Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Helmet replacement hard sell?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-17, 12:03 PM
fourwinds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm returning to biking after some years away. When I've been test riding bikes the salesepeople have told me I really should replace my helmet. One said the glue gets old so if you're in an accident the helmet shatters. Another told me the foam degrades so won't provide the same protection. I don't see any evidence of damage or wear in my helmet. Is it hard sell or truth?
Old 04-09-17, 12:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by fourwinds
I'm returning to biking after some years away. When I've been test riding bikes the salesepeople have told me I really should replace my helmet. One said the glue gets old so if you're in an accident the helmet shatters. Another told me the foam degrades so won't provide the same protection. I don't see any evidence of damage or wear in my helmet. Is it hard sell or truth?
Hard sell, based on promoting/goosing helmet sales.

If helmets really significantly degrade with no visible evidence, they are even less useful as a safety device than believed by many.
Old 04-09-17, 12:26 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I'd say there's some element of truth to this, with a big caveat: the "hard sell" comes with spending €150 when you really only need to spend €50. Anything beyond fitting well and being comfortable is fluff - it could be important fluff, like the number of vents or how easy the adjustment or strap works; and of course, the color!

But can the salesperson point to any independent testing that empirically shows a degradation in helmet effectiveness over time, something not simply a manufacturer's recommendations? Probably not, and as far as I can see, there's not much (if anything) out there.

In any accident, your helmet will "shatter", absorbing G-forces, and will (obviously) need to be replaced.

Less obvious: how often has your helmet bumped against the desk, a wall, the floor? This would fall under "improper use" and would degrade your helmet, and these events are more likely to occur the longer you have your helmet. Also, how much exposure to weather has your helmet endured (temp changes, moisture, humidity, etc.)? This would likely degrade your helmet.

To what degree that affects how well your helmet will protect you in a crash, is a guess.

Given the low cost of a new helmet, it's not a huge expense to get a new one, if you've had your current helmet for 5 or more years. Many manufacturers recommend replacement after 3, some 5.

Last edited by ridelikeaturtle; 04-09-17 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 02:06 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I'd say there's some element of truth to this, with a big caveat: the "hard sell" comes with spending €150 when you really only need to spend €50. Anything beyond fitting well and being comfortable is fluff - it could be important fluff, like the number of vents or how easy the adjustment or strap works; and of course, the color!

But can the salesperson point to any independent testing that empirically shows a degradation in helmet effectiveness over time, something not simply a manufacturer's recommendations? Probably not, and as far as I can see, there's not much (if anything) out there.
There's the study published in Biomechanical Engineering based on studying 675 old used helmets up to 26 years old and comparing crush data with how those helmet models performed originally. The conclusion was that there was only very minimal degradation in performance over time and almost all of the helmets still met the standards.
EPS Foam Liner Performance With Age
Old 04-09-17, 02:38 PM
fourwinds

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very interesting testing shows minimal degradation. So the manufacturer's recommendation seems like a CYA and of course aims to up the sales.
Old 04-09-17, 02:52 PM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Depending on the age of your helmet, it may not meet current standards. Check for an ASTM or Snell sticker.

I also find that my new helmet is way more comfortable than the one it replaced.
Old 04-09-17, 02:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Your old helmet is probably safe, but inspect it carefully. Depends on storage conditions. Many plastics will degrade faster when exposed to sun, heat, ozone, etc.

I've seen plastics degrade frighteningly when exposed to ozone from malfunctioning home and office electronics. One of my elderly neighbors was a chain smoker. Residue from her heavy smoking left a sticky film over every surface. While visiting her one day I heard her TV crackling. She complained about poor reception. I turned the TV around to inspect it and the plastic shell crumbled apart in many hands! Her smoking residue had gummed up the electronics and it was spewing ozone that destroyed the TV's own plastic shell. I threw it away and gave her my old Sony portable that still worked fine for free cable and antenna TV. I inspected the rest of the electronics in her apartment to be sure there were no imminent fire disasters waiting to happen, but she didn't have much besides the TV.

There's no telling what that amount of ozone was doing to her health, but she was a tough old bird and may have had immunity from being work-hardened, tanned and pickled.

That was a pretty extreme case. I've seen plastics yellowed and bulged from ozone before but never anything like that.

Me, I'd get a new helmet just because there are plenty of good quality helmets heavily discounted. Nashbar and other online retailers often discount new/old stock Bell and other familiar brand helmets for around $20. These helmets are usually already two or three years old. I got my low end Bell Solar helmet from Nashbar for $20 in 2015 and it was already a year or two "out of date". Good basic helmet, but lacks the external plastic shell to completely protect the softer "styrofoam" from dents and dings in the back and lower edges. For $25-$50 you can buy heavily discounted higher end Bell, Giro and other new/old stock helmets. Check Nashbar, Jenson, Performance, Niagara, many others.
Old 04-09-17, 03:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
HOW OLD is your helmet?

10 years? 20 years? 30 years? 40 years?

I'd probably just use what you have, depending on your riding. If you really get back into the riding, then perhaps try an update.

One of the biggest recent changes is MIPS that wasn't around a decade ago. Expensive, but coming down in price.

So, not necessarily "old", unless you get to the extremes, but new ones may be "better"

I've also got strap mounted taillights on one of my helmets. They eat up the little button batteries, but are at least better than nothing.
Old 04-09-17, 06:49 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
Depending on the age of your helmet, it may not meet current standards. Check for an ASTM or Snell sticker.
Can you point to any government agency with a mandatory helmet law, that fines cyclist for using an older helmet not having a newer ASTM or Snell sticker?

OP is just fine with his old helmet. All my Hawaii helmets are old 10+ years, the helmet I bought while in Colorado for 2 years is 3 years old.
Old 04-09-17, 07:04 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
My instinct is it's a hard sell, but one time when buying a new motorcycle, they said that in good conscious they couldn't let me use the old helmet I brought, and handed me a new helmet gratis.

If it's a decade or two old, then it's probably a reasonable suggestion.
Old 04-09-17, 08:57 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Plastics, especially expanded foams, degrade with time (more accurately with ozone and UV exposure). Helmet manufacturers may say replace your helmet every 2-4 years but unless you store it in the sun on top of an electrical generator, a decade or so is probably reasonable. More important is that materials, designs and manufacturing methods have advanced, so if you are looking at a 20 year old helmet, it might be worth replacing just for that reason. Of course, if the helmet has been through a hard impact, it should be replaced.

Good helmets can be had relatively inexpensively, there are a lot of quality models in the $35-50 range, a few decent ones even cheaper. Looking at a 10-year lifespan it's a pretty small investment, so unless you are really seriously strapped for funds, there's no reason not to replace your helmet every few years just to be on the safe side. Not counting my winter helmet, I have two helmets that I keep around, my newer helmet for daily riding (on its second year now) and the one it replaced (about six years old), which I keep in a bag with an old pair of cycling gloves that I keep in the back of the truck for impromptu test rides and as back up in case my primary helmet gets damaged. The helmet that was a predecessor to these two was donated to a bike co-op still in decent condition and still better than nothing for someone who genuinely can't afford a new helmet. None of my helmets are expensive models but all of my current helmets are SNELL approved.
Old 04-09-17, 09:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
A key "problem" with bike stuff is that much of lasts too long. If the industry depended on only selling the first copy then replacing what wears out or brakes, i would shrink considerably.

So, like with computers and cell phones, great effort is put into convincing you to trade up to something somehow better (which it may well be) before you might if left to your own initiative.

The helmet is a good example. There's good evidence that it's protection doesn't degrade over time or, if so, it's very slight. But helmet makers can't wait until you bat it up, so folks need to convince you to replace it.

Of course the new helmet may be better in the sense that's lighter, more comfortable, has a nicer retention system, and so on. But the fact of the matter is that the mandatory standards that define protection haven't changed in 20+ years, and though a new helmet may have certain advantages, you shouldn't let folks use false fears to talk you into buying a new one until you ready.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-09-17, 11:16 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
There's good evidence that it's protection doesn't degrade over time or, if so, it's very slight. But helmet makers can't wait until you bat it up, so folks need to convince you to replace it.
About 15 years ago, I was going through some old boxes, and found my first helmet from the early 80's, it was in bad shape. The foam pads were crumbling, the foam shell had splits, and the outer shell was heavily crazed.
Old 04-10-17, 02:45 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Some will say I am full of bologna, when I agree with the salespeople. Just for a different reason.

If you ever had an accident in a helmet where you hit your head. The protection inside the helmet gets' compromised as a result of a crash where you hit your head. The protection inside the helmet will not 'bounce back' to its' previous effectiveness. It will stay compromised.

That will heighten the possibility of it shattering. Even if it is not beginning to separate at the seams.
Old 04-10-17, 04:29 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Hokiedad4

I also find that my new helmet is way more comfortable than the one it replaced.
The helmet I use most often, which I've had now going on three years, doesn't have an ASTM or Snell sticker in it, but only because my sweaty hair rubbed it off due to frequent use last summer. So in this instance, the absence of a sticker would not be a good determining factor as to how old my helmet actually is.

Old 04-10-17, 05:23 AM
churnman

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Allez SE "Jim Merz" edition, Trek 750

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IMHO and as an ex-retailer who hates hard sell. I had an accident that almost killed me last season, out for 2 days and 3 weeks hospitalized. The age of the helmet was at least 10 years and the foam did appear to be degrading but it saved my life.

Found a new replacement for my XXL head and it is the best fitting one I have owned in 30 years.

Funds for certified helmets are never mis-spent. My new helmet was >$80 and I hope I will never need it.
Old 04-10-17, 06:37 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I find it somewhat amazing that we are discussing the spending of 50 to 80 bucks to protect your noggin... hell folks shell out 20 bucks for crappy baseball hats all the time.
Old 04-10-17, 06:52 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Depends on the number of years we are talking about, and maybe how it was stored.. I just had this conversation with my wife's best friend. She has been riding with us consistently for about 2 years, and rides a fairly old helmet. So I ask, when she bought that helmet. Don't know, she says. Maybe 10 years or more. So I tell her about foam and plastic degrading. Finally, I say she will never know for sure if her helmet is past it until she falls on her head. And if money is a concern, there are helmets you can buy on sale for $25 or less, so no excuse taking a chance.

Long story short. She bought a helmet on Nashbar using one of their 30% off coupons.

Last edited by MRT2; 04-10-17 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-10-17, 07:05 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
the salesepeople have told me ... the glue gets old so if you're in an accident the helmet shatters.
The glue holds the skin on, and doesn't otherwise prevent the helmet from shattering.

Another told me the foam degrades so won't provide the same protection.
Egregiously false. The foam degrades so little, sans contact with certain chemicals, that it's a non-issue for years, and probably decades. Your helmet may be ratty and deserves retirement, but your salespeople are full of it.
Old 04-10-17, 11:09 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Any helmet-almost any-
provides a more protection than NO HELMET.
Now this even includes those laughable POS dinky hair covering things the pros used to wear 30-40 years ago-
They are mostly for low speed falls impacts
you know-get your feet tangled in toe clips-and tumble over bang your head on tha asphalt or curb-few fps impact-
wearing a helmet-barely matters-concussion at most
-NO HELMET- cracked skull-neurosurgery maybe die-brain damage
so just wear the most comfortable one-one you will actually wear-
I wear a $25 bell something or other i bought 15 years ago-5000 rides
Geez they-helmets-are goofing looking-but I'm short old(66) overweight so hardly matters
If the foam is crumbling- or obviously brittle DON'T wear it
buy a cheap new one that is comfortable
Luck
Charlie
PS If you ever find a NOT GOOFLY LOOKING HELMET- let us know(as long as it is under $40 or so-yes i am cheap too)

Last edited by phoebeisis; 04-11-17 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-10-17, 11:29 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle

In any accident, your helmet will "shatter", absorbing G-forces, and will (obviously) need to be replaced.

Less obvious: how often has your helmet bumped against the desk, a wall, the floor? This would fall under "improper use" and would degrade your helmet, and these events are more likely to occur the longer you have your helmet. Also, how much exposure to weather has your helmet endured (temp changes, moisture, humidity, etc.)? This would likely degrade your helmet.

To what degree that affects how well your helmet will protect you in a crash, is a guess.

Given the low cost of a new helmet, it's not a huge expense to get a new one, if you've had your current helmet for 5 or more years. Many manufacturers recommend replacement after 3, some 5.
It seems like you are debunking the sales person's hard sell to replace an old helmet, but then conclude by repeating the typical selling point that the manufacturers themselves recommend replacement after 3-5 years, without any substantiating evidence.

Originally Posted by genec
I find it somewhat amazing that we are discussing the spending of 50 to 80 bucks to protect your noggin... hell folks shell out 20 bucks for crappy baseball hats all the time.
The question isn't the cost. If you believe in helmets, it's absolutely true that the cost is not or should not be a factor. The question is are bike shop sales people - and the manufacturers - trying to sell helmets on false pretenses. Why should you buy something just because some self-interested person or company tells you that you should?

My helmet's 8 or more years old. It shows no sign of damage or degradation to the foam or shell. I've replaced the pads and the new pads are pristine. The straps are in excellent shape because I clean them a couple of time a year.

I have no intention of replacing a perfectly good helmet until someone shows me actual independent evidence that there can be meaningful hidden degradation or damage - I mean degradation or damage that can't be detected by a normal person without any special knowledge or instruments (i.e. a normal helmet user).

The helmet scare in general is marketing BS. The danger implied by the selling of helmets as being necessary bicycling equipment is way overblown for the sake of selling every single cyclist a helmet. The helmet replacement recommendations are the same.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-10-17 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-10-17, 11:40 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
They are mostly for low speed falls impacts
you know-get your feet tangled in toe clips-and tumble over bang your head on tha asphalt or curb-few fps impact-
wearing a helmet-barely matters-concussion at most
-NO HELMET- cracked skull-neurosurgery maybe die-brain damage

^ Selling Helmet Kool-Aid: The Hard Sell Way ^

Unseen degradation requiring replacement? = More of the same, for the same reason.
Old 04-10-17, 11:58 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
It seems like you are debunking the sales person's hard sell to replace an old helmet, but then conclude by repeating the typical selling point that the manufacturers themselves recommend replacement after 3-5 years, without any substantiating evidence.

My helmet's 8 or more years old. It shows no sign of damage or degradation to the foam or shell. I've replaced the pads and the new pads are pristine. The straps are in excellent shape because I clean them a couple of time a year.

The question isn't the cost. If you believe in helmets, it's absolutely true that the cost is not or should not be a factor. The question is are bike shop sales people - and the manufacturers - trying to sell helmets on false pretenses. Why should you buy something just because some self-interested person or company tells you that you should?

I have no intention of replacing a perfectly good helmet until someone shows me actual independent evidence that there can be hidden degradation or damage - I mean degradation or damage that can't be detected by a normal person without any special knowledge or instruments (i.e. a normal helmet user).

The helmet scare in general is marketing BS. The helmet replacement recommendations are the same.
This is a decision you need to make, not one you base solely on what you read here, as you are a) the one who is wearing your helmet, and b) you know more about your helmet's history than anyone else.

Do you know with certainty your helmet has not been dinged, bumped, kicked or dropped, even accidentally?

Knowing how a bicycle helmet works, that it's a one-time use and is ineffective after the first impact, should influence your decision. (It always surprises me how many people don't "get" this. Maybe you're one of these people, maybe not, we cannot know.)

Time alone may not be a significant factor in the need to replace a bike helmet. Great link to research, by the way, was provided after my first post. Here's another good link (it even references the MEA Forensic research), with a summary at the top for those who are in a hurry: When to Replace a Helmet?

But time, *along with other factors*, may necessitate the need to reconsider buying a new one.

It's not completely "black and white", and no one here can know what your helmet has gone through -- if it was made in 1956, used as a flowerpot by your wife, or starred in a home movie of semi-professional skateboarding by your teenage kids.

Go ahead and dismiss the salesperson's rationale, or not. Believe in a giant conspiracy by helmet manufacturers if you want. We (this forum) are just throwing in our 2 cents and experience; you need to make up your own mind.
Old 04-10-17, 12:04 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I acknowledge that it's reasonable to not take my unvarnished opinion on it. But there IS some real data on this.

Age Does Not Affect the Material Properties of Expanded Polystyrene Liners in Field-Used Bicycle Helmets.

"Six dependent variables were determined from the stress-strain curve derived from each impact (yield strain, yield stress, elastic modulus, plateau slope, energy at 65% compression, and stress at 65% compression), and a general linear model was used to assess the effect of age on each dependent variable with density as a covariate. Age did not affect any of the dependent variables;"

There is some UV degradation as per https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4320144/ but what that doesn't explain is that the photo-degradation is entirely on the surface, and to such a depth as to amount to, literally, a layer of dust. This part isn't really even questionable.
Old 04-11-17, 09:53 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
This is why you don't listen to any salesman. There is no glue other than maybe some adhesive to hold the hard plastic outer shell on. EPS is steam molded into shape.

EPS will break down with UV rays, so you wouldn't want the foam to be stored in direct sunlight. It would probably be best to get a new helmet after many years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.