Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Help identifying and pricing Richard Sachs bicycle

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 07:58 AM
jonjonbobi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, my neighbor is elderly and has an old Richard Sachs bicycle. He loves it, but is no longer able to ride it.

If anyone could help me figure out what model it is, and how much it's worth, I would be grateful.

It's in good riding condition with some wear, but no major cosmetic or other defects.

And any tips on how and where to post for sale would also be appreciated.

Attached is a picture of the serial number. It says 58 on one side and 5675 on the other.

Thanks
Old 08-05-18, 08:04 AM
jonjonbobi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonjonbobi
Hello, my neighbor is elderly and has an old Richard Sachs bicycle. He loves it, but is no longer able to ride it.

If anyone could help me figure out what model it is, and how much it's worth, I would be grateful.

It's in good riding condition with some wear, but no major cosmetic or other defects.

And any tips on how and where to post for sale would also be appreciated.

Attached is a picture of the serial number. It says 58 on one side and 5675 on the other.

Thanks
The forum won't let me post a picture for some reason.
Old 08-05-18, 09:10 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Members are going to want more pictures. Picture assist...
Old 08-05-18, 12:27 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...your best bet for whatever age and "model" it might be (most of them were custom orders) would be to contact Mr Sachs on his long running E-Richie threadblog at Velocipede Salon. If you give him some photos of the construction details, like the fork crown and the drops and joining details at the stays and triangle lugs, along with the serial number, he will be very helpful in this regard. He was able to tell me that my own bicycle was a custom order through the Toga Bike shop in NYC, way back in the 70's. He has kept careful records and will be able to tell you the most about your bike's original design and construction.

Values on his bikes are all over the map. I paid some ex-racer here about 550 bucks for my frame only, with fresh red good quality paint on it, but no decals or stickers, back about five years ago here in NorCal.

Then I had to get decals through the guy who paints all Richard Sachs' bikes, and build wheels and assemble it according to my own tastes in components. Sounds like yours might be in better shape overall, but possible in need of mechanical overhaul to freshen up the grease (or not). Anyway, because of his famous status as a frame builder, and his reluctance to open his list for any more custom orders, bikes with the Sachs name on them have a tendency to be somewhat pricey. Everyone likes to look at pictures of Richard Sachs bikes, so here are a couple. This one is from the 70's, pretty early in the Richard Sachs pantheon.

Old 08-05-18, 01:31 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
While all Richard Sachs bicycle frames are equally well built, prices vary greatly depending on:
1) Condition. Buyers pay less for a dusty, dirty, or poorly maintained frame.
2) Components. Buyers are generally more interested in an earlier RS (like this one, with over the BB cable routing) that has a relatively complete Campagnolo group on it.
3) Color. Crazy, oddball colors command a lower price than standard colors like red, green or black.
4) Location. Unless you are in a major urban location or are willing to pack and ship (or have it packed and shipped), expect a smaller potential audience and a lower price.
5) Size. Frames in the 54-57 range sell better and faster than smaller and larger frames because the potential market is much larger.

In order for us to to give you a better idea of value, we need more pictures- good, detailed, in focus, especially of the drive side. I'd be happy to post them for you here if you e-mail them to me at rccardr@cox.net.

Once valued, you can post it for sale here (buy a monthly membership, it's cheap), on Craigslist locally (lowest likely selling price, lots of, um, unusual buyers) or eBay (largest market, highest price, but requires that you do eBay stuff well).
Old 08-05-18, 02:02 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...in terms of selling it, if you mention it's for sale in your inquiry over on Velocipede (without being too obvious), there are usually people reading those entries who are looking for an RS bike. You would then have to e-mail directly with them, back and forth, and it can be tedious structuring the sales transaction and the shipping/packing if the bicycle. But there are definitely people reading that thread who want to buy a RS bike.

As stated above, a lot of this (price and eagerness) is dependent on condition and appearance. If it shows up as kinda beat, it will be harder to sell.
Old 08-06-18, 04:38 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Yes, we need a complete battery of pictures on this one

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 08-06-18, 09:52 AM
jonjonbobi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your input. I will take detailed pictures.
Old 08-11-18, 10:29 PM
rccardr 

I have received 10 pics from the OP and will post them Sunday when I return from The Dare.
Appears to be a NR equipped bike; seller is in NY and willing to pack and ship.

Last edited by rccardr; 08-12-18 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-12-18, 06:56 PM
rccardr 

Drop Box folder with pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7pbc7xi4x58jinx/AADNIZ_RyPOPF-hnoWiMHzuJa?dl=0
Old 08-12-18, 07:13 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 635 Posts
Awaiting pics cant't tell much other than it is a early 80's 58 cm with medium geometry and a custom or smaller build based on the BB info. details If the Sach ID is correct should be a $700-800 bike .
Old 08-13-18, 01:43 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by rccardr
...nice looking bike and it appears to be in pretty good shape. If you're trying to maximize selling price, e-bay is your obvious market.
But I have very little experience selling on e-bay, and a lot of the people here who do so have some horror stories about scams from dissatisfied buyers requesting refunds.

If it were me, I think maybe I'd try either advertising it on the urban Craiglists where bike prices for classics are the highest (like San Francisco bay area, NYC, Portland OR, etc) and clearly state I was willing to have a local bike shop (who has done this kind of thing before and is reputable about it) pack and ship it. Or list it on Classic Rendezvous or here (with a paid membership). I'd personally have no problems asking for $1200-1500 bucks in it's present condition (as evidenced by the photos) if there are no problems that don't show up on photos. Maybe even a few hundred more to cover the packing/shipping cost, with the option for in person pickup if they're close to you.

The main problem with your local Craigslist is that there is usually a limited pool of buyers who both know what this is, want to buy one, have some cash, and are the proper size and shape anatomically to fit this bike. Thank you for helping your friend/neighbor sell it. And you really ought to join that Richard Sachs thread on Velocipede Salon I linked, and post some photos while mentioning it's for sale by your neighbor/friend. That's a focus online for the Richard Sachs fan club.
Old 08-13-18, 06:39 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Looks touring with mounts for a rack by brake bridge. Pretty bike though.
Old 08-13-18, 08:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...when that frame was made, touring bikes had generally longer chain stays and longer wheelbase.
Most, if not all of the Richard Sachs bikes were made to order, so it's not unlikely someone ordered the bosses for a rack.

The red one I posted photos of has more space between the rear tyre and the seat tube, and it was ordered as a criterium bike. That's the geometry people raced on then.
Old 08-14-18, 03:45 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
That's a nice one. I lean more on the 1200-1500 side of the fence than the 600-700 one. Sachs is one of the key American builders and I feel his frames are worth a bit more than the usual American custom (note I think almost all American customs are exceptional, just some of them are built by better known hands and hold a bit move value). I'd put him in a class with Eisentraut and a few others; there is value in those names IMO.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 08-14-18, 07:40 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
I bought this Richard Sachs this year from Pro’s Closet in Boulder; it’s a 1979. I paid $2300 for it, which may have been too much, but I don’t care. I took off the Super Record parts, sold them, and replaced them with the gearing, brakes, etc. that I like for riding. What a great bike!
With my components.

Pro’s Closet ad.
Old 08-25-19, 04:59 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 193 Posts
Are Sachs headsets made by Richard Sachs. I am sorry for my ignorance. I have been looking all over for this info. Does anyone have any idea what a vintage Sachs headset is worth? Thank you in advance for any knowledge anyone can impart.
Old 08-25-19, 05:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
Are Sachs headsets made by Richard Sachs. I am sorry for my ignorance. I have been looking all over for this info. Does anyone have any idea what a vintage Sachs headset is worth? Thank you in advance for any knowledge anyone can impart.
...different Sachs. Sachs-Huret catalogs here. I have no idea of the value, if any, but they were pretty common in use at one point in time.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-25-19, 05:35 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...different Sachs. Sachs-Huret catalogs here. I have no idea of the value, if any, but they were pretty common in use at one point in time.
Thank you so much 3alarmer! That is very informative and helpful. I really appreciate it. I will do some more research but you have solved half my question which is awesome.