Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Newbie here, fat bike fork suspension options?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 10-16-20, 12:09 AM
Sembikes
Sembikes

Bikes: AM/XC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

any suggestions?
Old 10-30-20, 07:46 PM
zorax2

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Generally speaking, that isn't really a need for a suspension on a fat bike. I run tubeless tires at 4 to 6 psi. All bumps are easily absorbed.

I asked the same question when I first started looking at fat bikes and the long time riders told me "No need" and I do think that is the case for most everyone. Another thought is that I do need full suspension on my mountain bike as I'm riding much faster and hitting things harder. Few people ride their fat bikes at those higher speeds that would make suspension worthwhile.
Old 10-30-20, 09:39 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
"Need" is relative. If you ride singletrack and over roots and rocks, suspension is nice.

Mastodon or rigid CF fork. Nothing else.
Old 10-30-20, 10:08 PM
zorax2

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
"Need" is relative. If you ride singletrack and over roots and rocks, suspension is nice.

Mastodon or rigid CF fork. Nothing else.
Agreed. I'm used to primarily fat biking in the winter at average speeds of around 8 mph. With winter riding, especially with our local singletrack, there aren't a lot of roots and rocks I'm hitting negating my need for a suspension. Now, if I were riding at speeds similar to my typical MTB riding, I'd more carefully evaluate whether to spend on a suspension for my fat bike.

Mastadon is great. Rigid carbon fork (and hopefully handlebars to go with it) - yup - the next best or alternative choice.
Old 10-30-20, 10:51 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by zorax2
Agreed. I'm used to primarily fat biking in the winter at average speeds of around 8 mph. With winter riding, especially with our local singletrack, there aren't a lot of roots and rocks I'm hitting negating my need for a suspension. Now, if I were riding at speeds similar to my typical MTB riding, I'd more carefully evaluate whether to spend on a suspension for my fat bike.

Mastadon is great. Rigid carbon fork (and hopefully handlebars to go with it) - yup - the next best or alternative choice.
If you only ride snow and slow, a CF fork maybe be better. Some people remove suspension fork in winter. Salt etc.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 11-05-20, 10:38 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by zorax2
Generally speaking, that isn't really a need for a suspension on a fat bike. I run tubeless tires at 4 to 6 psi. All bumps are easily absorbed.

I asked the same question when I first started looking at fat bikes and the long time riders told me "No need" and I do think that is the case for most everyone. Another thought is that I do need full suspension on my mountain bike as I'm riding much faster and hitting things harder. Few people ride their fat bikes at those higher speeds that would make suspension worthwhile.
Tires aren't a substitute for suspension. So many people falsely try to make this claim.

The "no need' stems from the fact that most of use fat bikes in winter and suspension isn't required.

Rockshox Bluto and the Manitou Mastadon are the only two I'm aware of. Not a big market out there for them due to the nature of how and when fat bikes are used.