Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Coaster brakes

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Coaster brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 09:39 AM
tonyg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coaster brakes

I recently bought a Firmstrong Bruiser singlespeed, which I'm really enjoying. However, at 70, I figure it's been nearly 60 years I've ridden a bike with a coaster brake. And so for sixty years of riding, I've dismounted by applying the handbrakes, and swinging my right leg over to the left side of the bike at a complete stop. Also: all this time I've gotten quite used to (when stopping at a stop sign), being able to back pedal into a good startup position. Of course, now that's all changed. I love the bikes simplicity, including the coaster brake, but was just seeking some advice getting re-used to coaster brakes after all these years. I'm doing ok, but all is not smooth nor instinctive just yet. thanks........tony
Old 06-28-18, 10:08 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyg
I recently bought a Firmstrong Bruiser singlespeed, which I'm really enjoying. However, at 70, I figure it's been nearly 60 years I've ridden a bike with a coaster brake. And so for sixty years of riding, I've dismounted by applying the handbrakes, and swinging my right leg over to the left side of the bike at a complete stop. Also: all this time I've gotten quite used to (when stopping at a stop sign), being able to back pedal into a good startup position. Of course, now that's all changed. I love the bikes simplicity, including the coaster brake, but was just seeking some advice getting re-used to coaster brakes after all these years. I'm doing ok, but all is not smooth nor instinctive just yet. thanks........tony
Welcome Tony.

I'm 58. As a life long coaster brake user, my advice is simply keep riding. Either it will all come back to you in short order, or you will find a new style that works for you.

Personally, I've reached a point (many years ago) where I am as comfortable braking with my left foot as I am with my right. Also I am comfortable braking at any clock position, not just at 9:00 o clock. That said, when I approach a red light my feet just automatically apply the brake in a position that will leave the other pedal in an up and forward position, well suited for my start. I don't think about it, my feet just do it on their own.

I say just keep riding and your legs and feet will figure it out on their own, if you let them. Have fun.
Old 06-28-18, 12:35 PM
tonyg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah......you're probably both right. I mean, I didn't give it much thought when I was a kid. I seem to brake with my left foot at about 5 o'clock. Only thing is, then I seem to instinctively put my right foot down, leaning the bike to the right as well. So now when I start off again I need to tip the bike back in the opposite direction (to the left) to use the right pedal, which is around 11 o-clock, which seems sorta inefficient. But like you said, it work itself out.
Old 06-28-18, 12:51 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

So now when I start off again I need to tip the bike back in the opposite direction (to the left) to use the right pedal, which is around 11 o-clock, which seems sorta inefficient..
Plenty of time to kill while waiting for the green.
Old 06-28-18, 01:18 PM
tonyg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good point. I mean, I am retired. I'd still like to see if it's possible to train my brain to put the same foot down that I brake with (left), and be good-to-go with my right foot when the light changes. It really is a fun bike though.
Old 06-28-18, 07:59 PM
Rapidrob

Bikes: Schwinn 100 year Anna. Phantom, Lotus road bike, Espresso road bike, Thor mountain bike, Huffy 1955 Crusier,others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in my late 60's. I try to stop with the pedals at 10 and 4 o'clock. I'm braking at 4 and powering off at 10. I've been doing this since I was a paper boy in the 60's riding a bike with coaster brakes.
Old 06-29-18, 07:28 AM
tonyg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would be helpful to me to know which foot you are braking with, and then which side you are leaning toward when at a complete stop. Also, do you then lean to the opposite side when you 'power off'? thanks a lot. (I seem to have to lean to the opposite side I brake with, and then have to shift to the opposite side when I start off again.)
Old 06-29-18, 10:21 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

It would be helpful to me to know which foot you are braking with, and then which side you are leaning toward when at a complete stop. Also, do you then lean to the opposite side when you 'power off'? thanks a lot. (I seem to have to lean to the opposite side I brake with, and then have to shift to the opposite side when I start off again.)
Can you balance for a second or two or three before putting a foot down? That's kinds what I do. I come to a complete stop and let the bike fall to the side that I was braking with.
Old 06-29-18, 12:01 PM
tonyg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what you're doing makes sense to me. I'll work on it.
Old 06-29-18, 02:17 PM
tonyg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One last (maybe) question: when you put your foot down, are you still on the saddle? If so, I'm gonna have to lower mine somewhat. thanks.
Old 06-30-18, 08:26 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

One last (maybe) question: when you put your foot down, are you still on the saddle? If so, I'm gonna have to lower mine somewhat. thanks.
I cannot reach the ground while on the saddle. That's why I described it as 'let the bike fall'. I have to lean my bikes FAR over to get a foot down because I adjust my cruiser saddle height the same way I would if they were road bikes. Maximum leg extension. It feels more efficient when pedaling to me. Do what works best for your comfort and your type of riding.

Old 06-30-18, 11:18 AM
tonyg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried lowering my seat to where I could touch the ground from the saddle, but it was ridiculously low and uncomfortable, so I put it back up. I'm not comfortable yet "letting the bike fall", but I get it, and will keep working on it. thanks.......by the way, nice bike.....what is it?
Old 06-30-18, 11:37 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

I tried lowering my seat to where I could touch the ground from the saddle, but it was ridiculously low and uncomfortable, so I put it back up. I'm not comfortable yet "letting the bike fall", but I get it, and will keep working on it. thanks.......by the way, nice bike.....what is it?
Thank you. It's an old Schwinn Heavy Duti. Not Chicago built though.
Old 07-07-18, 11:59 AM
Beasty_Artemis

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't imagine trying to climb a seat seat that high. I must be a lot shorter than you are! Nice looking bike. I'm still getting used to my coaster brakes after not riding a bicycle in 8+ years and I'm 31.
Old 07-24-18, 08:03 PM
xrayzebra 
Very Verbose Member

Bikes: Surly Troll, Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature, old Specialized Hard Rock electrified, several restomod Schwinns, Biria Easy Board, Worksman trike electrified

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I ride with my seat pretty high. I must have put thousands of miles on my cb bikes as a kid and paperboy. My route bike was a cb but I had a freewheel 5 speed for collections. (I subscribed to the theory that everybody should have at least 3 bikes at an early age, the third was, of course, a homemade stingray type bike that ran a long chopper fork most of the time.) As an adult. I've mostly had freewheel bikes. I don't think I ever got into the habit of backpedaling the freewheel to get to the right position for taking off. Now that I am, years later, mainly riding igh cb bikes. Upon converting back to cbs, it has never once occurred to me that I needed to back the pedals.

Maybe it's because some people who ride freewheel bikes develop a habit of standing on one pedal in the full down position when they stop, to stand on one pedal and put the other foot on the ground, making it always necessary to rotate the pedals back a little when starting out? Maybe cb riders who have this problem are coming to a nearly full stop, then rotating the pedals forward so they can stand on one pedal? It doesn't happen to me, but not because I'm planning it, it's just habit to stop with the pedals ready to go.

I always see this criticism for cbs, "You can't back pedal to get your pedals into the right starting position." No offense intended, but if that's a problem, there's operator error involved. You can stop with the pedals in the right position very easily.

Feather the brakes a little to come to a near stop, and then rotate the pedals forward to where you want them to be, and then apply brakes again for full stop.

I think the secret is developing a habit of braking with the rear pedal down at maybe 45 degrees, but I don't consciously do this. My pedals are nearly always at the right position when I'm ready to go, or I just push forward on the ground one step and push the top pedal forward as I do it. There's no reason for the pedals to not be in the right position when you stop, unless you're trying to brake with the back pedal very high so the front pedal is too far down to get a down stroke. Maybe you fear not getting enough braking power, so you habitually brake with the back pedal high, feeling like you have a longer back stroke available in case you need "more brakes?" So, practice braking with your rear foot down to see how much backstroke it takes to reach maximum braking. You might find that you can brake from a much lower pedal position than you think, leaving your front pedal ready for a real full down stroke.

I'm guessing. When I ride tomorrow, I'll see if I can figure it out.