Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How long do shifters last?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-20, 08:33 PM
Ev0lutionz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Just wondering, been using my Shimano 105 flat bar 10 speed shifters for 5 + years. I generally spray in GT85 after every rain ride to keep it smooth.
Old 11-28-20, 08:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0lutionz
Just wondering, been using my Shimano 105 flat bar 10 speed shifters for 5 + years. I generally spray in GT85 after every rain ride to keep it smooth.
Generally, about 6 years.

Just kidding.

Depends on how often you shift (flat vs hilly terrain), your luck, and other factors. I have about 20k+ miles on my 10sp Ultegra shifters and they are still fine; my 9sp 105 shifters are also still fine after about 35k+ miles. And I never spray anything into them.
Old 11-28-20, 09:06 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
That question can't be answered.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-29-20, 01:18 AM
Ev0lutionz

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Just a question, are the triggers fairly reliable ?
Old 11-29-20, 10:25 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Yes.
Old 11-29-20, 11:42 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I have indexed downtube shifters that are just now starting to act vague after 40 years of heavy use.

I've had multiple trigger shifters that I had to replace. Mostly lower end stuff. They are reliable but not to the same degree as a downtube shifter. In every case the trigger shifter gave me plenty of notice it was wearing out. I did rebuild one and got another year of use out of it before needing to replace it. Now I just replace them when they get old enough start to acting up.

Never understood people wanting bar end shifters because they are reliable. Yes, they are reliable, but so are trigger shifters. Pay attention to your gear and you should never get stuck in outer Mongolia with a failed shift lever. I swear there are people on Crazy Guy On a Bike who have nightmares about a failed shifter.
Old 11-29-20, 12:20 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
the ratchet piece inside Campagnolo index shifters (brifters but I hate the word) is a wear item.

A replacement wheel is included in the rebuild kit. I think I've done the rebuild once each on the two bikes I have so equipped.

I would think conventional "shifters" (downtube levers) would last essentially forever.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA
Old 11-29-20, 01:15 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Squirting in random stuff probably will only make them last half as long. Just leave them alone and service if needed. All that stuff you squirt in will just gum it up and attract dirt. If you are lucky, it does nothing.
Old 11-30-20, 07:51 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
I've got a set of 14 year old Tiagra brifters that work. The original lube gummed up a while back, but a heavy spray flush of WD-40 cleaned it out, and with some new lithium grease sprayed in, they're still going.

Campy brifters seem to require re-building every couple years.

(I'm with Sheldon -- "brifter" is a brilliant one-word generic name for the part!)
Old 12-02-20, 08:05 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
I broke my first Campagnolo Ultrashift rear lever front paddle return spring due to fatigue in 5 years over 24,000 miles which for me is about 12 shift cables. With Campagnolo abandoning Ultrashift small parts sales, I put a spare lever on although I could have bought a new shift mechanism for $80.

Conversely, I replaced G-springs every couple of years in my 1997 8 speed ergo levers upgraded to 9 in 2000 with a new index cam. I rode those 15 years until I wore out the rear lever ratchet pawl spring after the lever assembly had been discontinued. Just before that I wore out my first front paddle return spring and replaced it with one of the last two I could find in the US. Unfortunately, I have no idea how many miles I had on my shifters because I eschewed bike computers for over a decade after my purple Avocet 45 wore out.

Your mileage will vary.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 12-02-20 at 10:19 AM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 12-02-20, 08:38 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Once a cheap grip-shift failed on me. It started slipping and no longer clicked in place.

Never had any decent shifter fail. On 2 occasions I've had 15 and 20 y/o Deore triggers where the downshift paddle stopped catching when it was pressed because grease had gummed up inside. I sprayed them with degreaser and they still work fine.
Old 12-02-20, 08:50 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4198 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Mine had the internal mechanism greased from the factory so I doubt it needs periodic re-lube even after rain (rain doesn't wash away grease but oil does!)
Here in the USA we had a TV commercial years ago whose tag line was "pay me now of pay me later". The reference was about maintaining your car's oil (and need to replace the oil filter periodically). Shimano suggests periodic relubing of their indexing shifters. I suggest you do the same. This year we have solvent flushed and relubed a few dozen Shimano shifters that had their factory grease turn to gummy crud that kept the little ratchet pawls from moving freely. Andy (who likes doing this service)
Old 12-02-20, 08:59 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Here in the USA we had a TV commercial years ago whose tag line was "pay me now of pay me later". The reference was about maintaining your car's oil (and need to replace the oil filter periodically). Shimano suggests periodic relubing of their indexing shifters. I suggest you do the same. This year we have solvent flushed and relubed a few dozen Shimano shifters that had their factory grease turn to gummy crud that kept the little ratchet pawls from moving freely. Andy (who likes doing this service)
Good point, but does that apply to higher end shifters, like XT, that have sealed bearings (and possibly sealed mechanism)? I'm afraid to open them up to see what is actually exposed.

Maybe I'm wrong, but i was under the impression the higher end shifters being sealed don't need the flushing (since they wouldn't be possible to re-lube through the seals)

Andi if you flush and re-lube from the outside (without opening up), what lube do you squirt in? i assume not a grease like it is from factory.
Old 12-02-20, 09:25 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Time to use the secret Campy handshake!

I also have Campy 10 shifters and they are completely user rebuildable. I did the g-spring a few years ago and it shifted like new afterwards. This was after about 10 years of use. I'll be 75 before I need to do that again and my guess is that if I am still riding I won't be riding it very hard.
Old 12-02-20, 04:28 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
My only question is how long term is this bike. Chances are you’ll have many more years of shifting, but 10 speed road flat bar shifters are not that common. And Tiagra 4700 10 speed shifters are not compatible.

If you are going to keep this bike and really like your 105’s, you might want to keep an eye out, at least for a rear (right) shifter if one pops up.

Not trying to raise an alarm, and it could be a waste of money, of course there will probably be someone who’ll want them; just a thought.

John
Old 12-02-20, 04:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
depends how hard the impact is from the first accident.
Old 12-02-20, 07:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
That question can't be answered.
Ummmm...actually you are very wrong! It is 42 which also happens to be the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-02-20, 09:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4198 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Good point, but does that apply to higher end shifters, like XT, that have sealed bearings (and possibly sealed mechanism)? I'm afraid to open them up to see what is actually exposed.

Maybe I'm wrong, but i was under the impression the higher end shifters being sealed don't need the flushing (since they wouldn't be possible to re-lube through the seals)

Andi if you flush and re-lube from the outside (without opening up), what lube do you squirt in? i assume not a grease like it is from factory.
A few points- Sealed anything, WRT the bike business, is more a marketing tool then an actual ability to have nothing enter (or leave) the internals the seals "isolate". Sure there are close fitting plastic shields and covers. Yes, there are contact o rings, sometimes and labyrinth dust caps. But any moving part will allow some water to enter, and with it the slurry of crap. In the last couple of days I've replaced 3 bike parts that are "sealed" because of exposure/rust internally. So in the shop service world many of us feel that "sealed" only reduces the size of grime/grit that gets into that part, not prevents it. But this is a different issue then mere age.

High end shifter pods are not excused from the aging of lubricants. Yes, the Shimano factory uses a grease in many shifter pod aspects but over the years the oils dry out and the "soap" (the thickening part of greases) is left behind. Yes, after solvent cleaning reinjecting grease into the tiny gaps and layers of the pods is a challenge. One that most don't try. Instead we use a thin oil to initially get to those tiny spaces, add a medium weight oil second (BTW compressed air helps drive in the lube) and maybe smear a thicker grease over the assessable surfaces. An annual replenishment of a light/medium oil will maintain the workings very well.

This is a service that doesn't usually have to be done for a few years but sooner or later it will be needed. When one decides to service the pods is their choice. Many will just react to a problem and not act preventatively. Much like those who in their later years find the motivation to change their lifestyle of their diet after a life challenging "event". Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 12-02-20 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-03-20, 03:09 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Ummmm...actually you are very wrong! It is 42 which also happens to be the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything!
Exactly! But there is a range with varying levels of certainty and exactness.

So anywhere between 2 miles dragging on pavement and 100,000+ miles if ridden like a normal person for a bike with a limited number of gears and high repairability.
Some Sturmey Archer shifters from the 30's are still around.

Source: u/Blakeyardigan93/
Old 12-03-20, 03:15 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Be more specific. 42 what? miles? years? beers?
Old 12-03-20, 05:21 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
If you don't understand the question how can you possibly understand the answer?
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 12-03-20, 02:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
Hopefully this will help
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-03-20, 03:06 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Shimano's first ratchet-mechanism shifters, called Rapid Fire were notorious for only lasting a few seasons, especially the cheaper ones like 100GS. THey made LX and XT versions which were better but still didn't last forever. THe next generation of shifters were called Rapid Fire + (basically very similar to the current MTB shifters with a thumb lever and trigger both under the bar) and these lasted much longer. Around the same time the introduced the first STI levers ('brifters') which are almost identical to modern STI levers, except for 7 or 8 speed instead of 11 or 12. The first few generations of these weren't perfect either, but over time the reliability has increased greatly. There is no reason why a modern set of STI levers won't last for decades or regular use. THe two problems that still pop up on the modern versions are failure due to the grease in the ratchet mechanism hardening over time, especially if the bike is stored in a cold place in the winter, and cables breaking in a way that jams up the mechanism inside the shifter.

Aside from those two known issues, whenever I hear someone say their bike isn't shifting well because they "need new shifters", my immediate response is 'no you don't'. As long as the mechanism isn't gummed up and the cable is intact, Shimano shifters are extremely reliable, and shifting problems are almost always caused by something else (cable friction, der. hanger alignment, etc).

I have much less experience with SRAM and Campy shifters, but they are also, as far as I know, very very reliable for years.
Old 12-03-20, 03:10 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
I have some old 9 speed Ultegra shifters from 1999 that still work perfectly fine. Now granted, they did not get used a lot (maybe 1000 miles) per year but still, they work.
Old 12-03-20, 03:52 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 6,468 Times in 3,200 Posts
Campy down tube? Pretty much forever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.