Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback
Reload this Page >

wingless' EVT Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror

Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Old 11-11-17, 06:14 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

The Third Eye Helmet Mirror (03) I used w/ my prior helmet could not be mounted onto my new Bell Z20 Helmet so I needed a new method for rear view.

All bike and helmet mirror were examined, then I selected the Efficient Velo Tools, EVT, Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror. This is a well-designed and well-constructed device. There are three main parts to the mirror assembly: a curved 5½" long mounting bracket base w/ slots and a hook for tie straps; six articulating joints for a 4" arm and a 2¼" diameter large mirror.

This is lightweight, easy to position, secure once positioned w/ a large / clear mirror.

The mirror includes a 5 year no-fault warranty.

These parts are included:
  • Mirror / Arm / Base Assembly - 42.5g
  • Velcro 8" Reusable Tie Strap (3) - 0.8g each
  • Nylon 6" Wire Tie (5) - 1.3g each
  • Instruction Card

The mirror is stable and secure during usage. My preference is to a helmet mirror, permitting fast and intuitive head movement for scanning all areas to the rear.

This product was purchased by me using cash from my pocket. I have zero affiliation and zero agreement w/ the manufacturer or w/ the vendor.

Last edited by wingless; 11-14-17 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-20-18, 05:34 PM
RodMilligan

Bikes: 2018 Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was a little weary of this at first, but I love mine.. I cannot do without it. Once it's adjusted it stays in place well with zero vibration. Its much better than those tiny helmet mounted mirrors. I wear bifocals and I always had trouble focusing on the smaller mirrors, they always have me eye strain. I have zero issues with the larger mirror on the EVT mirror.

Last edited by RodMilligan; 08-20-18 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-22-18, 01:31 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
I am weary of first putting on protection on the head against mishaps and then attaching an object to that protection that can hurt me during a mishap. On statistical basis mishaps are a regular part of life.
Old 09-20-20, 01:15 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I am weary of first putting on protection on the head against mishaps and then attaching an object to that protection that can hurt me during a mishap. On statistical basis mishaps are a regular part of life.
Break away is good
You see this issue on M/C helmets
The criticism of helmets is facial and neck injury risk , and non gliding non detaching accessories are an issue.
That said this item seems pretty reasonable, better so than cameras and rigid light mounts
The smaller ones that attach to my glasses never seemed to be more use than hassle
Old 09-20-20, 02:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I've bought and used 2 of those. Both times at Cycle Oregon when I've broken my preferred 3rd Eye helmet mirror. On the bike, just as good a mirror and easier to set up. (I make custom brackets for the 3rd Eyes to securely place the mirror ecactly where I want it, Love it, but it doesn't always survive the complete change of routine that is the week of Cycle Oregon.

It's hard to see how one could be injured by the EVT. In a crash. It would just pop apart and the individual pieces don't have a lot of sharp edges. (Goood bet that if you could find the pieces it could be reassembled and used again.

As long as I can get the #rd Eye mirrors, I'll keep using them. 2 reasons, The EVT dork factor. And they stick out so much I catch it on things when I am not on the bike. Still, it;s an excellent product, very well thought out and executed.

(Cycle Oregon had an early lead on those mirrors. The inventor was a mechanic for the week for many, years.)

Ben