Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rear rack for inner eyelets?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-20, 08:35 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts

Hello,

In the back, this bike has external eyelets for a fender/mudguard, and internal eyelets for a rack.

Do you know of racks that might fit?

Thank you.

Old 11-28-20, 10:31 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
I would probably switch the location of the fender and the rack. Put the rack on the lower mount and the fenders on the upper. Putting the rack on the upper is going to push the rack several inches upward which could have an effect on the handling. Most all racks are made to fit closer to the axle than this bike.

There are some racks like the Delta MegaRack that have adjustable legs but those don’t adjust that much and they would be difficult to mount to the inner part of the seatstay.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-30-20, 08:10 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
I'd probably put both on the upper eyelet. Rack goes on first, next to the frame so it has a lower moment on the bolt, and fender goes on the outside. (Add washers as needed.) You can bend the fender stay and cut it to the correct length.
Old 11-30-20, 10:54 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
This is a standard mount point for disc racks, isn't it?

This is how the Surly version looks. Deck height is fully adjustable

Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-30-20, 06:15 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
This is a standard mount point for disc racks, isn't it?

This is how the Surly version looks. Deck height is fully adjustable

I can see several problems with that kind of mount. First it probably wouldn’t work with the kind of braze-on that Winfried has on the bike. That one is mounted on the outside fo the seatstay or, more properly, on the back of the seatstay. Additionally, for his application, the hardware is going to be pulled in towards the wheel because of the inside mount which could cause clearance problems. I’m not sure the inside mount could even work since the legs on the rack are rather thick and the leg would probably hit the seatstay before the bolt is tightened up properly. That would reduce the clearance.

A general problem I can see with that kind of rack is that it is going to wag horribly. Having the mount point so far in front of where the bags hang is going to make sway a really big problem, especially if you load it to the weight Surly says you can. And, uff, the price! $160 is steep. I’ve paid more than that for a Tubus but that one was an Airy which is titanium.

Finally, that’s just ug ly. Seriously ugly. Like “hang a pork chop around it so the dog will play with it” ugly.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!