Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Best Dog Defense ?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Best Dog Defense ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-18, 09:28 AM
bkentr

Bikes: yes, Bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Best Dog Defense ?

A few years ago, about 15, I was really having some fun riding and building recumbents.

My fav was a LWB with underseat steering. I just loved having my "Park Bench" with me when visiting a park.

I stopped having fun doing so after a very large, angry, and noisy dog came charging full speed right at my face.
The dogs owner was , of course, ignoring any leash laws, and not interested at all with my concern about her dog.

Any bent riders here that have had that happen?

What's the best defense ? With out getting arrested for animal cruel ity .
Old 02-22-18, 12:39 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by bkentr
What's the best defense ? With out getting arrested for animal cruel ity .

Appreciate the stipulation. This topic comes up frequently and usually eventually gets locked.

To answer the question, despite living in farm country, I don't have many problems. I just talk gently, keep riding and they eventually turn around. Vicious dogs can be reported to the local animal control agency.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 02-22-18 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 03:37 PM
mchell

Bikes: Rans Screamer, Catrike Expedition, Specialized Montain Bike, Cannondale Quick SL1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This will stop them in their tracks. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-1...g-Horn#reviews
Also good for the pathway users who wear ear buds and can't hear a bike bell. Mike
Old 02-23-18, 07:10 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Just standing up does a lot to defuse most dog situations. If necessary, you can grab your bike/trike and hold it between you and the dog, to be used as either a shield or a weapon. Trikes are more awkward for that. Of course you can't do that while you're riding.
Old 02-23-18, 08:39 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I’ve told this story before, but a new house was built on a road that I frequently use and came with two Rottweilers. The first few rides, they chased and barked but didn’t look exceptionally vicious so I decided I would stop one day and try to make friends since I ride by here so much.

So, I stop and get off my lowracer and here they come. First one knocks me down (I’m short) and they both start licking and slobbering all over me. One got bored quickly and left but the other one continued to lick me to death on the ground. Lady finally came out and “saved” me from drowning in drool.

Old 02-23-18, 09:39 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
If you can anticipate the dog coming at you just have your water bottle ready and douse him with what ever you're drinking.
Old 02-23-18, 09:39 AM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
A spray bottle with vinegar works really well, no one will get you for cruelty to animals with that. Alternatively, there is pepper spray.
Old 02-23-18, 09:01 PM
bkentr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some good and varied ideas.

i have heard about the pepper spray, mace, and "bear repellent" before, and considered those.

The waterbottle would be very handy, and could not be considered a threat when not in use.

At the time, it was a shock. My response was to sell the two LWB bikes, scrap out the semi, and toss the
SWB into the metal dumpster, complete, didn't even save the tires/wheels.

Sometimes I do wish the LWB was still here, it offered a great diversion.
Old 02-24-18, 04:09 PM
sch

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
I was concerned about dogs when I first started riding, but they have never been a problem
on the bent, which is about 15" off the street. But then I rarely have a problem on the DF
bike either. In the modern era (post 1996, when resumed riding after 18yr hiatus) I have
been bitten once, about 1 block from my house with resultant scratch and torn sock.
Closest encounter was a dog that ran with us for about 4 miles and wanted to be petted
so bad he slobbered all over my sleeve as he ran beside me at 16 mph. The vast majority
of dogs seem to be well aware of the property line and peel off as soon as they hit it.

Back in the '70s when broken off car aerials were not uncommon I would carry one fastened
to the top tube, it could rapidly be grabbed, extended to ~36" and dogs never saw it coming
but that could dissuade the most rabid chaser with one whack.

Pepper spray works IF you hit the dog's face, but I have seen people crash trying to spray
dogs and also ridden into the left over cloud of spray with mildly annoying results. Dogs will
veer off if water bottle spray is directed at them, again this is slightly hazardous to the rider
from a control POV, especially if several dogs are involved.
Old 02-24-18, 05:24 PM
bkentr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The water bottle still sounds simple.
the horn could be set up with a button on the handlebars so as to not crash. That sounds good too.
Old 02-24-18, 05:35 PM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
I'm 64 and been chased by countless dogs, but never been bitten. I use a variety of verbal techniques toward dogs, depending on their actions and breed. Just the other day I spotted a cattle dog hunkered down by a tree waiting to pounce. I gave a loud "Hey! I see you." He looked extremely disappointed and watched me ride by. I find most respond to a calm, stern voice. Especially if you slow down.

Only once did I fear getting bit and couldn't get away. So I dismounted and put the bike between me and the dog. He insisted at getting me, so I eventually pinned him down with the rear wheel. He got out in a few seconds, yet his demeanor changed from "I want you." to "I want away from you." Rode that same route for years and never saw him again.

I like dogs.
Old 02-24-18, 07:30 PM
bkentr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have also been chased many times, but not bitten.
It was just the right in your face nose to nose thing that shocked me enough to go back to presenting
my legs as lunch instead of my nose.

It was a bent rider at the local bike shop that suggested the bear repellent, which he carries.
Claims to have ridden hundreds of miles on his trike, and planning a cross country trip this year.
Didn't say if he ever used the repellent or not.
Old 02-24-18, 07:39 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,514 Times in 2,857 Posts
What's the best defense ?
Take a bigger dog with you.
Old 02-25-18, 08:14 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I have also been chased many times, but not bitten.
It was just the right in your face nose to nose thing that shocked me .
It's been awhile but I remember having that experience on my DF road bike. I was just riding along when I became aware of a Great Dane, with bad breath, loping along beside me.
Old 02-25-18, 12:57 PM
sch

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Yeah, the scariest dogs are the stealthy ones that silently run up behind you
and you only become aware when they are a few feet away angling toward
your legs. The barkers and huffers seem a bit less likely to attack than
the stealth dogs. From my POV, the most dangerous dogs are those chasing
a cyclist in front of you, unaware of you behind and then when the dog slows and
turns to go home you run into the animal, guaranteed crash.
Old 02-26-18, 09:11 PM
bkentr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, the sneaky ones that only start barking at about 5' away and running full speed. Like the one that startled me.

Thanks, Shinagnolo, of course, having a Bigger dog on hand might help a lot.

So all i need is a loud horn, pepper spray, an old "whip" antenna, a can of spray mace, bear repellent,
and a couple of water bottles, one with vinegar. I might add a "ACME Thunderer" police whistle, witch i have.

That should be enough defense, it might even be enough to cause me to find or build another bent bike.

Thank you all for your replies, even if the list above sounds a bit humorous when listed out together,
I take each suggestion seriously and will consider using any or all.
Old 02-27-18, 09:43 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,514 Times in 2,857 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Yeah, the scariest dogs are the stealthy ones that silently run up behind you
and you only become aware when they are a few feet away angling toward
your legs. The barkers and huffers seem a bit less likely to attack than
the stealth dogs.
That was my experience.
Back in college, I was out running a dirt road in the country one day.
Suddenly, I heard a bunch of barking/yapping behind me.
I turned around to see two dogs:
- The little one making all the noise.
- The silent big one, in midair in the split second before he sunk his teeth in the back of my thigh.
Old 02-27-18, 12:40 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Some of the local riders carry a whistle, either the larger "storm whistle" or a coach's type whistle. That works on maybe 1/2 or 2/3 of the dogs. I've seen dogs making a bee-line for the bike(s) and just stop in their tracks when a whistle is blown. But it isn't a 100% cure, either, and some of them just pay it no mind. Worn on a lanyard (with break-away feature) for quick access.

I try to talk/holler to them like they're my dog, not sure if that works any better than screaming or making gorilla noises or whatever the other options are. Probably a half-dozen times, I've unclipped and kicked a dog that was getting too close (riding an upright bike, so the angle works better). I'm right-footed, so that doesn't work as well if the dog's on the left.
Old 02-27-18, 04:05 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I love dog threads.

About 25 years ago I was riding a tandem with my teen aged son on an organized ride in rural Southern Illinois. We had just caught up with a group of 5 single bike riders when we passed a farmstead and a pack of 5 dogs came out to say "Hello!". Each of the single bike riders grabbed for their weapon of choice: two grabbed frame pumps, two water bottles and one woman had some kind of high tech sonic thingie. My son and I didn't do anything except ride on and watch. As the situation settled out, each of the single bike riders had a dog barking at their heels while my son and I were left alone. My theory is that dogs sense riders fear so the more fear of dogs you feel the more likely you are to be assaulted by dogs.
Old 02-27-18, 06:12 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I love dog threads.

About 25 years ago I was riding a tandem with my teen aged son on an organized ride in rural Southern Illinois. We had just caught up with a group of 5 single bike riders when we passed a farmstead and a pack of 5 dogs came out to say "Hello!". Each of the single bike riders grabbed for their weapon of choice: two grabbed frame pumps, two water bottles and one woman had some kind of high tech sonic thingie. My son and I didn't do anything except ride on and watch. As the situation settled out, each of the single bike riders had a dog barking at their heels while my son and I were left alone. My theory is that dogs sense riders fear so the more fear of dogs you feel the more likely you are to be assaulted by dogs.
My usual experience, too. Dogs love excitement and screaming and yelling is exciting.

Old 03-05-18, 07:42 PM
CuHead

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some dogs just like to run next to the moving bike and bark at a moving wheel. The one I remember clearly was in Southern Illinois, near Carbondale, where a dog was at a very fast run with his nose a few inches away from my front wheel and barking. It lasted 50-100 yards. I forgot the name of that big park. I saw turkeys there once, flying across the road in front of me. I'd hate to collide with one of those. Another time I looked over the side of a bridge and saw the fattest snakes I've ever seen, resting on rocks in the middle of a small creek.
Old 04-10-18, 04:34 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Size up dog. If manageable, get off bike, kick dog around a little, more if necessary, leave. Keep in mind, most dogs are complete frauds. Like Trump, they lead with a lot of pointless noise, put on a big show and leave without doing much of anything. If you attack the dog, IT WILL NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO!

You heard it here first. bk
Old 04-10-18, 06:18 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Take a bigger dog with you.
Nah, it's easier to carry a squirrel. Drop the squirrel as bait. The dog won't be able to resist it, and will probably never catch it either. So you can pick it up on the way home for re-use later.

The squirrel will enjoy the activities, too.
Old 04-10-18, 08:21 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
The number of times I really felt threatened by a dog in 17 years of riding recumbent trikes and bikes has been very few. The one that really surprised me was a few years ago as I was leaving a dog park and beginning a climb on an overpass access. I saw a lady coming down the other half of the switchback with a leash in her hand so I stopped to allow here to make the bend without my interference as the trike takes up the entire width of the path in a turn. To my surprise she had a second dog, not leashed, that came around the bend and hopped right into my lap and began to lick my face. She was horrified. I was laughing too hard to complain.
Old 04-10-18, 08:36 PM
BorderRider

Bikes: Look 566 - Raleigh Mountain Deore (1988)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Nah, it's easier to carry a squirrel. Drop the squirrel as bait. The dog won't be able to resist it, and will probably never catch it either. So you can pick it up on the way home for re-use later.

The squirrel will enjoy the activities, too.
Will a stuffed squirrel bring the same results?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.