Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Western Catskills Route Advice

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 11:21 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts

So I have a route planned that I intend to ride later this year, starting in Hancock, NY and riding in the area that will take me into the Catskill Park proper but mostly stay west of it.

Route is here (don't make fun of me for the name haha - this will be a challenging route for me, hence the name "2020 Beast Ride"): https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31141463

Just wondering if there is anyone here who is familiar with that area. Lots of this is dirt, gravel, forest service roads. I've recently gotten in some jams on recent gravel rides where there are roads that don't actually exist, or may have existed and been public at one time but are "private" now.

Particularly wondering about the section starting around mile 94 climbing up Gee Brook Road, then hoping to find that it connects to East Brook Road at the top (not clear that it does, but maybe a bit of bushwacking will suffice). Looking at the bottom of East Brook Road where it meets Readburn Road it appears to possibly not be there...goes through a field. If you're familiar with it, is it a public road or private? Any idea if the connect to Gee Brook is available? And - wtf is that 28% grade on E. Brook? I'll be hiking that bit haha.

Any info will be helpful. I don't really want to go scout this out but I may have to. Cell service is unlikely. I ride with a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, and re-routing I believe requires a phone connection to get the data.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-20, 10:04 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
You've got a lot of steep grades on that. Other than that though I have no advice or knowledge. That's a pretty obscure area.
Old 09-03-20, 12:13 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
You've got a lot of steep grades on that. Other than that though I have no advice or knowledge. That's a pretty obscure area.
Ha...yeah there are a couple spots that I'll probably end up pushing the bike instead of riding it.

Can't seem to get any input on the area, so going to go do a little scouting. I don't think I have a lot of room for error on this ride - daylight is getting short. I'll start a bit pre-dawn as it is just to ensure I can finish it by dark.