Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

George Bush the elder's cardiologist shot in a bike on bike drive by shooting

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

George Bush the elder's cardiologist shot in a bike on bike drive by shooting

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 07:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
What a murdering thug.
Old 07-24-18, 07:59 AM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Some more screen shots from a youtube video: (he doesn't look very tall?)

from here:

These are from a security camera from a house. Interesting thing : the backpack does not look as fully loaded here as in the footage from the bus. Depending on which were captured first, it could mean something.....

Last edited by vol; 07-24-18 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-24-18, 10:05 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
If any of you with a bike camera was riding around there at that time, you could have contributed to the case.
Originally Posted by vol
That backpack looks very peculiar.
Originally Posted by vol
I wonder if that backpack was loaded with explosives in the event of things going awry.
Originally Posted by vol
These are from a security camera from a house. Interesting thing : the backpack does not look as fully loaded here as in the footage from the bus. Depending on which were captured first, it could mean something.....
Could mean you watch a lot of TV crime shows. This crime unfortunately was quite real, and over-the-top speculation, guesswork and/or wishful thinking about ever present would-be McGruff Dogs on bikes with all seeing/recording surveillance high resolution spy cameras isn't going to help, let alone solve anything.
Old 07-24-18, 10:58 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Déjà vu-ish.

FWIW, evidence from *cameras* was fundamental to the investigation into the Boston Marathon Bombing.

But the wild speculation then didn't help at all, in fact it deeply hurt.

-mr. bill
Old 07-24-18, 10:59 AM
bikeyboy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I commented about the bike because, it looks like an older cheap drop department store drop bar that has been setup to be a commuter. The Texas Medical Center is very bicycle commuter oriented. People who work there and who use the bike racks are known to use cheap bikes because of how rampant bike theft is in the area. The suspect looks too big for the bicycle. My money is on the idea that the bike belongs to someone related to suspect. I would be canvasing the area bike racks looking for that bike. My inlaws live about a half a mile from where this happened, I have cycled and run through that intersection probably a hundred times.
Old 07-24-18, 12:04 PM
vol

It's said that "the shooting happened in front of a hotel at 6600 Main Street". One would think the hotel should have multiple cameras in its front.
Old 07-24-18, 04:15 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
You know the city took down all the traffic cameras a few years ago. It might have help to identify this perb.
Old 07-24-18, 04:36 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'd like to throw a broom stick into that (alleged) perp's spokes, if I'm allowed to say that here. And I didn't even like Bush that much.
Old 07-24-18, 05:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Déjà vu-ish.

FWIW, evidence from *cameras* was fundamental to the investigation into the Boston Marathon Bombing.

But the wild speculation then didn't help at all, in fact it deeply hurt.

-mr. bill
Were any of the helpful *cameras* mounted on a bicycle or bicycle helmet?
Old 07-24-18, 05:55 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
If they ever catch him he'll plead stand your ground and get away with it. It's Texas.
Old 07-25-18, 11:44 AM
vol

@1:03-1:06 in the following video you can see the suspect riding his bike in motion.

P.S. Dr. was shot 3 times. "According to the medical examiner, the doctor was shot in the head, torso and left upper extremity.

Last edited by vol; 07-25-18 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 11:56 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by vol
@1:03-1:06 in the following video you can see the killer riding his bike in motion.
Well, now we can rule out someone riding a stationary bike.

(@1:03-1:06 in the video you see a person riding their bike. Kudos to the KPRC cameraman for the artistic composition focused on the tree trunk. Hopefully "sleuths" will attempt to identify the tree.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-25-18 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 12:12 PM
vol

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Well, now we can rule out someone riding a stationary bike.

(@1:03-1:06 in the video you see a person riding their bike. Kudos to the KPRC cameraman for the artistic composition focused on the tree trunk. Hopefully "sleuths" will attempt to identify the tree.)

-mr. bill
Corrected "killer" to "suspect". Gee.
Am sure some lurker here was as interested in seeing the suspect in motion as I was.
Old 07-25-18, 12:17 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by vol
Corrected "killer" to "suspect". Gee.
Am sure some lurker here was as interested in seeing the suspect in motion as I was.
No. That is not a video of the suspect. It's a video of someone on a bicycle. NOTHING in the news report suggests that's a video of the suspect.

(The term of art is "B-roll".)

-mr. bill
Old 07-25-18, 03:32 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
This looks like a professional hit.
Old 07-25-18, 04:04 PM
vol

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
This looks like a professional hit.
Agree. From the reports, the suspect rode past the doctor, continued for about 2 more blocks, then turned around and fired 3 shots at him,
Old 07-25-18, 05:31 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Recommend that this cesspool of obtuse speculating about a criminal case be deleted or at least sent to Trollheim.
Old 07-29-18, 07:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Seconded.
Old 07-29-18, 09:39 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18352 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Recommend that this cesspool of obtuse speculating about a criminal case be deleted or at least sent to Trollheim.
This is more P&R than A&S.

Nonetheless, much of the speculation that this may be a "hit" are dead on with what the current news reports are saying.

Even questions about the blue color on the bike and tires seem to be artifacts in the early photos which isn't seen on the later photos.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...a-13107297.php

George H.W. Bush's former doctor possibly murdered by trained ki - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Apparently a well planned escape route onto a blocked off road, allowing a bicycle to escape without being chased by a car, and onto residential streets where he would just be ignored.

There would be virtually no forensic evidence left at the scene other than the videos.

How much could one fake their appearance? Height, weight, face, skin color, etc?

I bet the backpack is full of a change of clothes. Perhaps two changes of clothes, and the guy had planned to do a quick stop in a secluded park or unimproved lot somewhere, and change clothes. Then head off to a waiting car, and another change of clothes, bike goes into trunk, then off down the road to somewhere else to chop any identifying information off the bike and dispose of it.

Hiding in plain sight.
Old 07-30-18, 02:00 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I do find it rather astounding that there are some here that refuse to discuss this crime.

Its as if they would rather sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened.

The million dollar question seems to be (and nobody wants to ask) motive.

Definitely not an amateur criminal, it was well planned, the shooting itself was done execution style, ask anyone who has had this training.
Old 07-30-18, 02:56 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by SHBR
The million dollar question seems to be (and nobody wants to ask) motive.
Most of us are stuck going through news reports. And a "motive" would likely be a closely kept secret during the investigation. No sense in letting the public wrongly accuse an individual without first having a mountain of evidence.

No doubt the police are carefully combing through the Doctor's life for a motive...

Everybody seems to think of him as the "Good Doctor". Except at least one person. But, people don't always share their true feelings after a death either. Don't speak ill of the dead.

Family, wife, surgical mistakes, family members of deceased patients, lawsuits, disgruntled coworkers, abuse of wealth and power, etc... lots of possibilities... we'll just have to wait to see which one pops up to the top of the list. Or, perhaps none of the above.
Old 07-30-18, 03:41 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
No doubt the police are carefully combing through the Doctor's life for a motive...
How do we know?

Seriously, this crime raises more questions than anything else.

It could be that it wasn't personal, just a job that someone was hired to do.

It was intended to be a public crime, so there is that, no way this would go unnoticed.

It would also appear the media chose to run with this story, (if it bleeds it leads) with the intent of flushing out the suspect.

If the motive is a secret, why all the press attention?
Old 07-30-18, 04:17 AM
CliffordK

How do we know?

Seriously, this crime raises more questions than anything else.

It could be that it wasn't personal, just a job that someone was hired to do.

It was intended to be a public crime, so there is that, no way this would go unnoticed.

It would also appear the media chose to run with this story, (if it bleeds it leads) with the intent of flushing out the suspect.

If the motive is a secret, why all the press attention?
One of the problems, of course, with our US News is that something may capture the attention of the country for a couple of days, then is forgotten with far too little followup. Did they really build a bridge at FIU?

I don't know about national coverage, but this murder catches the attention of bike forums due to both the victim and perpetrator riding bicycles.

It is a good question, however. There are about 17,000 murders a year in the USA, or about 46 murders a day. As many as 1/3 of them go unresolved. The murders would include domestics, robberies, shaken babies, gangs, etc. One can get an overdose on bad news.

This one likely captures national attention due to the brazen nature being done in broad daylight on a busy street. Initially almost seeming random, other details might indicate a premeditated attack.

It almost seems more to fit in a fictional TV drama show than on a busy Houston street.

Likely personal for someone.
Old 07-30-18, 06:39 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
"Dear News Media,

Please, no more stories about 'How the Shooter Did It, The Mistakes He Made, And Suggestions How Someone Else Can Do An Even Better Job Next Time'.

Signed,

-A Concerned Citizen Who Wonders Whose Side You're On."

Reminds me of after 9-11, all the endless stories giving terrorists ideas on the next attack. "They could easily poison the food being grown on farms. Or poison water reservoirs, or make anthrax-laced baby powder ad smuggle it onto an airplane on a Tuesday, since that's when airport security is the weakest . . ." And on and on..

Police, please catch this guy.
Old 07-30-18, 07:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
How do we know?
Because when you have a killing like this that is one logical investigative path to follow. Several atypical murders in my neck of the woods (e.g., killing of a prominent Rabbi's wife) have been solved by digging into the pasts of the victim and those closets to him/her. When a killing raises many questions you follow every avenue to answer them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.