Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Do you use aero bars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-17, 10:36 AM
Flounce

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. Standard road bike fit, i.e. with hands on the hoods. Added aero bars and adjusted accordingly, i.e. to allow an alternative hand position that gives my arms and core muscles a much-welcomed break. It is NOT in the triathalon aero position, which is an entirely different bike fit in regards to saddle position (fore) and aero bar position (lower).
Old 08-17-17, 09:29 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Well, I'm no triathlon guy, but I've been working at upping both mileage and speed this year...and consequently I've just been doing more thinking in general about cycling.

In regards to the aero bars...I think it really comes down to what you want to use them for. If it's just an additional hand position, or rather a position to take pressure OFF your hands for while...sure I would not make saddle adjustments myself. And like I said...just from my brief pseudo experience, it's still faster as well.

However...if the plan is to spend the MAJORITY of the time on the aero bars, I think adjusting saddle position will actually create a situation closer to your normal riding position than simply clamping on bars and leaning down.

Picture a rider in his normal position, hands on normal bars. Pivot the rider forward, using only his foot position as a pivot point. head/shoulders will go forward and down, butt will go up and forward.
As a long-term user, I agree with all this. I use my 'bars when I'm on the flat and either solo or on the front, or on an easy solo descent. On the usual brevet, group ride, or event around here, I don't think that's ever more than 20%, usually much less. My usual road bike position works fine. In the midwest or Florida that might be different.
Old 08-17-17, 09:34 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
As a long-term user, I agree with all this. I use my 'bars when I'm on the flat and either solo or on the front, or on an easy solo descent. On the usual brevet, group ride, or event around here, I don't think that's ever more than 20%, usually much less. My usual road bike position works fine. In the midwest or Florida that might be different.
Yea, on my longer rides around Chicago.. (40-60 miles for me...nothing compared to most of the people here ), I'll have maybe a couple hundred feet climbing total. There is no such thing as a hill (excluding 1 or 2 highway overpasses), and certainly nothing that would qualify as a descent of any kind. Again...excluding a few hundred feet of highway overpass lol.

Consequently, I've been seriously considering putting aero bars on my steel touring bike.
Old 08-17-17, 06:31 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 505 Posts
154 miles today. Total gain 157' only because I went over some "Humpbacks" over canals in Rotonda West. Down in aero position today.....70+%.
Old 08-18-17, 09:11 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
I'm not a long distance cyclist. But this is my setup. It's comfortable and cool. The original scott dh aero bars.
Here's a post from a different thread:

"I have three Ironman that I have set up as tri bikes they use the original scott dh aero bars. When they first came out even the triathlon pros didn't want to use them. But a couple of second tier pros did and went on a one or two month unbeaten streak. So naturally the other pros soon followed and then finally us age groupers. We saw the pros using them and bam, we had to have them. I grew up on them so to speak so they're totally comfortable for me. They look funny at first,then they look beautiful in their ingenuity. The most successful triathlete to use them was Mike Pigg. He would sit at the nose tip of the saddle and hammer like no one else on the planet. He used regular italian geometry bikes, but in a way invented tri geometry. I'll explain the best I can. If you're riding your regular road bike. If you were to put your elbows on the top bar of you handlebars, you body will be way too far forward. Well that's exactly what the aero bars would do, so you move your butt forward to compensate. So triathletes started moving their saddles forward, when that wasn't enough they reversed their seatpost. That's when they invented forward seatpost. They discovered a few added benefits to the forward position along the way : 1. It simulated running more so therefore when they got off the bike they were able to transition to the running motion quicker. 2. It made you use your quads more, and thereby create much more power.
Everyone knows the benefits to being more aero but some things that triathletes discovered that made these better than riding the drops or using bull horn handlebars : 1. Putting your elbows closer together, created a wedge that really helped you slice thru the wind. 2. Being stretched out in the prone position (basically lying down) allowed you to rest somewhat and work at a lower heartrate. Which in turn kept you fresher for the run.3. Your arms being stretched out allowed your lungs to expand more easily than being in the drops.
Although I moved my saddle forward, Personally I never used a forward seatpost. I like the different positions I can use by not being too far forward. I can ride the tops,I can ride the drops,and I can ride the hoods, and when I really want to go, I scoot a little more forward in the saddle. They're my favorite and the original."
This is what I'm talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
attachment-10.jpg (21.7 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg
attachment-17.jpg (21.9 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by texaspandj; 08-26-17 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-18-17, 06:03 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
I'm not a long distance cyclist.
Context does matter.
Old 08-18-17, 07:44 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
Context does matter.
In that case the longest I've ridden with aero bars is 112 miles, Immediatley followed by a 26.2 mile run. The longest on road bars 150 miles.

Pete Penseyres set a RAAM record in 86 with something very similar to aero bars.
Old 08-31-17, 09:12 AM
83cannondale

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cinelli Spinachi works for me.

I mounted some vintage Cinelli spinachi bars on my 83cannondale rando bike. Used thick foam pipe insulation as padding on hb top flats. Works well for me. Forearms go on pads, hands on the bars. Can even hang a small hb bag underneath.
Done few 200ks, couple each 300k, 400k. Plus a 550k. Aero very important going into wind, for change of position, etc. Tubular foam pipe insulation on top flats instead of typical aero pads is nice because can rest hands there for padded riding. Not able to do that with regular aero pads.

Can add a 600k to that - at about 250 miles I had a crash and sprained wrist. Resting forearm on foam pad, holding opposite side spinachi got me through the lase 125 miles.

Last edited by 83cannondale; 09-27-17 at 06:14 PM. Reason: More info
Old 08-31-17, 07:40 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
I'm not a long distance cyclist. But this is my setup. It's comfortable and cool. The original scott dh aero bars
Thanks for posting that pic. At first I was like what? but then I saw how the hand positions are created out of one piece instead of adding drops, aeros etc...
Old 08-13-18, 01:26 PM
mklieman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished a 3-month 5200+ mile ride across the country (west to east). Riding a Surly Disk Trucker with drop bars. Started out with about 50lbs of gear which slowly decreased to 40lbs over the course of the ride. I added aero bars around mile 3000 when I got into Kansas due to increasing neck pain and repetitive stress issues with my right hand. I can't imagine going back. I likely spent 50-75% of my time in the aero bars after getting them... both on sealed road and gravel. I got them primarily for comfort (I did not have a particularly aggressive position), but nonetheless my speed definitely increased a couple of mph and I was able to do longer days much more comfortably -- I averaged 70+ per day before the aero bars and 80+ after (lots of factors going into that, but the aero bars were clearly an enabler).

I would encourage anyone touring or doing long endurance rides to try them out.
Old 08-13-18, 02:31 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 505 Posts
Just revisited this thread and wanted to say -----

AWESOME RIDE mklieman

Originally Posted by mklieman
I just finished a 3-month 5200+ mile ride across the country (west to east). Riding a Surly Disk Trucker with drop bars. Started out with about 50lbs of gear which slowly decreased to 40lbs over the course of the ride. I added aero bars around mile 3000 when I got into Kansas due to increasing neck pain and repetitive stress issues with my right hand. I can't imagine going back. I likely spent 50-75% of my time in the aero bars after getting them... both on sealed road and gravel. I got them primarily for comfort (I did not have a particularly aggressive position), but nonetheless my speed definitely increased a couple of mph and I was able to do longer days much more comfortably -- I averaged 70+ per day before the aero bars and 80+ after (lots of factors going into that, but the aero bars were clearly an enabler).

I would encourage anyone touring or doing long endurance rides to try them out.
Saw my post from almost 1 year ago ----
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
154 miles today. Total gain 157' only because I went over some "Humpbacks" over canals in Rotonda West. Down in aero position today.....70+%.
----- and realized that last Thursday -- August 9th a little less than a year later I upped the mileage to 201.18, only this time it was a total solo ride. Loving those aero bars even more.