Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

frame + fork weight / material advice?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-20, 11:42 PM
cloudsofviolet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I am looking to move beyond the world of hi-ten and get something lighter for light daily use. Just in advance, i am interested in something classic and vintage and step through (upright) for the purposes of this thread as I already have my eye on a modern bike as well, haha. I'm just curious about these bikes as there is not a lot of info about them

any who, frame and fork in question is 52 cm seat tube length and total weighs 8.26 pounds or 3.75 kilo according to seller. It is a vintage 50s peugeot frame, likely one of the tourisme leger ones pc 45 or pc 55. Actual tubing material I could not find much solid information, just "tubes extra leger", some advertised as tubes extra leger helium.

It appears some of the earlier models were rubis tubing but that had phased out by the time of the one i am looking at so possibly vitus tubing? Is that hi-ten? or likely not with the weight? any advice or info appreciated. no pics as the frame and fork has been entirely badly painted over.
Old 12-09-20, 12:49 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
You will get better answers in the Classic & Vintage forum. Step through bikes are usually not premium but there are exceptions. Vitus is a brand, not a material, but extra leger helium sounds promising! French bikes usually need French-specific parts, and pre-1970s bikes are even more interesting.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-10-20, 11:41 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
The bike builder takes into consideration the properties of the materials and uses thicknesses, diameters, etc as appropriate to achieve the goal. Most any kind of bike can be build with most any kind of material so your question is mostly misguided. Steel is intrinsically stiffer than aluminum but many aluminum frames are made with large diameter tubing making those frames stiffer than many steel frames, just as an example.

But with all of that said, steel is a pretty practical material for a frame since it can be bent, adjusted, and modified after purchase. It's also pretty durable. But generally it's heavy compared with the alternatives.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-15-20, 12:42 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
I also suggest C&V forum for broader response. Also if you put your location (or close to it) many people will come up with local suggestions. A WTB (want to buy) in classic and vintage may come up with results (need a paid membership)

I agree with noglider steel is good material, but would argue that is is not always heavy.....and remember frame and fork are only part of the total bike weight

Old 12-15-20, 02:46 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Steel bikes can be light but that is one heavy frameset.
Old 12-15-20, 03:44 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You will get better answers in the Classic & Vintage forum. Step through bikes are usually not premium but there are exceptions. Vitus is a brand, not a material, but extra leger helium sounds promising! French bikes usually need French-specific parts, and pre-1970s bikes are even more interesting.
Virus made frame tubes also