where some dark magic has been used to emulsify hard wax with water so that the wax is in liquid form until the water evaporates. Examples of this are squirt wax and flower power. Some of these are completely biodegradable.

The second is hydrocarbon solvent waxes which use a hydrocarbon solvent capable of dissolving wax. Quicker dry times but worse for the environment. Examples are Silca super secret and white lightning clean ride.

The paraffin or wax based liquid lubes are hybrids of sorts which have significant portions of waxes mixed with oil and solvents. I'm ot sure how these work, but from wax based lubes I'd only ever use Rex Black diamond as it's relatively clean (if applied to a deep cleaned chain), it's one of the lowest friction lubes out there and it can last near 1000km per application.
Old 10-25-23, 12:47 PM
Racing Dan

Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Their test method looks thorough to me. Especially in terms of comparing x,y,z products directly in different conditions. All lubes can all work reasonably well in real life, but some products are comparatively better than others in certain conditions. I find this website great for choosing lubes and currently favour Silca SS drip wax.
ZFC has a terrible habit of burying the actual test protocol and replication intervals deep inside silly long write ups, that no one reads except the headline. Not to mention the even more terrible habit of polluting the likely/possibly good data with assumptions, leading to unsupported conclusions. For instance calculating the combined savings on chainrings and cassettes based on the assumption it needs to replaced every 3 chains, no matter how long said chains last. Im betting you a months pay that's flat out wrong. Yet ppl regurgitate it as undisputed truth.
Old 10-25-23, 02:41 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Shimano recommends not re-using their quick links and they are spendy what are people doing in that regard if pulling chains every week or so?
You don't pull your chain every week or so. This has been covered extensively in this thread.

Also, FWIW, many of us do, in fact re-use the links as long as they require some effort to snap in and snap off.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-25-23, 03:36 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Also, FWIW, many of us do, in fact re-use the links as long as they require some effort to snap in and snap off.
Or just use a Connex link, which can be used indefinitely.
Old 10-25-23, 03:37 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Waxing your chain only works if it’s done Brazilian style.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 10-25-23, 04:11 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by bbbean
You don't pull your chain every week or so. This has been covered extensively in this thread.

I guess i got hung up on pulling the chain every 300 miles and doing the wax treatment. Maybe I misread that. I did think it was crazy that Shimano said replace the links each time as mine always seem to be solid snapping on and off after the second use.
Old 10-25-23, 07:12 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
it is not just the shimano quick link snapping in that apparently matters. mine recently failed when removing for a wax session. one of the pins came out on one half. due to time constraints i used it anyway and lived to tell the tale. i inspected the plate and it appeared to be the same on each end, meaning there was a similar recess like the other pin would engage in. it felt ok so i took the risk. 400ish miles and it performed fine. since then it is now in the land fill.
Likes For spelger:
Old 10-25-23, 09:00 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,484 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
.... calculating the combined savings on chainrings and cassettes based on the assumption it needs to replaced every 3 chains, no matter how long said chains last. Im betting you a months pay that's flat out wrong.

....the even more terrible habit of polluting the likely/possibly good data with assumptions, leading to unsupported conclusions. .......
Hand me that irony please ....
Old 10-26-23, 03:28 AM
Dictatokerr

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Waxing your chain can be a game-changer! It's not just a trend. I've had less gunk build-up and smoother shifts. I use Squirt Lube, and it's been great. Give it a try!
Old 10-26-23, 05:44 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
I notice that the KMC 11 speed MissingLinks say reusable but the 12 speed ones say non reusable. How seriously do folks take that destinction? Do other brands make the same destinction?
Old 10-26-23, 06:13 AM
jadmt

one common theme i keep reading is how much less gunk and easier shifting but I have no gunk build up on my chains and my shifting is excellent, my reason for thinking about is increased chain life.
Old 10-26-23, 06:25 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,777 Posts
one common theme i keep reading is how much less gunk and easier shifting but I have no gunk build up on my chains...
There are people here that will tell you this is physically impossible to accomplish (I'm not one of them).
Likes For smd4:
Old 10-26-23, 08:33 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
There are people here that will tell you this is physically impossible to accomplish (I'm not one of them).
that depends almost completely how challenging your conditions are what type of riding you do.
Old 10-30-23, 05:18 AM
pedsurgkb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great article on this in Bicycling. Real science showing friction wear and durability of different lubricants
Old 10-31-23, 08:04 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
waxing the chain

Originally Posted by lupo68288
Hello,
I'm currently thinking to wax my new bike (arroves in one month). Currently I only use Lube on all of my bikes, but I have heard, that waxing is better than lubing, because of the consumption of chains. It waxing really good or is it just a new trend and don't have any advantages? What are your experiences with waxing your chain and would you recommend it? And what chain wax do you use?
Seems like whatever is suggested about half the riders like and approve and half hate and don't approve. Waxing my chain I'm with the half that approve.
Likes For Mark Dominck:
Old 11-01-23, 01:55 AM
Racing Dan

Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
I notice that the KMC 11 speed MissingLinks say reusable but the 12 speed ones say non reusable. How seriously do folks take that destinction? Do other brands make the same destinction?
Some links are reusable, some not. Even the reusable ones go loose after a few uses. Cant say I've had any issues with loose links, but it sure isn't reassuring mounting a loose fitting link. Its a downside to repeated off bike waxing, but just get more links. Imo you should replace reusable links about every 5 uses or about every 1000 mi if you are only hot waxing. Single use links even more frequent, but more than one use is possible.

For this reason and the faff associated with hot waxing, I tend to only hot wax before the chain go on the bike and drip wax for the duration of the chain.
Old 11-01-23, 07:42 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
I'm with you, waxing is much easier and cleaner
Old 11-02-23, 01:21 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
I'm just using a small $9 slow cooker and $20 ultrasonic cleaner. The initial investment in equipment and wax pays for itself in the long run. No need to buy big bottles of chain lube or do major degreasing on my drivetrain. Everything is so much cleaner nowadays. Plus I rate the difficulty less than bleeding hydraulic brakes or setting up tubeless tires. It's that easy. I'm definitely a believer now! Lol
Old 11-04-23, 09:28 AM
jadmt

decided to take the wax plunge..Amazon Silca Stripper $31 (they had a $5 instant coupon), Jenson USA Silca secret blend hot wax $32 (instant pop up 20% coupon) and SIlca super secret drip wax $25 so $88 total. I use shimano 11 speed chains so they are $42 and got around 1800 miles on my last one so if I can get a full season (7000-8000 miles) out of one chain I will be money ahead...or I wasted a bunch of money
Old 11-04-23, 11:26 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
jadmt At 7-8,000 miles, you'd be money ahead on 1 chain. At 4,000 miles (double-ish your current life) you'd be money ahead on 2 chains.

Welcome to the club! 🥳
Likes For base2:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.