Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Dammit Electra

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Dammit Electra

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-18, 12:21 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Dammit Electra

So about a year ago I picked up an Electra Moto 3i asked a few questions and made some comments ect.

https://www.bikeforums.net/beach-cru...rm-review.html

Ive ridden it a bit and after this amount of time I thought if there was something I would've improved the bike it would've been this.

!) A few more gears. I like the internal hub for its simplicity an style but it lacks a little on the hills.
2) Different Tires The 29x2.125 are nice but for me I missed the suspension on my Trek DS8.4 it just gave that little extra cushion.
3) Hydraulic Disk brakes. The mechanicals are nice but hydro is just so much better. Less effort and better feel.

Now 1 year later I'm looking for a replacement tire for my 2009 Electra Cruiser and what do I find on the website?

Electra Super Moto 8i

Its as if they read my mind.

1) 8 speed internal over the 3.
2) 27.5 x 2.8 Tires Slightly smaller but almost 3" wide tires to change the ride.
3) Tektro 2 Finger Hydro brakes

Damn them.
Old 02-25-18, 01:00 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Dear LAWDY!!! If I hadn't just had a car accident about 2 weeks ago, I'd be all over this baby!!!
Old 02-26-18, 06:08 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by JehD
So about a year ago I picked up an Electra Moto 3i asked a few questions and made some comments ect.

https://www.bikeforums.net/beach-cru...rm-review.html

Ive ridden it a bit and after this amount of time I thought if there was something I would've improved the bike it would've been this.

!) A few more gears. I like the internal hub for its simplicity an style but it lacks a little on the hills.
2) Different Tires The 29x2.125 are nice but for me I missed the suspension on my Trek DS8.4 it just gave that little extra cushion.
3) Hydraulic Disk brakes. The mechanicals are nice but hydro is just so much better. Less effort and better feel.

Now 1 year later I'm looking for a replacement tire for my 2009 Electra Cruiser and what do I find on the website?

Electra Super Moto 8i

Its as if they read my mind.

1) 8 speed internal over the 3.
2) 27.5 x 2.8 Tires Slightly smaller but almost 3" wide tires to change the ride.
3) Tektro 2 Finger Hydro brakes

Damn them.
I saw that but had no idea it was a 27.5 + very nice ride.
Old 02-26-18, 09:36 PM
JehD

I would love to get it but I really can’t justify it and it’s not cost effective to upgrade mine like it.
Old 02-27-18, 12:35 PM
SHOFINE

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 15 Posts
I saw a 3i at my LBS a while back and thought it should have been the Alfine 8. I just built up a new 650b+ wheelset Alfine 8 spd for my Trek Sawyer and got them same big arse Super Motos.
Old 03-03-18, 10:21 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by SHOFINE
I saw a 3i at my LBS a while back and thought it should have been the Alfine 8. I just built up a new 650b+ wheelset Alfine 8 spd for my Trek Sawyer and got them same big arse Super Motos.
I loved the look of the Sawyer and regret not getting one when they were being produced. The Moto seems like the next best thing.
Old 04-30-18, 07:35 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Hi JehD, I too have been eyeballing this bicycle, as well as similar ones. In your other thread you mention the awkward pedal to seat angle bothered your knees, do you still feel that way about it?
Also, where us this bike made, and is there a parent company?
I like the idea of eight speed internal hubs. I and a friend test rode a Linus at a bike shop last year with that same hub set up, and really liked it.
Any additional info that anybody can add about these bikes would be really helpful.
Thanks all.
Old 05-06-18, 06:58 PM
JehD

Regarding the seat angle I was finding that on Electra’s standard “pedal forward flat foot” design.

Normally sitting on a bike you shouldn’t be able put your foot on the ground without getting off the seat. But the Electra’s seats are raked back and lower so you can and consequently in my case it hurts my knees to brake.

In the Moto it’s more of a standard fitment and it’s not a coaster brake. So I don’t have knee issues while braking.

Ive been happy with the bike and haven’t had any issues.