Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Police Officer Distracted By Phone Hits Cyclist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Police Officer Distracted By Phone Hits Cyclist

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 09:02 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
[T]he cyclist himself doesn't have much ground to stand on either.
From his shadow he appears to be standing on the ground.

-mr. bill
Old 08-02-18, 01:57 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
At least the officer manned up and took full responsibility.
How comforting.
Old 10-14-18, 11:42 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Had he stopped back there I bet he'd still have gotten run into.
And you would be correct.

If you do a careful frame-by-frame as the officer approaches me, the moment before impact his tires are pointed directly at the center of the stop line. If you keep advancing the frames until I'm spun around 180 degrees, the officer has just begun to straighten his wheels, which are STILL pointed at the stop line.
Old 10-14-18, 12:03 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Assuming the accuracy of the location picture posted by wphamilton and the absence of any sight obstructions to see what was coming, why would the cyclist have to move forward at THIS intersection to ensure the road was clear? Below are Google views from behind the stop sign to the left and right. Perhaps a forest grew since the Google photos were taken
There has been quite a bit of foliage growth and poles installed since those images were taken five years ago.
Old 10-14-18, 12:06 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Missouri where this occurred is a comparative negligence state, and illegal positioning in the intersection would be a "tough sell" for the cyclist. Not that I'm looking at civil defenses either way. The point is that if the cyclist had stopped where he was supposed to have, he would have been at less risk from an inattentive driver who is cutting the corner. Badmouth the cop all you want, and I won't argue, but I wouldn't be doing it were I the cyclist and had contributed to it that way.
Except if you actually analyze the physics involved, he still would've hit me had I been back at the line where the visibility is basically nothing. Do a frame-by-frame as the officer approaches me and note his wheel angles before and after hitting me. In both instances he was still pointed at the stop line.
Old 10-14-18, 12:15 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Well, the bike is a first gen Scott Foil Premium.

As far as damage on the bike, I'm sure someone will offer their opinion on the condition of the bicycle. Inspection by internut always ends well.

-mr. bill
It was a 2012 Scott Foil 15. I had the bike checked out at a local shop where we spotted carbon damage on the fork, seatpost, and rims. For the frame I took it to Smithers Customs where Steve Smithers spotted a compression fracture in the headtube. If anyone is skeptical of Steve's expertise, his business deals in making custom carbon fiber motorcycle parts and bicycle carbon repair. He and Dan Kellerby own the patent for filament spun carbon which is used in their own brand of wheels (FSE). Steve also designed the Canyon Aeroad frame.
Old 10-14-18, 12:18 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
That was not taken from the stop line either. It was taken from well beyond the stop line. The elevation appears to be several feet higher there. I am not arguing that his line of sight WAS impeded at the stop line, only that it could have been.
It certainly was impeded at the line. Once I'm past 10 posts and can upload photos and URLs I'll show you folks a screenshot taken off my helmet cam footage.
Old 10-14-18, 06:01 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
It certainly was impeded at the line. Once I'm past 10 posts and can upload photos and URLs I'll show you folks a screenshot taken off my helmet cam footage.
Welcome to the forum. I am interested in seeing the photo.
Old 10-14-18, 07:20 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The video indirectly reminded me, of when I was rear-ended several years ago. While I was waiting to merge into traffic.
Old 10-15-18, 08:25 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Except if you actually analyze the physics involved, he still would've hit me had I been back at the line where the visibility is basically nothing. Do a frame-by-frame as the officer approaches me and note his wheel angles before and after hitting me. In both instances he was still pointed at the stop line.
Maybe, but most likely not. I can't say that any driver would definitely NOT hit you, or anything else, because there is no 100% predicting what a driver will do.

However, my judgement DID arise from a frame by frame examination of the video. It's not Physics, unless you're saying that from his initial path it would be impossible to avoid you. But I don't think that you are saying that, because it clearly wouldn't be true. With the bike further back, at the legitimate stop line, not only is the angle wider for him to avoid you but he has multiples of the time to see and avoid you. I am very confident that he would have - after all, that's exactly why the stop line is back there.
Old 10-15-18, 09:54 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Maybe, but most likely not. I can't say that any driver would definitely NOT hit you, or anything else, because there is no 100% predicting what a driver will do.

However, my judgement DID arise from a frame by frame examination of the video. It's not Physics, unless you're saying that from his initial path it would be impossible to avoid you. But I don't think that you are saying that, because it clearly wouldn't be true. With the bike further back, at the legitimate stop line, not only is the angle wider for him to avoid you but he has multiples of the time to see and avoid you. I am very confident that he would have - after all, that's exactly why the stop line is back there.
Yeah, except he wasn't paying attention... being distracted by the phone and all.

And no one is required to stay at a stop line... after they have stopped.

But yeah, we can armchair quarterback this all day long.
Old 10-15-18, 11:29 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by genec
Yeah, except he wasn't paying attention... being distracted by the phone and all.

And no one is required to stay at a stop line... after they have stopped.

But yeah, we can armchair quarterback this all day long.
It's not "armchairing" to point out the fact. If you are beyond the stop line, and stopped, then you are in violation. More to the point, you are in a position making you more vulnerable, more likely to be struck, than you'd be in had you stopped legally at the stop line. These are the facts. Not speculation, not what-iffing, but the facts.

As far as the cop not paying attention goes, it's better to be further outside his path and allowing him more time to look up, so your objection is mute.
Old 10-15-18, 11:32 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by genec
I'm shorter than you. And actually, that is NOT the view from the stop line... but the view one sees when they pull up, to gain a better view.
As you can see, there is NO obstruction due to weeds. Don't be moving the goal post there.

Last edited by wphamilton; 10-16-18 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-15-18, 02:51 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
4 pages of this and apparently you naysayers missed this in the OP link...
The local police officer assumed responsibility for the accident instantly, admitting that he was checking his phone instead of looking where he was going.
The cop also called another cop to report himself...

So "armchair" this all you want, the cop admitted fault, AND gave, as a reason, "distraction by phone."
Old 10-15-18, 03:02 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Article is perfect for A&S since it conflates holding a cell phone near the ear with texting as one and the same "distraction" safety issue. A&S posters may feel free to further conflate any/every other collision as probably the result of "texting."
Old 10-15-18, 03:23 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Wrong, That is exactly at the stop line, as carefully as I could stop it there. As you can see, there is NO obstruction due to weeds.
Just wondering if you realize you are not only arguing with just about EVERYONE, but with Joe too?

This is exactly the view from the stop line, as carefully as I could stop it there.

As you can see that is NOT the view that you posted. Joe had STOPPED and was standing on the ground in the picture you posted.

It’s possible that you are confusing the still that you posted from the video with the google streetview capture you also posted. If so, Joe, are you over eight feet tall?

-mr. bill
Old 10-15-18, 05:39 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Wrong, That is exactly at the stop line, as carefully as I could stop it there. As you can see, there is NO obstruction due to weeds.
The weeds weren't as much of a problem as the rather full trees to the south. Plus, the view you see is from on top of my helmet, which offers greater visibility than at eye level. Measured from the bottom lip of my helmet to the center of the camera lens it's a whopping 8.5". Of course, my eyes aren't right at the bottom lip of my helmet, so we can comfortably 0.5-1" from there. That makes a noticeable difference in visibility.
Old 10-15-18, 05:55 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

It's not "armchairing" to point out the fact. If you are beyond the stop line, and stopped, then you are in violation. More to the point, you are in a position making you more vulnerable, more likely to be struck, than you'd be in had you stopped legally at the stop line. These are the facts. Not speculation, not what-iffing, but the facts.

As far as the cop not paying attention goes, it's better to be further outside his path and allowing him more time to look up, so your objection is mute.
1. You can legally pull past the line if you need the visibility, which I did.
2. Being further back would have been worse because the officer would have had more room to increase speed. You're also assuming he would have looked up, which is asinine. If he didn't have the sense to look where he was going in the first place, what makes you think an additional 19 feet would've changed that?
Old 10-15-18, 06:11 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
2. Being further back would have been worse because the officer would have had more room to increase speed. You're also assuming he would have looked up, which is asinine. If he didn't have the sense to look where he was going in the first place, what makes you think an additional 19 feet would've changed that?
You are new to this forum. Some people have such a burning need to be right that they can't have a reasoned discussion. You'll find your efforts to get them to so much as thoughtfully entertain an opposing idea are in vain. I am anxious to see the photo.
Old 10-15-18, 08:04 PM
wphamilton

I've been careful in this thread to say I have no intention to defend the cop, and you can say whatever you want about him. But it's ludicrous to say that being further out of his way, out of that particular line that he took in fact, would be just as dangerous because you assume that he would never look up at any time. You haven't done yourself any favors with your public quotes, when you were illegally positioned, in the most dangerous area possible without being actually in the cross-traffic.
Old 10-15-18, 10:02 PM
cold turtle
neo-poster

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2018 Specialized Tarmac SL6 Pro; Cannondale Slice RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If only we all had wphamilton's ability to see through trees with xray vision, we would be much safer on our bikes.
Old 10-16-18, 07:57 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by cold turtle
If only we all had wphamilton's ability to see through trees with xray vision, we would be much safer on our bikes.
You can see through the imaginary trees as well!

Old 10-16-18, 08:06 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by mr_bill

Just wondering if you realize you are not only arguing with just about EVERYONE, but with Joe too?

This is exactly the view from the stop line, as carefully as I could stop it there.

As you can see that is NOT the view that you posted. Joe had STOPPED and was standing on the ground in the picture you posted.

It’s possible that you are confusing the still that you posted from the video with the google streetview capture you also posted. If so, Joe, are you over eight feet tall?

-mr. bill
I'm not arguing with the contributors I have in my ignore list. JoeyBike can speak for himself if he wants to argue with me.
Old 10-16-18, 09:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
If he didn't have the sense to look where he was going in the first place, what makes you think an additional 19 feet would've changed that?
At the speeds involved, even if Joe Fas had been at the stop line, if the officer had looked up at the point where the impact had actually occurred (we know he didn't lookup Prior to that, right?) then he wouldn't have had time to avoid the collision anyway.

Only one us us was there .... so we will never get an objective view. And we always look for ways that the rider could have acted differently---I think in part to preserve the illusion within each of our minds, "That wouldn't have happened to me." Fact is ... . cycling is a Really high-risk endeavor. Drivers only have to mess up for a fraction of a second to kill a cyclist. We all know this.

Anyone who has been rear-ended while at a dead stop in a perfectly legitimate situation---say, stopped at a light or in a line of stopped traffic---knows that sometimes drivers just drive right into you for no reason. We are All 100 percent vulnerable All the time. We have no protection and no defense. We play the odds every time we ride on the road.

This is even richer: we depend on all those distracted, frustrated, annoyed, selfish, ignorant motorists to protect our safety. No matter how hard we try or how carefully we ride, we still need them to act right or we are toast.

What happened here---it seems (none of us know (including the victim, who only has his own version of events---though it is better informed with real information than those of the rest of us)) is that we have a Driver Behaving Badly---the worst thing a cyclist can face.

There is literally nowhere on the road where a cyclist can be safe from such a driver.Drivers will cross lanes, drive head-on into oncoming traffic, drive off the near side of the road, drive across four lanes and off the far side of the road ..... there is Zero safe place to be if a driver is behaving badly. If you doubt that, Google "car hits house."

Whether we choose to admit it or not, whenever we ride with cars, we expect---we depend on---those drivers to operate in a fairly safe, predictable, law-abiding manner.

We can never tell when a driver will not do so---so no amount of preparation can make us safe.

I have had So many traffic encounters, i feel I have been beaten into learning how to be safe in traffic ... but I still have to admit, if the driver doesn't cooperate, there is nothing I can do.

And I think, if we can be honest with ourselves ....

You know, I would have pulled up to that intersection and Not stopped at the stop line ... I would have rolled very slowly forward until I had an absolutely clear view down both sides of the rad, farther than a car could travel in the time it would take me to turn. The "stop line" (or "stop bar") is an arbitrary marking for traffic control---not for cycling safety. (We had a similar debate when a driver blocked a sidewalk to make sure he could see oncoming traffic to pull out. It is the Only smart thing to do---if a driver or cyclist cannot see what's coming it is never safe to pull out.)

(And by the way, the Actual Victim here says he could not see. So anyone holding to a different point of view, who has not stood at that intersection within a few days of this incident occurring, is Full of Stuff. We have five-year-old Google maps ... and we have the person whose actual safety depended on being able to see. Anyone who wants to cross intersections based on five-year-old data, go for it. How many times until you get hit, by Currently traveling cars which aren't on the Google Map view, eh?)

I would have seen the approaching cop car and figured he was at least as aware as most drivers ... and would not have registered him as much of a threat as he was apparently staying safely within his lane. I would Not have predicted that he would suddenly make a highly illegal turn into the wrong lane for no necessary reason.

None of us would. Even the people who say they would not have passed the stop line before turning, would not have expected the cop to turn into the oncoming traffic lane---it they did, they wouldn't have stayed in the lane, they would have ridden off the road into the brush---and NO ONE has said they would have done that.

So basically, all of us would have been in the target area, and all of us would have expected the car to stay in its lane. People who don't want to admit that .... who cares what they think? Honest people are the only people worth having in a discussion anyway.

Basically None of us, even the most self-assured and self-righteous, would have predicted that the cop was about to turn into the wrong lane. All of us would have been in the line of fire.

The fact that the officer immediately admitted that he was totally at fault Should say a lot. Again, none of us can predict, or would have predicted in this case, when a driver is about tot totally contravene all the laws of legal and safe driving and aim right at a cyclist. When it happens, cyclists are defenseless. In this case the officer basically, though unintentionally, drove right into the cyclist without warning. It happens.

I think maybe some folks just like to argue, and some are unwilling (too afraid?) to admit that there are situations in which no rider could be safe. Whatever. I am not here to join the debate---so far, it has started nearly reasonably and gotten more silly with each few posts. I have been in enough of these cesspools not to need to swim in this one. I am just going to say my piece. People who realize whatever truth is in ti will acknowledge that--maybe only internally, and in great inner turmoil, but still .... others will continue to claim, "It could never happen to me!" That's cool. Hope it never does.

I was slammed from the rear while stopped in traffic once---in a car, thankfully. Another car hit me at probably 50-55 mph, unabated, while I sat in a long line of stopped cars. There was nothing I could have done to avoid the collision except not be on the road that day. And even there ... some people were trying to say "Well, if you had done this differently ... "

Sorry folks. Sometimes we just get hammered. Sometimes there is no way to avoid it. if that is too scary to admit, continue denying it ... I don't care.

Glad you weren't really hurt, Mr. Fas.

Post Script---to all the "He shouldn't have been there--I wouldn't have" folks. ..... I have had a chain snap while crossing an intersection. I was suddenly in the lane, without motive power. If JW Fas had dropped a chain, or had some other mechanical failure which required him to stop ----IN HIS OWN LANE---at what point would it be legal for any driver to hit him?

If you guessed "None," you win.

Even cars in the proper lane of travel are not allowed to drive into stopped vehicles---and are required by law to operate in such a fashion that they can avoid a collision with a stopped vehicle. Mr. Fas could Legally have been right in the middle of the road, and so long as he was in his own lane, there are Zero situations in which it would be okay for the cop to hit him ... and barely any Even If he had stopped directly in the cop's lane of travel.

So .... basically, the cop went out of his way to hit a cyclist who did nothing in any way wrong. And even the cop, who has everything to lose in this situation, was willing to admit that.

Some folks here could learn from that cop.

Last edited by Maelochs; 10-16-18 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-16-18, 10:20 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

I'm not arguing with the contributors I have in my ignore list. JoeyBike can speak for himself if he wants to argue with me.
I'm tearing up. You haven't blocked me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.