Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Old man on 20s

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Old man on 20s

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 11:45 AM
Tranquil Ape

Bikes: mainly road bikes atm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old man on 20s

Hey all. Just wanted to drop a note as I'm sure I'll be here asking questions about ... stuff. I'm 43 and haven't ridden a bmx since I was probably 13, we just called em dirt bikes back then and the term bmx was still kinda new if i recall. Anyway... since then I've ridden road bikes exclusively. One of the guys in my office passed around some clips from the movie 'RAD' (that's the one alright) and I must have gotten bit by the bug.

I am pretty sure I will be buying / building a bike in the near future. My 8 year old thinks its great that i want to ride a kids bike with him lol. So , just wanted to poll the folks here as to what are good parts manufacturer's these days... when I was a kid, mongoose was good, redline was awesome but pricey...we stayed away from store bikes more or less and built what we wanted from parts.

If there are any other folks who jumped back into the fray i would be interested to hear any sort of comments you had on the subject.

Thanks folks
Old 06-26-14, 07:32 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I find it both fascinating and agonizing in watching full grown adult men riding BMX bicycle around my city, especially when drawing from my experiences in riding a bicycle that was only a couple of sizes too small for me.
Old 06-28-14, 12:42 AM
midschool22
Digging in the pain cave.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi there and welcome back to BMX. I too fall under the "old man" title.

For more info on returning to BMX, check out a blog by Dion (riderinblack).

THE OLD GUY'S GUIDE TO RE-ENTERING BMX - INTRODUCTION - RIDERINBLACK.COM

Also take a look around BMXmuseum.com

As for brands, lots of good choices out there.

Sunday, S&M, Fit, Cult, Kink, Standard, etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-14, 04:48 PM
Fignuts180

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're probably never too old to get into riding if you really want to. I'm 34 and go out with my 7 year old twin boys every day after a 25 year break. The first questions you'll get asked is what kind of riding you do and how into bmx you really are. That should help you find a bike or help motivate you to even build one. I get funny looks as an adult on a 20" bike but who cares when you're having fun? Good luck on the researching!
Old 09-04-14, 06:03 AM
198xBMX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'M 6 ft 200 plus and my 20 in. isnt too small! Got that layed back seat post lol. Keep rolling old man!
Old 09-07-14, 12:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bike Friday uses 20" wheels on their travel bikes .. tall seat and handlebar masts make them comfortable like big wheel bikes

but I wouldnt do half pipe X games tricks on one.
Old 09-08-14, 11:18 AM
XT500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Watch those knees

This old MCS Styler is a freestyle bike but similar in size to a BMX. The solid seat post is long enough to accommodate an adult so the knees aren't cramped.
Have fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (91.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-15-14, 05:53 AM
198xBMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XT500
This old MCS Styler is a freestyle bike but similar in size to a BMX. The solid seat post is long enough to accommodate an adult so the knees aren't cramped.
Have fun.
Looks nice! Was strolling through wal mart bikes section on the "youth"/kids bmx side and a guy said something like first bike? I said sorry? sways blah blah etc. i say im just looking.
Old 09-16-14, 02:54 AM
MrCoffee

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
A BMX bike is not measured by the length of the seat tube, or height. Instead, they are measured by the length of the top tube. You ride a BMX in a standing position, and it is designed to take jumps, and curbs, and even loops if the climb is steep and fast enough. It is EXTREMELY rare that the saddle is used, except during certain moves that may require it.

An adult sized, 20" BMX bike can, with EXTREME ease, be confused with a kid's bike. It is DANGEROUS for any small child who would try to ride one, because the length of the frame from the pedals to the handlebar can cause the rider to lose control of the bike and fall. An adult BMX bike is either designed to jump, or do tricks. It is not a commuter bike, and DEFINITELY NOT A TOY.

Last edited by MrCoffee; 09-16-14 at 03:02 AM.
Old 09-16-14, 02:37 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCoffee
A BMX bike is not measured by the length of the seat tube, or height. Instead, they are measured by the length of the top tube. You ride a BMX in a standing position, and it is designed to take jumps, and curbs, and even loops if the climb is steep and fast enough. It is EXTREMELY rare that the saddle is used, except during certain moves that may require it.

An adult sized, 20" BMX bike can, with EXTREME ease, be confused with a kid's bike. It is DANGEROUS for any small child who would try to ride one, because the length of the frame from the pedals to the handlebar can cause the rider to lose control of the bike and fall. An adult BMX bike is either designed to jump, or do tricks. It is not a commuter bike, and DEFINITELY NOT A TOY.
My BMX race bike has virtually the same wheelbase, bottom bracket height, and handlebar height as my road bike. I like to line them up together to demonstrate this. Most people are surprised because the smaller wheels, low frame, and slammed saddle create the illusion that the BMX bike is smaller when, in fact, it has the equivalent fit to a size 58 road bike.

I use the saddle mainly for resting...otherwise, you want it low and outta the way!
Old 09-17-14, 06:55 AM
198xBMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tranquil Ape, sorry but got to butt in again. Dont mean to hijack.

I sit down while peddaling,use the childs bike for transportation etc. Also, dont know of a 20 in. bmx that is made to specifically fit adults.. Know of quite a bit of them also but open to schooling.
Old 09-18-14, 10:03 AM
MrCoffee

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
My BMX race bike has virtually the same wheelbase, bottom bracket height, and handlebar height as my road bike. I like to line them up together to demonstrate this. Most people are surprised because the smaller wheels, low frame, and slammed saddle create the illusion that the BMX bike is smaller when, in fact, it has the equivalent fit to a size 58 road bike.

I use the saddle mainly for resting...otherwise, you want it low and outta the way!
Exactly.
Old 09-18-14, 11:23 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
I rode my Pro XL Powerlite race bike as my daily driver until I sold in 2001. I had about 6" of a straight post showing and rode it everywhere with no issues.

Currently looking to get a 24" or 26" cruiser.