Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Best long lasting 20" trike tires

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 08:56 PM
PastorJim

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Schwinn Sidewinder 26" Men's (SRAM Max Pro) & Trident TW Bents

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wanted to know what is a good long lasting Trike tire (I need two for my front). They seem to wear out so quickly. What kind of miles should I expect to get out of my 2 front 20" tires?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-29-18, 05:38 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I've been using Schwalbe Marathon Racers on my ICE Sprint and get a couple thousand miles out of them. If you are wearing tires quickly it may be because of mis-alignment. Have you checked your toe-in?
Old 04-29-18, 09:53 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 388 Posts
A good long lasting 20" tyre is indeed a flavour of Schwable Marathon. Regular Marathons are hard-wearing and should last for several thousand kilometres. Marathon Plus tyres are very puncture resistant and hard wearing. They should also last for several thousand kilomtres. What tyres are currently on your Trike?
Old 04-30-18, 10:37 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
If you are not getting much mileage out of your front tires, I suggest you find someone that knows how to do front wheel alignment on a tadpole trike. It is really not that hard, but attention to detail is needed. Align one wheel to the frame with the handle bars straight ahead. Then align the other wheel to the first with about 1/16th inch toe in. It makes the trike handle much better too.

Last edited by rydabent; 05-02-18 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-02-18, 06:42 PM
mchell

Bikes: Rans Screamer, Catrike Expedition, Specialized Montain Bike, Cannondale Quick SL1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 to rydabent. Check the toe-in. Hard to suggest a tire as I don't know what kind of riding you do. My 2012 Catrike Expedition came with Schwalbe Marathon Racers all around. I thought they were a bit bulky, so I put narrower and lighter Kojaks on the front and a Durano 26" on the rear. All worked well for 2,000+ km. I am now trying Duranos on the front and have gone back to the Marathon Racer on the rear. No problem so far. If you want a bullet proof tire, go with the Marathon Plus. Yes, it is heavy, but with them on our Rans Screamer, we've never had a flat. Just worn them out and now after 15 years we are on our fourth pair. Good thing they are puncture proof, 'cause they are a bugger to put on and off the rim. Mike
Old 05-05-18, 12:18 PM
carthusian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had good luck with Marathon Racers. I'm also running Kojaks, but those are on a new-ish Sprint, so it's too soon to tell how bomb-proof they are.