Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

uncrossed spokes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

uncrossed spokes

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-15, 12:18 PM
drbenjamin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
uncrossed spokes

All
I've been building wheels for a few years now, and had a surprising experience this weekend which prompted a question.

I was swapping out the wheels on my commuter, putting on a set that was among the 1st I had ever built. I noticed that on the front wheel (32 spokes built 3-cross with a disc brake) I had not crossed the outbound spokes under the 3rd spoke they crossed! Don't know how I did that, I checked all my other wheels and they were as expected.

The thing is, I've put 2000 miles on that wheel and I go down some pretty steep hills. The wheel was true and round (although I did undo the spokes and cross them as they should be). So my question is, why do we cross the spokes? It's a bit of a pain and sometimes I scratch the rim w/ the spoke I am trying to cross Was my wheel a fancy radial lace or was I just very lucky?

Thanks -
Old 10-05-15, 12:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the basket weaving the last cross does a bit for the load sharing.. for side loading of velodrome track wheels

the builders would further wrap that last cross with copper wire and solder it.

radially spoked wheels can pull a chunk of hub flange out..

I'm told radial spoked wheels in front of CX bikes became popular as less grass got stuck in the crosses.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-05-15 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 01:39 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Your build isn't a "fancy radial lace", it's a 3X that isn't interlaced.
Radial means that if you were to extend the spokes inwards, they'd cut through the axle. Interlaced is that over/under thing that has the spokes straining against each other.

All things considered, it's not a big deal, particularly for a front.
Interlacing is supposed to help keep the "pushing" spoke taut,(for a rear) while non-interlaced is supposed to make a wheel feel more responsive on takeoff.
Old 10-05-15, 01:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
The reason for over/under interlacing at the crosses is that it introduces a certain amount of resiliency into the finished wheel. The spokes don't go straight from hub to rim, but instead have a bit of shallow bend on the way,

When a spoke is stressed, the bend can accommodate the load by being pulled straighter at the expense of the partner spoke, splitting the effect so neither spoke sees as much change in tension as they would if not laced. Since spokes break through metal fatigue induced through cyclic tension changes, this approach increases the long term life expectancy of a wheel.

This benefit works both in the direction of mitigating stress increases and, possibly more significantly, reducing the effects of tension reduction so that a spoke that might otherwise reach zero tension doesn't.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.