Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Ti Randonneuse

Old 03-28-18, 06:57 AM
iTrod

Bikes: 2018 Litespeed Cherohala SE; 2011 Giant Defy Advanced 1; 2012 Catrike Expedition; 2016 Co-Motion Americano Rohloff, 2018 Giant XTC

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Got the Bike!

I ended up getting the Litespeed Cherohala SE in a medium frame with a 30mm head tube extender and Ultegra mechanical components with hydraulic disc brakes and a 34-11 cassette. It rides like a dream and climbs well. I added PDW City Full Metal Fenders with Fenderbot tail light, Giant CF bottle cages, PDW Magic Flute mini-pump/CO2 inflator, Arkel handlebar bag mounts, Shimano A-600 pedals in black, and two Cateye Omni-3 tail lights. With the accessories, the bike weighs a tad under 24 lb. I have a Schmidt Edelux II and SONdelux generator hub on order. I will post pictures once I figure out how.
Old 03-28-18, 12:44 PM
iTrod

Bikes: 2018 Litespeed Cherohala SE; 2011 Giant Defy Advanced 1; 2012 Catrike Expedition; 2016 Co-Motion Americano Rohloff, 2018 Giant XTC

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Litespeed Cherohala SE Pics

Thanks for the help Eric! Here are the pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cherohala01.jpg (407.5 KB, 409 views)
Cherohala02.jpg (394.7 KB, 399 views)
Cherohala03.jpg (411.2 KB, 401 views)
Cherohala04.jpg (325.4 KB, 400 views)
Cherohala05.jpg (311.5 KB, 405 views)
Cherohala06.jpg (389.7 KB, 398 views)
Cherohala07.jpg (332.2 KB, 395 views)
Cherohala08.jpg (381.1 KB, 399 views)
Cherohala09.jpg (384.6 KB, 395 views)
Cherohala10.jpg (377.5 KB, 401 views)
Cherohala11.jpg (351.3 KB, 395 views)
Cherohala12.jpg (360.7 KB, 397 views)
Old 03-28-18, 02:49 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Does your bar bag interfere with your shifting?

Those fender stays look pretty massive.

Overall it looks very nice. Congrats.
Old 03-28-18, 05:33 PM
iTrod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Does your bar bag interfere with your shifting?

Those fender stays look pretty massive.

Overall it looks very nice. Congrats.
The PDW fenders add about a pound to the bike. It is a pretty solid setup.

Even with snacks in the side net pockets of the large Arkel handlebar bag, there is no contact with the STI shifters.
Old 05-06-18, 05:50 PM
iTrod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Test Ride

Well I logged my first 400 a week ago. The generator lighting system with Schmidt SON generator and Edelux II light mounted on the fork crown were amazing during the night. I got a chance to test the fenders a couple of days ago when I got caught in a downpour. I added a Sinewave Cycles Revolution USB charger. It causes my iPhone to chime and makes my Garmin want to turn off as it cycles on and off, so I will probably use it to charge batteries. I am looking forward to taking on a 600K in the Shenandoahs next weekend.
Litespeed Cherohala SE w/ PDW fenders, Arkel handlebar bag, Giant CF bottle cages, PDW Fenderbot tail light, Schmidt SON generator, Edelux II headlight, and Sinewave Reactor USB charger
Old 05-07-18, 11:40 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Sounds like you are pretty happy with the bike.

I find that a pass through cache battery is needed with some devices when I use my Sinewave charger to charge my Garmin 64 GPS. The battery that I use as the pass through cache battery is no longer sold so I can't make a suggestion on what to buy. If you are not familiar with the concept of a pass through cache battery, it is described rather well here:
https://www.cyclingabout.com/best-dy...fer-batteries/

But I found that the Goal Zero Flip 10 batteries described in that article do not work well with my Garmin 64, so I have no idea if they will work with your phone or your Garmin.

Or, like you said, use it to charge your battery pack.

Addendum, I just looked harder at that website, it used to recommend the Goal Zero batteries, but it no longer does. Interesting.
Old 05-07-18, 02:09 PM
seajaye

Bikes: 650b traditional rando, 700c SS rando, 700c fast rando..... plus a mountain, folder, and retired urban track in the basement

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking great! I meant to take a look and chat more at the flèche finish. Everyone seemed to have new steeds (I'm looking at you too, @rhm).

Does the handlebar-mounted bag make handling weird? I used to have that set-up on my first few rando bikes, and the high-up bars seemed to exacerbate funky steering.

Titanium would be cool, maybe one day....
Old 05-07-18, 04:13 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
That's the way his other bikes are set up, so he doesn't know any better. But in all seriousness, I think we all have a different level of tolerance for weight on the handlebars. I used to ride my racing bike with a handlebar bag like that and it never bothered me. Even my current rando bag is not ideal, not enough fork rake, so the weight is too far out from the steering axis. I'm sure I would like more weight to be behind the axle, but I have yet to build a longer rake fork. Maybe this week
Old 05-07-18, 06:47 PM
Tourist in MSN

I try to keep my handlebar bag as low as practical and as close to the steerer tube (steering axis) as practical. On all my bikes that have a handlebar bag, I use a second stem or something similar.

A good example of what I am talking about is my Lynskey, photo attached. This is the only bike I have where I used an adjustable stem for the bar bag bracket, but it worked out great for lowering the bar bag and pulling it a bit closer to the steering axis. A short piece of clear PVC pipe is used between the second stem and the bar bag bracket, I did not have a spare handlebar that I wanted to cut down for that purpose. I have been using that piece of PVC pipe now for over five years, so it has demonstrated that it will last.

The lid of my bar bag is under part of my GPS, but it is not that inconvenient so I decided not to make any changes.

Old 05-08-18, 10:27 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by seajaye
...Everyone seemed to have new steeds (I'm looking at you too, @rhm)....
Well I'm not going to hijack this thread... but my 'new' bike is a custom frame that I initially ordered a little over two years ago. You can follow the process in this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-frame-15.html

I haven't updated that thread; perhaps I'll get to it soon(ish). But I rode this bike on the DC fleche, PA 300k randonnee, PA fleche, and last weekend the PA 400k randonnee. I'm gradually tweaking the setup; during the last two months, I've changed the brakes, the saddle, the stem, the front wheel... on Saturday's randonnee I decided to flip the stem over (turning a 17 degree drop to 17 degree rise, thus raising the handlebar by 35 mm). I'll try it that way on the 600k, less than two weeks away.

I realize the question about the handlebar bag wasn't addressed to me, but I am extremely pleased with the way this bike handles with a loaded front bag. It does not shimmy at all. I can control the bike with a very light touch, fingers on the top of the bar and thumb on the stem. I can ride no-hands, though that's easier when the bag isn't too heavily loaded.

Undecided whether I'd call the bike "slow." I am not riding as fast this year as I did last year, but that is to some degree a conscious choice.
Old 05-14-18, 09:50 AM
iTrod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Sounds like you are pretty happy with the bike.

I find that a pass through cache battery is needed with some devices when I use my Sinewave charger to charge my Garmin 64 GPS. The battery that I use as the pass through cache battery is no longer sold so I can't make a suggestion on what to buy. If you are not familiar with the concept of a pass through cache battery, it is described rather well here:
https://www.cyclingabout.com/best-dy...fer-batteries/

But I found that the Goal Zero Flip 10 batteries described in that article do not work well with my Garmin 64, so I have no idea if they will work with your phone or your Garmin.

Or, like you said, use it to charge your battery pack.

Addendum, I just looked harder at that website, it used to recommend the Goal Zero batteries, but it no longer does. Interesting.
From my reading, the pass through design reduces the longevity of the battery. I suspect they will become extinct for this reason.
Old 05-14-18, 10:20 AM
iTrod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seajaye
Looking great! I meant to take a look and chat more at the flèche finish. Everyone seemed to have new steeds (I'm looking at you too, @rhm).

Does the handlebar-mounted bag make handling weird? I used to have that set-up on my first few rando bikes, and the high-up bars seemed to exacerbate funky steering.

Titanium would be cool, maybe one day....
I survived a challenging (read lots of climbing in the heat) 600K with the Cherohala this weekend past. I love the bike more with each turn of the crank. The frame is plenty stiff for a clyde like me climbing out of the saddle, is amazingly comfortable, and descends like a bat out of hell.
The bag does not seem to affect handling at all. I ride with and without the bag and cannot tell the difference while riding. Riding one handed is not a problem. I am too damn old and fragile to ride "no hands" at this point. That said, I do not store tools, tires, batteries, or other heavy stuff in the handlebar bag. I store batteries on my frame bags and tools in the seat canister attached to my Dill Pickle Gear medium saddle bag. BTW, I took my new Dill Pickle Gear saddle bag system on the 600 and loved it-truly a triumph in design and workmanship.
Old 05-14-18, 05:16 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I can't see a properly designed pass-through circuit hurting the batteries much. Would depend on how often the battery got discharged during a charging cycle, and if it's a lot of current. I don't think a garmin or a phone would be particularly aggressive about discharging the battery, and that can be controlled by the battery. I have noticed that Anker doesn't seem to have pass-through any more. I suspect they didn't want to do the engineering to make it work well. There are a lot of scammers in the phone charger battery business nowadays, I'm sure there is someone promising pass-through that doesn't actually do it very well.
Old 05-14-18, 05:24 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by joewein
You probably already decided on titanium as a material and don't want to hear this but...

Yes, Ti bikes sound good on paper: It's half the density of steel, so a Ti bike should be lighter. Unfortunately its stiffness (Young's modulus) is also only half that of steel. If you were to increase the wall thickness to allow for this, there would be no weight advantage. So to get any weight savings at all, you got to go to oversize tubes with thinner walls, which then get dinged more easily. Also, you can't use oversize tubes in certain places, like chain stays where space is limited between the cranks and the tires.

It's much more difficult to build Ti well than it is with steel and it shows. Three guys I know who ride Ti bikes have suffered cracked frames and either had to get them replaced or re-welded (that's about half the people I know who ride Ti bikes). I know a few people who wrote off carbon frames after collisions. I know one person who destroyed a steel frame in a head on collision with an obstacle but none who lost one through metal fatigue or rust. Even though Ti is not supposed to have corrosion issues, in practice I think most steel frames will outlive most Ti frames, simply because of the lower incidence of manufacturing defects.

If you still want to go for a Ti bike, get a good one. With Ti it does not pay to hunt for bargains.
You seem to be saying that a straight gauge Ti frame with .9mm tube walls is either heavy at 3.2 pounds or is easily dented, despite the low stiffness and high strength compared to a steel bike.

What leads you to that conclusion?
Old 05-22-18, 01:34 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
You seem to be saying that a straight gauge Ti frame with .9mm tube walls is either heavy at 3.2 pounds or is easily dented, despite the low stiffness and high strength compared to a steel bike.?
No, I said no such thing. It's your own interpretation of the facts that I pointed out about bike materials.
Old 05-22-18, 06:05 PM
Kontact 

No, I said no such thing. It's your own interpretation of the facts that I pointed out about bike materials.
So when will the ti frame be either heavier or more easily dented than steel, as you were mentioning?

My understanding is that Ti lower stiffness means it is harder to dent than similar thickness steel because it can flex further before plastic deformation.
Old 05-23-18, 03:53 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
My understanding is that Ti lower stiffness means it is harder to dent than similar thickness steel because it can flex further before plastic deformation.
While it's true that the less stiff material will flex further than the stiffer material on an impact of similar energy, it's the ultimate tensile strength that determines if a given impact will lead to plastic deformation (i.e. permanent shape change). Titanium is about half as stiff as iron/steel, while yield strength (which varies across a wide range according to alloying and heat treatment) covers a similar range. More specifically, 3AL-2.5V titanium in annealed condition has a very similar ultimate tensile strength to 4130 (cro-moly) that has been normalized.

Please note that I'm not claiming that titanium does not offer any advantages over steel. However it's not as simple as a ti frame being half the weight of a steel frame of similar performance simply because the metal is half as dense. To get the most out of titanium you have to carefully optimize tube diameter and wall thickness. Both welding and cutting are more difficult. Not every builder gets that right.
Old 05-23-18, 05:05 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
The PDW fenders are great. Easy to install, lightweight, and no rattles.

I mounted my PDW front fender with the tab on the front of the fork, to rotate the fender forward. I used a longer bolt and a larger washer to cover the wider fender hole at the back. And I got a 3/8 inch tall nylon spacer at the hardware store, from their bolts and fittings drawers. A wrap of tape makes it stay snug in the countersunk fender hole on the back side of the fork. Then the fender bolt stays centered in the hole.
Old 05-23-18, 06:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

yeah, they look nice. I was thinking about getting some after I saw itrod's fenders.
Old 05-23-18, 09:28 AM
Kontact 

While it's true that the less stiff material will flex further than the stiffer material on an impact of similar energy, it's the ultimate tensile strength that determines if a given impact will lead to plastic deformation (i.e. permanent shape change). Titanium is about half as stiff as iron/steel, while yield strength (which varies across a wide range according to alloying and heat treatment) covers a similar range. More specifically, 3AL-2.5V titanium in annealed condition has a very similar ultimate tensile strength to 4130 (cro-moly) that has been normalized.

Please note that I'm not claiming that titanium does not offer any advantages over steel. However it's not as simple as a ti frame being half the weight of a steel frame of similar performance simply because the metal is half as dense. To get the most out of titanium you have to carefully optimize tube diameter and wall thickness. Both welding and cutting are more difficult. Not every builder gets that right.
Ti tubing is not normally used in an annealed state for bicycles. I think you are making issues that were worked out pretty satisfactorily 30 years ago sound like reasons a Ti frame wouldn't perform well today.

I currently have 4 ti bikes, and owned another 2 at one time. All them were made in the '90s, and none have failed. I was the service manager at a Serotta and Seven dealer - I saw one cracked Ti frame during my time there, and none at previous Litespeed and IF dealers I worked for. I did see a number of cracked steel frames.The failure rate of Ti is not high.
Old 05-23-18, 12:27 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

ya know, materials wars are so passe I might fall asleep before I finish this post.
Old 05-23-18, 02:23 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by unterhausen
ya know, materials wars are so passe I might fall asleep before I finish this post.
It isn't so much a "materials war" that is about opinions, we're just trying to understand each other in terms of straight engineering information.
Old 05-23-18, 05:51 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

really? Are you engineers?
Old 05-23-18, 06:27 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by unterhausen
really? Are you engineers?
Why? Is engineering information written in something that an English speaker can't read?
Old 05-23-18, 09:24 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Why? Is engineering information written in something that an English speaker can't read?
Sometimes, yes. Not all engineers can write.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.