Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Do you use a kickstand with your bent?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.
View Poll Results: do you use a kickstand with your bent?
yes
62.79%
no
37.21%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-04, 09:51 PM
steveknight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got my bent and trying to lean it up against anything is real tricky. Trying to work on it without the stand adapter is a real pain too. So if you use a kickstand any recommendations?
Old 10-22-04, 10:36 PM
bigmoose

Bikes: EZ-1 SC Recumbent and Trek Navigator 100

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the kickstand that came with the bike.(EZ-1 SC) Would not think of not having one. Just too handy parking next to the truck that I had redone 4 years ago and do not want to scratch or mark up. I have not yet had to take a wheel off...yet, so I can not tell you how that will work out. But so far I always use the kickstand.
Old 10-23-04, 12:38 AM
John Ben

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recently bought a Burley Koosah and it cames without a kick stand from the factory. I would rather pay extra money to have a kick stand, and a complete bike when I purchased it from Burley. Come on Burley, cutting corners is one thing, but putting a bike on the market without kickstands!
Old 10-23-04, 12:42 AM
steveknight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Ben
Recently bought a Burley Koosah and it cames without a kick stand from the factory. I would rather pay extra money to have a kick stand, and a complete bike when I purchased it from Burley. Come on Burley, cutting corners is one thing, but putting a bike on the market without kickstands!
so few bikes come with them anymore it's not something you expect unless you shop at walmart.
Old 10-23-04, 01:09 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10982 Post(s)
Liked 4,658 Times in 2,140 Posts
Originally Posted by steveknight
so few bikes come with them anymore it's not something you expect unless you shop at walmart.
Yeah, what he said.

Old 10-23-04, 07:03 AM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My EZ Sport Ltd came with one. I thought all bikes did!
Old 10-23-04, 08:20 AM
N_C
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one with my Vision R40, but took it off after a little while. When I learned it could be putting to much stress on the seat & chain stays. So now I just find something to lean it against. Never had a problem finding something yet. I will not lay it on the ground as I would a wedgie road bike. My recumbent is to long & the main frame boom tube & front chain rings are not as easy to see if it is laying in the grass, IMO. It is not about someone getting hurt if they trip over my bike, it is about my bike getting hurt because they were not watching where they were going so I don't lay it down.
Old 10-23-04, 10:39 AM
ChiliDog

Bikes: Electra Townie crank forward, Specialized flat bar road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ONLY bike I have one on...a LWB Easy Racer. Next SWB I have will NOT have one...
Old 10-23-04, 09:30 PM
megaman
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking to the local LBS, I found that in the past few years many bikes don't come with kickstands, but some still do(and not just the mart bikes). A kickstand came with my EZ Sport and I can't imagine not having one for this bike.
Old 10-24-04, 12:26 PM
ankev1

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Street Machine GT, Evans Tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My HP Velotechnik Street Machine has one fitted and I wouldn't do without it. I saw a similar thread on a UK bike site about kick stands and it seems to me that for a lot of folk they are an image thing. Personally I think its barking mad to spend a load of dosh on a bike and then lay it down on the ground or prop it up against something with the risk of it falling over.
Old 10-24-04, 12:43 PM
steveknight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my regular bike never needed one. it was easy to lock up or lean agaisnt a wall. but my bent is a battle doing so. hell just manuvering it when your not riding is a fun chore (G)
Old 10-24-04, 04:43 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10982 Post(s)
Liked 4,658 Times in 2,140 Posts
Originally Posted by ankev1
Personally I think its barking mad to spend a load of dosh on a bike and then lay it down on the ground or prop it up against something with the risk of it falling over.
I've seen plenty of bikes with kickstands that fell over on the ground. Happens all the time.

Old 10-24-04, 05:08 PM
bentbaggerlen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both my touring (Longbikes Slipstream and Gulfstream) bikes have stands, mostly to keep the bags out of the dirt. The two legged model on the Gulfstream works really well when the bike is loaded.
"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." - Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 10-25-04, 01:35 AM
ankev1

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Street Machine GT, Evans Tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I've seen plenty of bikes with kickstands that fell over on the ground. Happens all the time.
Good point. It should be pointed out that you've got to take into account the slope of the ground running laterally from the bike when you choose a place to use the stand. In other words if a kick stand fitted bike falls over its usually down to the rider.
Old 10-25-04, 08:14 AM
cyclingshane73
Compulsive Upgrader

Bikes: 2002 Kona Deluxe (road), 2001 Cove Stiffee (mtb)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking about getting a kickstand for my Catrike. Any suggestions???

Sorry I couldn't help myself.
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke
Old 10-25-04, 10:31 AM
randy z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My EZ Sport came with one, and I have them on my mouontain bike and hybrid also - I can't stand (no pun intended) leaning my bike against something or laying it on the ground. I'm not surpised if the stand is an extra cost, because on every bike I've bought I had to get the stand separately.
Old 10-25-04, 02:42 PM
sukispop
Errand Boy for my girls

Bikes: Greenspeed GTO 20/20 trike, Rans Fusion(semi-recumbent bike), Burley Django recumbent, Marin Larkspur city bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never used kickstands on any of my df bikes, but, when I went to recumbents, I found them soooo necessary to prevent that nasty scenario, where you lean your 'bent up against a tree or a sign pole...walk away to tend to some kind of business...then turn around to see the front wheel flop, and down the expensive 'bent goes, to the ground with a paint-chipping, parts-scraping **THUD** !

Yeah, I've heard that many 'bent companies that used to throw in the kickstand free with the bike purchase now charge up to $30 for them as an option... ...but every 'bent that I've purchased, so far, has come with the kickstand free of charge, thanks to the dealers that I've purchased them through. I know that, with my '02 Burley Django, Burley only provided the kickstand "adapter"(an almost $1400 bike--you'd think they could see their way to giving you the actual kickstand to go with the adapter they so generously gave you as a "gift with purchase"! )

And now that I've got my lwb Stratus, I'm soooo glad to have a kickstand...and soooo happy that my dealer, Gold Country Cyclery(Cameron Park, CA), gave and installed it(as well as the mirror and two water bottle cages and bottles) free of charge! Way to go, Rick!

I'd never get a 'bent without a kickstand....

Old 10-25-04, 03:08 PM
funbun
Doomsled

Bikes: Performer JC-70

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kickstand? Uhh, not with a trike! Parking brakes are a must!
Old 10-25-04, 04:03 PM
sukispop
Errand Boy for my girls

Bikes: Greenspeed GTO 20/20 trike, Rans Fusion(semi-recumbent bike), Burley Django recumbent, Marin Larkspur city bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sukispop
I'd never get a 'bent without a kickstand....

TWO-WHEELED 'bent, that is!
Old 10-28-04, 10:20 PM
ChiliDog

Bikes: Electra Townie crank forward, Specialized flat bar road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I can see it now...SWB V-Rex or Rocket falls over...bends the chainrings...I'm 50 miles from home...I'm "SOL"!!!

Sometimes a kickstand is a "good thing"!
Old 10-29-04, 07:33 PM
tayman

Bikes: 2000 RANS Rocket, 2000 BikeE AT...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, Me too.... Always a kickstand on my 'bent... But I did swap out the one that came with my 2000 RANS Rocket... I found that I just couldn't tighten it enough to stop it from spinning on the chain stay... Went to a Greenfield stand that has a stablizer mount that grips both the chain stay & the seat stay... No more movement of the kickstand which could result in the bike "toppling over"....
Old 10-30-04, 07:19 PM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my kick-stand. I was under the impression that kick-stands didn't come on bikes anymore because it wasn't "cool." Who cares. I love having a kick-stand. Cost $10 extra.
Old 10-31-04, 02:47 AM
izgod

Bikes: BikeE AT--Gary Fisher DF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took the kickstand off my BikeE. I would sometimes forget to put it up and ride off with it in park position. If I hit a turn too hard or sharp, the stand would scrape the road, cause a little tail spin, and generally shake up your humbled rider. I never have to lay the bike down to park, there's always something handy to lean against and lock onto. I use an elastic on the front brake lever as a parking brake, to keep the bike from rolling. It works great.
Old 10-31-04, 06:41 AM
para handy

Bikes: HPVelotechnik Streetmachine GT; Airnimal Chameleon; Claud Butler San Remo; Saracen Sahara; Raleigh Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
StreetMachine GT here, and it has a kickstand fitted, though it was a specified option, rather than standard equipment. The stand is fitted onto the under-seat pannier racks, so is well out of the way; also makes it near-impossible to ride off with the stand down. Having front and rear fairings fitted, it is ruddy awkward to actually get on or off the bike unless it's on the stand, so wouldn't do without it.

Downside is that whenever the chain-gang heads for the Cake Stop, they always want to lean their bikes against mine!
Old 11-09-04, 01:13 PM
tom o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My riding partner bought a $1,000 very lightweight Trek DF and the shop refused to put a kickstand on it acting as though the extra weight would be an insult to the manufacturer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.