Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

I need help identifying a bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-23, 04:51 AM
Galdor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I need help identifying a bike

Hello everyone, greetings from Spain.

A few years ago my brother found an old bike in the street and took it home. Years passed, and one boring summer he decided to paint it and fix it, as you can see he only painted it and never touched it for 2 years. A few days ago I decided to order the storage and found the bike, looks good and i would like to use it, I dont really know much about bikes, but I guess I can buy a few things and roll it, but I was curious so I searched Philippe and found that there are old bikes, like french competition bikes from a few decades ago with that piece, so maybe is a good idea trying to find what bike is this and restoring to look like an original.

This are the photos, hoping anyone can help me, thank you so much!

Old 05-02-23, 07:12 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,348 Times in 2,184 Posts
-----

Hello Galdor and welcome to the forum.

cycle certainly appears indigenous to ES

frame bits such as lugs, crown and bottom bracket shell look as though they may come from FR

see nothing which suggests a specific maker; may be from one of the big names such as BH or Orbea

are you able to make out the word stamped into the fork ends? U8 COMPETICION?

date appears somewhere between the late 1960's and the mid 1970's

other readers more knowledgeable shall be along shortly to share some solid information regarding the cycle

-----
Old 05-04-23, 09:09 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26437 Post(s)
Liked 10,399 Times in 7,223 Posts
...as stated above, the name on the stem is just one of the many French companies that made and sold components, like that stem.
Spain is kind of unique, because of the long history of economic isolation that prevented the importation of French bicycles economically.

So you had a local bicycle construction industry, and even ended up with companies like Zeus, which not only made their own frames, but manufactured their own components in house. Which was unusual for the times. I honestly have no idea who made your bicycle, but here's an example of a Zeus. I am not the other reader who is more knowledgeable.

Old 05-04-23, 10:08 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,795 Times in 640 Posts
Interesting that it looks to have a a somewhat fancy BB with no markings other than serial number most BB like this had makers markings and angle numbers on them. This and the likely metric sizing would lead me to think maybe one of the lesser Spanish builders bt pretty hard to say with no distinctive features markings and a plane repaint.