Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I know how you folks thrive on hit-and-run stories...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

I know how you folks thrive on hit-and-run stories...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-18, 06:15 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I know how you folks thrive on hit-by-car stories...

Forgive me if it's a repeated post. I could not find another one.

Baton Rouge Councilman Buddy Amoroso killed in West Feliciana crash; man arrested

Makes me wonder if Councilman Amoroso knew how "statistically safe" it is to cycle on public highways these days.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 07-11-18 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-02-18, 11:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Driver should have paid as much attention to the road as he did to his eyebrows.
Old 07-03-18, 12:28 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
State Police took over the investigation per protocol for a traffic fatality and troopers spent some time examining a white SUV with obvious damage to the passenger side headlight that was pulled over a short distance ahead of the bikes.
It doesn't sound like hit and run to me.

Not a lot of details about the presumed cause of the crash.

A 61 year old's life was ended prematurely,

And, a 21 year old will go through hell for the rest of his life.
Old 07-03-18, 08:06 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
"Pulled over a short distance ahead" =/= hit and run.
Old 07-03-18, 02:31 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by CliffordK
...A 61 year old's life was ended prematurely...
I just turned 60. Every time I throw my leg over a top-tube to ride near auto traffic I think to myself: "This could be my last few minutes on Earth". So if I ever get hozed, it's not premature - it's right on time. I make my choices and live or die by them without second guessing. However, I am totally done with cycling on 2-lane country highways with no shoulders (as many here already know). And lookie! I am still here wasting everybodie's breathing air!

The last thing most cyclists think when they clip in is - this might be my last ride. It's the FIRST thing I think of. Nobody is making me take any risk. It's all on me.
Old 07-03-18, 02:51 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I wonder why the negligent homicide charges. I don't think I have seen that in LA in recent years. Just a few months ago some idiot was texting and driving when she killed a cyclist. No charges at all.
Old 07-03-18, 02:52 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I am totally done with cycling on 2-lane country highways with no shoulders (as many here already know). And lookie! I am still here wasting everybodie's breathing air!
I can't get anywhere without riding on 2 lane country roads. Most have shoulders, but not necessarily clean shoulders. But, not all of them.

I am a bit perturbed by the state/county that just repaved a section of road near Mom's house for the first time in at least 40 years, and didn't bother to widen the shoulders on moderately busy road.
Old 07-03-18, 03:05 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I wonder why the negligent homicide charges. I don't think I have seen that in LA in recent years. Just a few months ago some idiot was texting and driving when she killed a cyclist. No charges at all.
I have to wonder if it depends on who was killed, not how they were killed.

So, if it had been an ordinary citizen, perhaps low income, they might not have thought twice about it.
Old 07-03-18, 03:20 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I have to wonder if it depends on who was killed, not how they were killed.

So, if it had been an ordinary citizen, perhaps low income, they might not have thought twice about it.
My thoughts exactly
Old 07-03-18, 05:19 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

That was my thinking Clifford. The victim's status probably had a lot to do with it.
Old 07-03-18, 06:15 PM
CliffordK

Why am I not surprised?

Now, a couple of things that are unique about this. A "high profile" person was killed, and he presumably wasn't doing anything contributory to the accident.

Other accidents may have a cyclist riding salmon, running stops, swerving, etc. But, if Councilman Buddy Amoroso was riding in a straight line, and "visible", then it would be hard to do anything but blame the driver. Road condition? Position?

Nonetheless, 700 to 800 cyclists are killed on the streets a year. Singling out a couple of drivers for homicide charges, and letting the rest slide is an odd way of doing law enforcement.

Perhaps we need to look at different ways of doing law enforcement. For example, in our current "insurance" based society, fine the person $100,000, and they pay nothing, lose nothing.
Old 07-03-18, 06:27 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
It's too bad that the 30,000 motorist deaths including their passengers are never a concern when talking about statistics. It's as if bad driving was an acceptable norm. It's what you get into when to drive.

As for status, this year some big collisions grabbed national headlines in Canada: 1) a hockey team in Saskatchewan lost 14 members on their way to a game; 2) singer-songwriter Burton Cummings suffered a concussion and injuries. We mourned for the hockey team and we were thankful of Cumming's recovery. But nobody spoke anything about the bad drivers that caused these collisions.
Old 07-04-18, 01:50 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I take issue with your word thrive. Disgusted would be a better word.
Old 07-05-18, 08:33 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Sad, but I don't see where this is a hit and run, nor do I think there is an implicit racial element to it. What police and prosecutors did in jurisdictions elsewhere really has no bearing on how police and prosecutors handle this.
Old 07-05-18, 10:27 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Sad, but I don't see where this is a hit and run, nor do I think there is an implicit racial element to it. What police and prosecutors did in jurisdictions elsewhere really has no bearing on how police and prosecutors handle this.
Agree, not a hit and run. Do not agree that there is no implicit racial element. Maybe if you can find us a similar accident where a driver of color kills a white cyclist and is not charged at all or is held briefly and released after satisfying trivial traffic infraction offenses. In my short time here I have read (and been outraged) by numerous accounts of white drivers killing white cyclists and receiving scant financial penalty and no loss of liberty even after pleading guilty to distracted driving. If you can find even one of the 815 cyclist deaths last year where the driver was a person of color and escaped with the usual slap on the wrist that nauseate us all, then you can keep your credibility about this being a color blind example of justice in action. Is the drivers side of the story even known? Or is that not relevant if the driver is a person of color?
Old 07-06-18, 06:59 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Agree, not a hit and run. Do not agree that there is no implicit racial element. Maybe if you can find us a similar accident where a driver of color kills a white cyclist and is not charged at all or is held briefly and released after satisfying trivial traffic infraction offenses. In my short time here I have read (and been outraged) by numerous accounts of white drivers killing white cyclists and receiving scant financial penalty and no loss of liberty even after pleading guilty to distracted driving. If you can find even one of the 815 cyclist deaths last year where the driver was a person of color and escaped with the usual slap on the wrist that nauseate us all, then you can keep your credibility about this being a color blind example of justice in action. Is the drivers side of the story even known? Or is that not relevant if the driver is a person of color?
We still don't have all the details. Did the driver admit to being distracted? Calling it racial without all the details is a fool's errand for the intellectually incurious. We probably don't have too many bicyclists of that status killed in THAT enforcement jurisdiction to make any comparisons in the way they were handled.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 07-06-18 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-06-18, 07:17 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
If you can find even one of the 815 cyclist deaths last year where the driver was a person of color and escaped with the usual slap on the wrist that nauseate us all, then you can keep your credibility about this being a color blind example of justice in action. Is the drivers side of the story even known? Or is that not relevant if the driver is a person of color?
Can you find me one with these cops in this jurisdiction where a white driver was let go after hitting a black cyclist? That is a far more apt comparison, than what prosecutors in a different state with different laws and a different situation did. I can find you plenty of cases where white drivers were held on charges appropriate for MICHIGAN law, but you are likely going to say they don't count because Michigan law only defines vehicular homicide as a one year felony if there is no impairment or hit and run.

And, to be brutally honest, the number of stories I see about black cyclists killed by white drivers is nearly zero, certainly not with any sort of sample size to draw any significant conclusions.
Old 07-06-18, 12:03 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
The Ghost of Scootertrash Past
I just turned 60. Every time I throw my leg over a top-tube to ride near auto traffic I think to myself: "This could be my last few minutes on Earth". So if I ever get hozed, it's not premature - it's right on time. I make my choices and live or die by them without second guessing. However, I am totally done with cycling on 2-lane country highways with no shoulders (as many here already know). And lookie! I am still here wasting everybodie's breathing air!

The last thing most cyclists think when they clip in is - this might be my last ride. It's the FIRST thing I think of. Nobody is making me take any risk. It's all on me.
"Today is a good day to die" has been expressed by different cultures, and this guy explains it well. I met the author once at an annual BMW motorcycle rally, and he mentioned how this concept was understood by motorcyclists.
Old 07-08-18, 03:39 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts

Actually, I've been thinking that way more often now.

However, it would really make a big improvement on the road if motorists have this on their minds not as a fatalistic suicidal endeavor, but as something to avoid everytime they behind the wheel.
Old 07-08-18, 03:57 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
I would hope that all you fascinated with the extreme risks you take getting on a bicycle will throw out your ladders today. Your risk of death from a fall is 600 times that of your risk of death from a bicycle.

Get some perspective, fellas. Eating Mexican lettuce is a risky activity. Cycling is not.
Old 07-09-18, 06:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I would hope that all you fascinated with the extreme risks you take getting on a bicycle will throw out your ladders today. Your risk of death from a fall is 600 times that of your risk of death from a bicycle.

Get some perspective, fellas. Eating Mexican lettuce is a risky activity. Cycling is not.
+1 on your points
Old 07-09-18, 10:40 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Kontact
Pass the salad please...

Last edited by JoeyBike; 07-09-18 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-09-18, 10:42 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by no motor?
"Today is a good day to die" has been expressed by different cultures, and this guy explains it well. I met the author once at an annual BMW motorcycle rally, and he mentioned how this concept was understood by motorcyclists. The Ghost of Scootertrash Past
Entertaining read. I gave up motorcycles in 1988. 15 years of fun then cashed in my chips on that gamble as well.
Old 07-09-18, 10:59 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Actually, I've been thinking that way more often now...
Yep. Same goes for everything. When I cycle around motor vehicles I accept the risk and do not hold anyone else responsible. Until I run out of nerves. Then I go find a new pastime.

If you swim (or bike) where you KNOW there are sharks (drunk, distracted people), then don't cry like a baby when you get bitten. Take the risk and accept the consequences or stop taking the risk. It's pretty easy. Who cares if the driver goes to jail for life when your back is broken?

Last edited by JoeyBike; 07-09-18 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-09-18, 11:04 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
And? People get killed at water parks, too. No activity is 100% safe. This just comes off as paranoia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.