Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I'm moving to a (dormant) volcano! E-bike for hill climbs?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I'm moving to a (dormant) volcano! E-bike for hill climbs?

Old 12-13-17, 01:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
I'm super curious to hear what kind of work you found there.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-13-17, 02:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I'm super curious to hear what kind of work you found there.
20:1 it's something related to the Medical School, which is the dominant employer on the island.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-13-17, 02:08 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
20:1 it's something related to the Medical School, which is the dominant employer on the island.
A lot of Europeans go over in teach/research if they can't get something in Singapore.
Old 12-14-17, 04:42 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Put a triple 22/32/42 crankset on your Surly and a 12/34 corset in the back. Maybe you need a new MTB derailleur. 8% is pretty steep but you are not in a hurry and you will get stronger and soon want some bigger gears. Consider a trailer (Carry Freedom) to haul stuff. If you need a motor, get an old Honda MTB.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 12-16-17, 07:18 AM
HoustonGal

Bikes: Liv Vall E+

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Bingo.
Old 12-16-17, 09:07 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Put a triple 22/32/42 crankset on your Surly and a 12/34 corset in the back.
Sounds uncomfortable
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-16-17, 09:12 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Sounds uncomfortable
No kidding!

Likes For alan s:
Old 12-21-17, 02:00 PM
nasabiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I,m gonna echo the opinion of just getting lower gears- 5 miles is very short 22-42 crankset and you can do even lower cassettes as low as 40-46 teeth in extreme situations, I sometimes find tha a lower gear can be easier than walking in some instances. youll acclimatize to the hills soon enough. but I'm an idiot and no one should ever listen to me... also congratualtions on the new lifestyle and job! ill try to reign in my jealousy
Old 12-21-17, 02:05 PM
nasabiker

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
also looking at those hills you might want this for your down hill portion
Likes For nasabiker:
Old 12-24-17, 09:51 AM
johnlp37

Bikes: '88 Centurion Ironman, '97 Jamis Eclipse,'84 Ron Stout, '89 Miyata 1400, '82 Miyata 1000,'88 Schwinn Tempo, '84 Fuji Touring Series IV

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would wait and see how far from work you end up living, then decide on transportation. You may be within a short walking distance. I once lived about 300 yards from work. Didn't need a car or a bike. BTW most of us will be wanting to come visit lol.
Likes For johnlp37:
Old 12-30-17, 08:30 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HoustonGal
So I'm thinking an electric bike might be a good idea. I know nothing about them. I should probably have posted this in the electric forum, but I figured the commuters have a better idea of what I'm looking to do here. ... Thanks for any advice!
Some people like wider tires, some like drop bars. Its are personal taste on most everything, but if you want to climb hills then make sure you get a center drive. If you want to ride around city streets don't go above 750W. The more suspension the better in my book. If coin isn't a problem a Rohloff Speed hub always fills the bill. Then once you are riding you will figure out what is necessary and what is just a toy that you still want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
modified-rack2.jpg (1.63 MB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg
Summer gear.jpg (966.4 KB, 138 views)
Old 01-19-18, 12:04 PM
HoustonGal

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
If it's steep, I would walk to work...but 5 miles is too much to walk on a regular basis.

Riding steep hill is tiring...you'll get to class all worn out. Yeah your legs will get strong, but your study will suffer.
You are not going there to ride bicycle...you're there to study.

I think electric is a good way to go...but it's expensive.

Maybe...just ride your Xcheck on the flat...and when it's too steep, walk it.
Well, I'm going there to teach, not study. But I definitely don't want to get to class all worn out.

After further consultation with a future colleague, I've decided that I'll be living in Windwardside or Hell's Gate. The Bottom might be convenient, but it can get damn hot and muggy. I'd rather have a constant sea breeze and views.

Also according to my future co-worker there are a few "crazy people" who ride bikes for transportation exclusively. It can be done, I'm just not sure I'm the woman to do it (unassisted, at least)
Old 11-02-20, 09:21 AM
HoustonGal

I seriously doubt anyone has read this thread in years, but I have an update: I am still here on Saba (which is COVID-free!) and I was seriously missing bike commuting but was also seriously intimidated by the hills. Happy to report I just bought a used Liv Vall E+ and I am thrilled with it.

I completed my 4k morning commute from Booby Hill (it's named after BIRDS, don't snicker) to the Bottom in 12 minutes. Going home takes about 20 min. The last climb to my place is a nightmare (18-20% grade), but do-able, thanks to the assist. I am also very, very glad for the hydraulic disc brakes. Going off the road due to brake failure would be catastrophic under the best of conditions, fatal at the worst. And I've heard nightmare-inducing tales of snapped brake cables from another cyclist here.

Now I just need to add a back rack and get my friend to ship my Brooks saddle down from Houston and my new commuting machine will be perfect.
Likes For HoustonGal:
Old 11-02-20, 02:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@HoustonGal, I'm glad to read this followup. I remember your inquiry and story. What Brooks saddle do you like?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-03-20, 08:50 AM
HoustonGal

Originally Posted by noglider
@HoustonGal, I'm glad to read this followup. I remember your inquiry and story. What Brooks saddle do you like?
Just a standard B17. It's already broken in, and my friend who has my Surly isn't riding at the moment due to injury, so I figured I might as well have it sent down here. I don't have an LBS that I can just pop into and grab another saddle. The closest one is over on St. Maarten and I'd have to quarantine for 2 weeks if I visited there so.....
Likes For HoustonGal:
Old 11-07-20, 12:50 AM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Between the time you started this thread, to the time now where you have your ebike (congrats BTW on the Giant - they make outstanding electric assist bikes) you have hit the sweet spot of buying just as bike mfrs are really focusing the effort in to supply a whole range of quality ebikes rather than just offering one or two. Glad you are enjoying it, and it has reduced your concern re: the hills, and helped you get back into riding with a smile. Have yet to see a Brooks on an ebike, but no reason why not.
Old 11-23-20, 01:12 PM
HoustonGal

Originally Posted by momsonherbike
Between the time you started this thread, to the time now where you have your ebike (congrats BTW on the Giant - they make outstanding electric assist bikes) you have hit the sweet spot of buying just as bike mfrs are really focusing the effort in to supply a whole range of quality ebikes rather than just offering one or two. Glad you are enjoying it, and it has reduced your concern re: the hills, and helped you get back into riding with a smile. Have yet to see a Brooks on an ebike, but no reason why not.
You are so very right about that! I also got lucky in that this bike was imported from Europe, where it seems they are way ahead of the North American market. It's absolutely perfect for the type of riding I do here.

As for the Brooks, I'll post a pic when I get it. Tragically, it's totally the wrong color for a blue and magenta bike (it's the honey brown model which looked awesome on a green Cross Check) but oh well. The existing saddle has got to go.
Likes For HoustonGal:
Old 11-23-20, 07:45 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I love Custard.

Yeowch cried Blink, and ooh said Belinda
And there was a Pirate, climbin in the winda
Okay, I know, this thread is many years old. But still, I mean, in glee they did gyrate around the dragon who ate the pirate, right?

As for the Brooks, I'll post a pic when I get it. Tragically, it's totally the wrong color for a blue and magenta bike (it's the honey brown model which looked awesome on a green Cross Check) but oh well. The existing saddle has got to go.
Google "Angelus Leather Paint." You can paint a leather saddle any color(s) you like, only costs a couple bucks (plus shipping).
Old 11-23-20, 08:26 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Nothing to do with biking but I was intrigued as I have never heard of Saba. I like it. Month long rentals seemed doable but doubt the natives want anyone from the U.S. due to Covid. The roads you speak of do look steep, very steep. Do you snorkel/dive there? I love both. I will have to look into Saba much more.

Enjoy your experience, looks like a lot of fun and scenic.
Old 11-24-20, 08:21 AM
HoustonGal

Originally Posted by rhm
Google "Angelus Leather Paint." You can paint a leather saddle any color(s) you like, only costs a couple bucks (plus shipping).
Oh, cool, thanks.
Old 11-24-20, 08:22 AM
HoustonGal

Originally Posted by balto charlie
Nothing to do with biking but I was intrigued as I have never heard of Saba. I like it. Month long rentals seemed doable but doubt the natives want anyone from the U.S. due to Covid. The roads you speak of do look steep, very steep. Do you snorkel/dive there? I love both. I will have to look into Saba much more.

Enjoy your experience, looks like a lot of fun and scenic.
Yeah, the "stay at least a month" plan is the best we can do at the moment to try and keep the island population safe while still providing some kind of tourist income. U.S. tourists are welcome, provided you follow the testing protocol, contact the government to let them know you are coming, and then quarantine in your guest accommodation for 10 days on arrival. After that you are free to party with the rest of us! We have a pretty elderly population, and very limited on-island health care. Major health issues need to be treated on St. Maarten (which is swamped with COVID) or transported to Bonaire or Curacao, so logistically it makes more sense to try for full containment rather than management of the virus. But I'm sure it's a matter of when, not if, we get another case here.

You should definitely look into visiting Saba at some point. It's lovely. The diving is world-class. I got my advanced open water SCUBA certification and I go out almost every weekend, weather permitting. All of our reefs are on protected Marine Park territory and they are in good shape. Hiking is really nice (though steep) as well. We have cloud rain forest hikes, rugged coast hikes, hikes to old sugar boiling houses..... all sorts of interesting micro-environments. And some remarkably good restaurants for an island this size. What we don't have are white sand beaches.
Old 11-25-20, 07:52 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Yeah, the "stay at least a month" plan is the best we can do at the moment to try and keep the island population safe while still providing some kind of tourist income. U.S. tourists are welcome, provided you follow the testing protocol, contact the government to let them know you are coming, and then quarantine in your guest accommodation for 10 days on arrival. After that you are free to party with the rest of us! We have a pretty elderly population, and very limited on-island health care. Major health issues need to be treated on St. Maarten (which is swamped with COVID) or transported to Bonaire or Curacao, so logistically it makes more sense to try for full containment rather than management of the virus. But I'm sure it's a matter of when, not if, we get another case here.

You should definitely look into visiting Saba at some point. It's lovely. The diving is world-class. I got my advanced open water SCUBA certification and I go out almost every weekend, weather permitting. All of our reefs are on protected Marine Park territory and they are in good shape. Hiking is really nice (though steep) as well. We have cloud rain forest hikes, rugged coast hikes, hikes to old sugar boiling houses..... all sorts of interesting micro-environments. And some remarkably good restaurants for an island this size. What we don't have are white sand beaches.
We are interested. Airports are freaking me out these days so will wait for the vaccine. Do enjoy your little piece of paradise.
Old 01-12-21, 12:46 PM
HoustonGal

Originally Posted by momsonherbike
Have yet to see a Brooks on an ebike, but no reason why not.
BEHOLD:

(I think the honey brown looks pretty nice with the blue frame)
Likes For HoustonGal:
Old 01-15-21, 04:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Gorgeous! You arrive in more style than anyone else there.