Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Workin on a Velocar

Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Workin on a Velocar

Old 05-23-14, 12:21 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Back when I was in college, I saw one of the then-newfangled velocars on campus. It was going about 10 mph.
There are several drawbacks. Weight and wind resistance being the major ones. If you fully enclose it, you have a sweatbox, if you leave it open, you don't really gain much over a bicycle.
Rhoades (or maybe Rhodes, not sure of the spelling) makes a 4-wheel car bike, which seems overpriced and clunky.

The higher-end Velocars like the yellow one pictured are a different matter. There, you're hopefully gaining in the aerodynamics department, so hopefully, you can make up some of what you lose in the weight side of things. Whether it all works out like that is a different matter.
It makes sense with an electric assist motor to help you get over steep hills. On the flats I imagine it wouldn't be any harder to peddle than a conventional bike.
Old 05-23-14, 06:45 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Wind resistance on a pedal car (or any car) is almost certainly always massively lower than on a bike. Cyclists are the least aerodynamic thing on the road, it's much more of a problem than weight.

Velomobiles like that yellow one are known to do 50+ miles an hour. Not special ones, no land speed record modifications.
Old 05-30-14, 01:47 PM
delcrossv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
It makes sense with an electric assist motor to help you get over steep hills. On the flats I imagine it wouldn't be any harder to peddle than a conventional bike.
Quests (the yellow one) can be ordered with e-assist.
Old 06-12-14, 03:55 AM
Aqib600
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good work, Keep it continue.
Old 07-24-14, 09:46 PM
registrar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to get one of these with Lambo shell ! LOL
Old 09-15-14, 02:35 PM
Maelstril

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure where you are located, but you may run into an issue with your local laws. I know here in virginia anything with more than 3 wheels(non stability) isnt considered a bike, you may have to register it. Otherwise that looks bad ass, enjoy it.
Old 09-15-14, 04:07 PM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
i like it. i've seen two rhodes cars here recently, but they're pretty far out of my crazy bike money range. i'm not sure if i could make one myself.
Old 09-21-14, 12:31 PM
John Hood

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelstril
Not sure where you are located, but you may run into an issue with your local laws. I know here in virginia anything with more than 3 wheels(non stability) isnt considered a bike, you may have to register it. Otherwise that looks bad ass, enjoy it.
Just because it's not legally a bike though doesn't mean it can't be used on the roads. There are lots of vehicles like buggies, power chairs, skateboards and the like that are still allowed on the roads.
Old 12-15-16, 11:46 PM
NPC Brown Cow

Bikes: '88 Huffy proto-mountainbike; '82 Schwinn Town and Country Trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Hood
Just because it's not legally a bike though doesn't mean it can't be used on the roads. There are lots of vehicles like buggies, power chairs, skateboards and the like that are still allowed on the roads.
Actually that is what it means. If it doesn't conform to your states definition* of a bike or e-bike then it is not "street legal". Now whether your local law enforcement decides to do anything about it is an entirely different matter. Locally we have 4 wheeler/ATVs running on blacktop all the time, which is expressly illegal, but the police generally ignore it unless the rider is otherwise being reckless and/or stupid.

* or some definition that is in the local legal code. My state is really screwed up. A bicycle is expressly defined as having two wheels in tandem at least one of which must be larger then 20". So a delta/tadpole trike, a velomobile like the one up thread or most folding bikes with their often small wheels are not bicycles in my state. Strap a motor to it though and it becomes a moped, making it completely legal. As mopeds are defined as having 2 or 3 wheels with no size specifications. >shrug< Quadracycles are right out though as they fit none of the current definitions. I hear that Ohio changed their definition to include them this year or last (they removed the reference to number of wheels from the definition).

Last edited by NPC Brown Cow; 11-01-17 at 10:49 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-05-17, 06:32 PM
chunkymonkeybik

Bikes: rockhopper w/26x2.5 rear

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
If you put a motor into one, you might have to licence it.
Old 04-07-17, 07:28 PM
bugdust

Bikes: MASA Slingshot (x3), Miami Sun trikes, Trailmate Desoto Classic trikes, Schwinn Town & Country trikes, Schwinn Meridian trikes, ReBike, Solar cruiser, 1975 Schwinn Collegiate, 1979 Columbia trike...misc othersmore

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old thread but cool. Good job!!
Old 05-23-17, 04:45 AM
mizuko
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool welocars, i want them
Old 10-25-17, 07:40 AM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Oh, if you have some time to kill, peruse this very interesting collection. If I remember right a FEW are pedal-power, most are not- but the micro-car idea has been explored extensively, just never with much success. Small pedalpower, a bike seems by far the most popular option, small gas-power, a motorcycle or scooter is the most popular option.
Virtual Tour of the Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum
Thanks for the link. Very cool. It looks like you can't actually tour the Museum these days. Great stuff still.
Old 10-26-17, 03:25 PM
oliviathesis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a cool project, goo luck with it