Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Chris Froome and the 2018 TdF

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 04:58 AM
Pemetic2006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chri...our-de-france/
Old 03-23-18, 01:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
On one hand you want to say they are giving the him a chance to prove he's innocent because there is a reason for the level being high for natural reasons or for reasons outside his control when using it as allowed.

Though one might ask for the same reason, why don't we allow all riders to start a race whether they tested positive for anything or not. Shouldn't they also get a chance to come up with some excuse??

I guess I mean if someone that test's positive several days before a race is banned from that race, why shouldn't one that test positive or is outside the limits for a substance during the race be banned?
Old 03-23-18, 02:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
This isn't a legal matter. The Tour de France is a business venture. Advertising and publicity are at its core (literally; it was started by a newspaper as advertising). If ASO (owner of the Tour de France) deems letting Froome ride the Tour isn't in its best financial interests, there is little either Froome's team or UCI can do. (UCI can protest very loudly but they have little weight beyond words. It is common knowledge that UCI could not remain as a feasible operation without ASO and the Tour de France (and ASO's other races, Paris- Roubaix and Vuelta d'Espania) but ASO and the Tour would do just fine without UCI. They can threaten to drop the Tour; they have in the past, but if they did, each rider and team would have to chose between the Tour and the rest of the pro circuit and for many, that is an easy choice. They grew up watching the Tour. They dreamed of riding the Tour. Winning the Tour is the biggest victory a racer can win; by a lot.

The Tour has been scarred in recent years but drugs; Festina, allowing Contador to ride and win then having UCI pull that win. They don't want to see that again. Plus, the Tour is very French. Froome and Sky are not. The Tour will have absolutely no incentive to roll out a carpet for Froome/Sky. (That the UCI president is also French is another card not in Froome's favor.)

Ben
Old 03-23-18, 03:01 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
This isn't a legal matter.
It is. The EU has many laws protecting an individual's right to earn a living.
Old 03-23-18, 03:25 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
It is. The EU has many laws protecting an individual's right to earn a living.
You are probably right. I hope I get to see the lawyers arguing in front of a jury of working class French citizens that costing Chris Froome (the highest paid cyclist in the world) possibly a million dollars is going to put him into poverty.

Ben
Old 03-24-18, 12:21 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
You are probably right. I hope I get to see the lawyers arguing in front of a jury of working class French citizens that costing Chris Froome (the highest paid cyclist in the world) possibly a million dollars is going to put him into poverty.

Ben
I hate it for him.
Old 03-28-18, 09:41 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
cheating cheater

Can Science Rescue Chris Froome? | The Outer Line

The above link still gives him the benefit of the doubt for overusing a rescue inhaler which nobody with the kind of medical oversight Froome has would be allowed to do. More real asthmatics (vs fake athletic asthmatics) should be chiming in around this, there is no reason to use a rescue inhaler like that.
Old 03-29-18, 06:46 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Part of me thinks he is innocent. I remember the stage where he was coughing so bad at the end he couldn't do the interview.
But if he is that sick how does he win and how come there are no images of him using the inhaler.
I am no expert but it seems he took a lot so he must have been in the hotel puffing the whole time. Check out the stage finish on the Anglirou him and Wout where fresh as a daisy bunny hopping the obstacle near the finish.
It's a shame because i beleive he was genuine when he said they could test his blood in ten years time and find nothing. Perhaps he didn't mean drugs which where illegal but not ethical.
Anyway i am disappointed because when i talk about
cycling first thing people say is "druggies".
Soccer players, rugby players(and check those guys out) are clean. And the rugby players have a lot too answer for when it comes to young men in my country.
Do i want him in the grand tours this year?

Last edited by blamester; 03-29-18 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-29-18, 09:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by blamester
......how come there are no images of him using the inhaler.
There should be plenty of video footage. I noticed both him and Contador using an inhaler quite often just before and during climbs during the 2017 Veulta. A few others too.

I want to say I saw the same during the TDF, but that's been too long for my feeble memory.
Old 03-30-18, 05:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

One step closer... or should I say "huff"? UCI rejects Froome's defense, sends case to anti-doping court | VeloNews.com
Old 03-31-18, 11:24 AM
Pemetic2006

Apparently the case has been sent to the UCI's Anti-Doping Tribunal but Froome tweeted out (and then later deleted the tweet) that that was "fake news". Since he said it is "fake news" I 100 percent believe it is not.
Old 04-01-18, 04:32 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
One interesting fact is that in '13 Froome beat doped 2003 Armstrong's time up Mont Ventoux.
Old 04-03-18, 05:36 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
One interesting fact is that in '13 Froome beat doped 2003 Armstrong's time up Mont Ventoux.
You mean doped Froome beat doped Armstrong?

Everything I have read about Froome and Sky, including this most recent incident and their "excuses" is beyond fishy.

Why in the world do they let these guys use inhalers? As others have said, the asthma card is being played way too often, and perhaps they need to simply draw the line and tell them they might not be able to be the world's best cyclist if they have asthma.
Old 04-24-18, 06:45 PM
fantom1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
perhaps they need to simply draw the line and tell them they might not be able to be the world's best cyclist if they have asthma.
Quoted for cruel hard truth.
Old 04-26-18, 07:47 AM
radripperaj

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they need to simply draw the line and tell them they might not be able to be the world's best cyclist if they have asthma.
exactly!
Old 04-26-18, 01:03 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Why in the world do they let these guys use inhalers? As others have said, the asthma card is being played way too often, and perhaps they need to simply draw the line and tell them they might not be able to be the world's best cyclist if they have asthma.
Either that or they need to take the medication completely off the list.

There's no reason for it to be "somewhere in the middle".
Old 04-28-18, 12:03 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
It is laughable to think that people who truly have severe asthma are tip top athletes. They should just ban all use of inhalers. Not fair to the one in a hundred who really have severe asthma but manage to compete through it but too bad so sad, life aint fair.
Old 05-31-18, 02:02 AM
Bigchnrngstory

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Froome and the Tour

Its funny that Bernard Hinault thinks Froome isnt a cycling great and should stay out of the Tour because of the doping scandal. This from a guy who refused to be drug tested after his 1982 Tour victory. What a joke. He won his 5th only because Greg Lemond was told to slow down. Otherwise, Lemond would’ve won. As for almost winning a 6th, Hinault’s role that year was to support Greg Lemond. A role he promised to play and then backed out of when it suited him. He couldn't beat Lemond then either. He’s a cheat and a liar. Does anyone really believe the French don’t cheat? Please.
The French are sore losers and are embarassed by the fact they can’t win their own race. They tried to pull Greg Lemond off his bike on the last stage of his first Tour victory. They throw urine on Froome. Real sportsmen. Anything to prevent a non Frenchman’s victory. Of course they want Froome out of the race, doping or not they can’t beat him because he’s too strong and so is his team. His domestics can tear apart the field in the process of hauling Froome up front for the win. Witness this year’s Giro and last year’s Tour. The same probably holds true for Lance also, no one could've beaten him the years he won, doping or not. This line about him and Froome discrediting the sport or somehow diminishing the sport is another joke. I didn’t notice the crowds were any smaller at the Giro this year and I’ll bet the revenue wasn't down either.

Old 05-31-18, 06:49 AM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Froome and team Sky appear to have the best “Team Chemistry” !
Old 05-31-18, 07:29 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Since I'm an unrepentant irrational Froome\Sky hater...I say ban away. The tour will be more interesting without him.

BTW, has Froome ever lost a grand tour that he was the GC rider? Excluding the ones he crashed out.
Old 05-31-18, 03:57 PM
Pemetic2006

Originally Posted by bikecrate
Since I'm an unrepentant irrational Froome\Sky hater...I say ban away. The tour will be more interesting without him.

BTW, has Froome ever lost a grand tour that he was the GC rider? Excluding the ones he crashed out.
Pretty sure he has lost The Vuelta.
Old 05-31-18, 06:39 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by Pemetic2006

Pretty sure he has lost The Vuelta.
2nd place in 2014 and 2016, though I'm not sure that most people would consider being on the GC podium of a grand tour a "loss"
Old 06-01-18, 05:08 AM
Pemetic2006

Originally Posted by MinnMan
2nd place in 2014 and 2016, though I'm not sure that most people would consider being on the GC podium of a grand tour a "loss"
Thanks.
I just meant "lost" in the sense of not winning overall.
Old 06-08-18, 12:19 PM
CerveloJoe

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is such a shame we even need to debate this. We don't live in an ideal world and unfortunately, athletes are going to be compelled to cheat. Not so sound callous, but if the medication is deemed illegal, an athlete shouldn't be able to use it regardless of their condition. This may be unfortunate for asthma sufferers, but if that is a rule everyone has to abide by, how else can it be enforced. I remember a similar decision that was made in professional golf back in the 90's. One competitor had a degenerative ailment that severely affected one of his legs and ability to walk. He petitioned to use a cart, but was refused. The ruling seemed a little inhumane, but rules are normally black and white. A rider that suffers from asthma is in a similar situation. It seems unfair in a way, but how does the governing body determine if the medication gives the athlete an unfair advantage.

This is a great and historical sport with Le Tour de France being the crown jewel. I would really love to see it protected from scandal at all cost. The best athlete is going to win, all things being equal. If all are clean or if all are doping, this will be the case. But, if some are and some aren't, this becomes the issue. Devise better test measures. Pre and post test the top 10 GC riders each day and post test the top 10+ finishers after each stage. Something needs to be done in order to revitalize everyones confidence in this great sport before it's too late.
Old 06-09-18, 05:55 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Everyone keeps mentioning "inhalers", yet I remember hearing soon after this story broke that it was impossible to get such a high level of salbutamol in one's urine without injections (not inhalers). This can only mean that he received injections, a clear violation.

Has there been some change to this information?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.