Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Re-Riding Routes on Smart Trainer Help

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-21, 12:41 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts

Hey everyone,
I have a question as to whether I have the ability to re-ride past "outdoor" efforts that were recorded by my Garmin Edge 500 on my Wahoo Kickr Core. I am thinking that I likely cannot due to equipment limitations, but thought perhaps there is a way and wanted to see if someone can assist:

Equipment:
  • Wahoo Kickr Core
  • Garmin Edge 500 (where initial rides outdoors are recorded)
  • Wahoo Fitness App (Apple iOS). I have authorized Wahoo Fitness App to communicate with RidewithGPS.
  • RIdewithGPS App (Apple iOS) - where I have uploaded some of my rides
Note: I do not have the Wahoo Element physical bike computer. I use the Wahoo Fitness App to control the Wahoo Kickr unless I am riding Zwift.

Question:
I cannot seem to get the Wahoo Fitness to allow me to use a ride from RidewithGPS to replicate that ride on the trainer.
  1. Is this not possible without the Wahoo Element Bike computer itself (i.e. - the physical unit sold by Wahoo)?
  2. I have seen videos where one can use a Garmin Edge 510 to allow the Garmin Edge to control the trainer (i.e.- take over and allow it to simulate the ride on the Garmin), but I cannot seem to find that functionality on the Garmin Edge 500.
  3. Is this the case that I need to either get an upgraded Garmin Edge or get a Wahoo Element computer in order to access this functionality?
  4. Are there any other options to allow me to use either my Strava App (on phone), RidewithGPS App (on phone) to somehow control the trainer's resistance to replicate the rides that those apps have accessed from past outdoor rides?
Old 01-05-21, 01:16 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
The first thing you need to do is see if you can pair your trainer to your Garmin. I don't know how Garmin head units work because I use Wahoo and Stages....but once the trainer is paired....you just start pedaling (with the Wahoo). It will automatically display your options for indoor riding (ERG, Sim, etc...). With the Wahoo, you just load a course and start riding. The courses are automatically downloaded to the Wahoo from RWGPS.

With the Stages (I'm going to assume this is more Garmin-esque), you create a separate profile. In this case it will be "indoor"....within that profile you have several settings you can assign (such as continuous recording with GPS off, Power - choose trainer or power meter, candence - same, Movement - Trainer, etc..)….then it's just a matter of selecting "sim" mode and loading a route you want to ride.

Sorry, I'm not more help....but dig into that Garmin and see if you can pair it and create an indoor profile.....or pair it and load a route....start riding and see what happens.
Old 01-05-21, 02:22 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
Hey everyone,
I have a question as to whether I have the ability to re-ride past "outdoor" efforts that were recorded by my Garmin Edge 500 on my Wahoo Kickr Core. I am thinking that I likely cannot due to equipment limitations, but thought perhaps there is a way and wanted to see if someone can assist:

Equipment:
  • Wahoo Kickr Core
  • Garmin Edge 500 (where initial rides outdoors are recorded)
  • Wahoo Fitness App (Apple iOS). I have authorized Wahoo Fitness App to communicate with RidewithGPS.
  • RIdewithGPS App (Apple iOS) - where I have uploaded some of my rides
Note: I do not have the Wahoo Element physical bike computer. I use the Wahoo Fitness App to control the Wahoo Kickr unless I am riding Zwift.

Question:
I cannot seem to get the Wahoo Fitness to allow me to use a ride from RidewithGPS to replicate that ride on the trainer.
  1. Is this not possible without the Wahoo Element Bike computer itself (i.e. - the physical unit sold by Wahoo)?
  2. I have seen videos where one can use a Garmin Edge 510 to allow the Garmin Edge to control the trainer (i.e.- take over and allow it to simulate the ride on the Garmin), but I cannot seem to find that functionality on the Garmin Edge 500.
  3. Is this the case that I need to either get an upgraded Garmin Edge or get a Wahoo Element computer in order to access this functionality?
  4. Are there any other options to allow me to use either my Strava App (on phone), RidewithGPS App (on phone) to somehow control the trainer's resistance to replicate the rides that those apps have accessed from past outdoor rides?
for what it is worth...

https://www.bikeforums.net/indoor-st...plication.html

only have a kicker so have not used with the kicker core but should work.
Old 01-05-21, 03:29 PM
Het Volk

Ant+ FE-C
After some more research, the Garmin Edge 500 lacks the protocol (which came out in 2016, and my Edge is from 2011/12 era. Ant+ FE-C is the ANT+ protocol needed to control indoor training devices with the computer. Perhaps there is a hack somewhere, but it through the Garmin Edge 500, it does not appear so.

Wahoo Fitness App (Apple iOS)?
This again seems to indicate that I will need some form of Ant+ FE-C device, however, clearly Zwift from my Apple TV is able to do it. So I am thinking somehow there must be a way to do this via one of my other apps, and through the Wahoo Fitness App (although, it appears all the options seem to require going through Wahoo Element App). It could be, that ultimately, they want to require you to purchase the Wahoo Bolt or Wahoo Element computers to facility this.....but if that is the case, why do they allow Garmin Edge's with ANT+ FE-C (Edge 520 etc....) to do it independent of the Wahoo Element.

It is clear the Wahoo Fitness App alone has the ability to control the Wahoo Kickr Core....so the question is - how can I feed through the SIM module on the Wahoo Fitness App, my rides from the past through the SIM module? We will see.
Old 01-05-21, 04:12 PM
spelger

Ant+ FE-C
After some more research, the Garmin Edge 500 lacks the protocol (which came out in 2016, and my Edge is from 2011/12 era. Ant+ FE-C is the ANT+ protocol needed to control indoor training devices with the computer. Perhaps there is a hack somewhere, but it through the Garmin Edge 500, it does not appear so.

Wahoo Fitness App (Apple iOS)?
This again seems to indicate that I will need some form of Ant+ FE-C device, however, clearly Zwift from my Apple TV is able to do it. So I am thinking somehow there must be a way to do this via one of my other apps, and through the Wahoo Fitness App (although, it appears all the options seem to require going through Wahoo Element App). It could be, that ultimately, they want to require you to purchase the Wahoo Bolt or Wahoo Element computers to facility this.....but if that is the case, why do they allow Garmin Edge's with ANT+ FE-C (Edge 520 etc....) to do it independent of the Wahoo Element.

It is clear the Wahoo Fitness App alone has the ability to control the Wahoo Kickr Core....so the question is - how can I feed through the SIM module on the Wahoo Fitness App, my rides from the past through the SIM module? We will see.
it is not a question of connectivity. Zwift will connect either over ANT+ or Bluetooth. the application used needs to have the smarts to do the controlling. i have the wahoo app too on my phone and can see no where that a previous ride can be uploaded and simulated. mine may be back a few versions though.
Old 01-05-21, 05:45 PM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by spelger
it is not a question of connectivity. Zwift will connect either over ANT+ or Bluetooth. the application used needs to have the smarts to do the controlling. i have the wahoo app too on my phone and can see no where that a previous ride can be uploaded and simulated. mine may be back a few versions though.
I think what is frustrating is that the Wahoo Fitness App can control the Kickr Core. However, it appears, they have limited the ability to use that App to utilize previous efforts to recreate those rides. I am again, guessing they want to push people into buying their Elements or Bolt computers.
Old 01-05-21, 08:11 PM
spelger

I think what is frustrating is that the Wahoo Fitness App can control the Kickr Core. However, it appears, they have limited the ability to use that App to utilize previous efforts to recreate those rides. I am again, guessing they want to push people into buying their Elements or Bolt computers.
maybe. the logic is really not that difficult to implement. but it is reasons like that that made me write my own app. my out of pocket expense was a $20 ANT+ dongle. but then i really needed it for zwift anyway since my laptop is old enough that it does not have blue tooth.
Old 01-05-21, 08:34 PM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by spelger
maybe. the logic is really not that difficult to implement. but it is reasons like that that made me write my own app. my out of pocket expense was a $20 ANT+ dongle. but then i really needed it for zwift anyway since my laptop is old enough that it does not have blue tooth.
Well - I contacted support. We will see how soon they answer. I have a feeling ultimately, this is a "'feature', not a 'bub'" situation where that functionality was kept out of the Wahoo Fitness app, because it might hurt sales of the Wahoo Element or Bolt computers. So ultimately, I just need to get a new Garmin.
Old 01-05-21, 08:47 PM
spelger

Well - I contacted support. We will see how soon they answer. I have a feeling ultimately, this is a "'feature', not a 'bub'" situation where that functionality was kept out of the Wahoo Fitness app, because it might hurt sales of the Wahoo Element or Bolt computers. So ultimately, I just need to get a new Garmin.
if you are only after the device to re-ride then i think there are other alternatives compared to a new element computer. not sure how much they cost but i recall someone here on BF saying that Golden Cheeta can do this and it too is free. I have it on my laptop but never knew it had that feature. there is also rouvy and some other app that will allow you to upload a past ride. i wish i could remember the name, it had the neat feature of being able to take one of your rides and make a strava like world out of it. my app is just a boring google map but it gets the job done. i've re-ridden a few rides i have done here locally but also some that i grabbed from other sites, places like greece, china, japan, spain, chile, iran, and of course route 50 in the great state of Nevada.
Old 01-05-21, 08:49 PM
spelger

old age getting to me i guess, i remember now...

https://www.rgtcycling.com/magic-roads/
Likes For spelger:
Old 01-06-21, 09:23 AM
Het Volk

Well
you can see the response below. Clearly the app was designed to limit functionality.

Old 01-06-21, 09:36 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Well
you can see the response below. Clearly the app was designed to limit functionality.

He is speaking directly to using the Wahoo training app on your phone. He mentions that you CAN re-ride a route using the Elemnt Computer.

I understood your question to be..."Can I load a ride on my Garmin computer and re-ride it on my Kickr".

Wahoo is not the only computer that allows you to re-ride a route. Other computers have the same "trainer control" function....which is why I asked you if you have tried pairing your Garmin and loading a route?

Your Kickr should be able to pair via ANT+ or Bluetooth....
Old 01-06-21, 09:44 AM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by jadocs
He is speaking directly to using the Wahoo training app on your phone. He mentions that you CAN re-ride a route using the Elemnt Computer.

I understood your question to be..."Can I load a ride on my Garmin computer and re-ride it on my Kickr".

Wahoo is not the only computer that allows you to re-ride a route. Other computers have the same "trainer control" function....which is why I asked you if you have tried pairing your Garmin and loading a route?

Your Kickr should be able to pair via ANT+ or Bluetooth....
Understood on the above. I was hoping that the Fitness App had the same functionality as the Element Companion App (Note - the companion app is useless without the actual computer from Wahoo).

And yes, I understand there are other apps out there with the Ant+ FE-C protocol, but was hoping that there was some way to use the Fitness App without investing in an upgraded bike computer. My current Garmin (Edge 500) is too old to have the ANT+ FE-C protocol, because that protocol did not come out until 2016, and the 500 I own is from 2011/2012.
Likes For Het Volk:
Old 01-06-21, 09:56 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I have a BKOOL Pro, and not a Wahoo Kicker, and I have the ability to load any .GPX course I create using RWGPS into the BKOOL simulation software, WITHOUT having to have ridden it in the past. This is a great feature if you like to do a recon ride of a course prior to riding it IRL. This is the way.
Old 01-06-21, 11:36 AM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by Riveting
I have a BKOOL Pro, and not a Wahoo Kicker, and I have the ability to load any .GPX course I create using RWGPS into the BKOOL simulation software, WITHOUT having to have ridden it in the past. This is a great feature if you like to do a recon ride of a course prior to riding it IRL. This is the way.
I think ultimately, I will need to get the Wahoo Element, if I want to both:
(A) re-ride rides from my own experience
(B) Ride other routes using RidewithGPS app.

Or I just upgrade my Garmin to one with ANT+ FE-C protocol, but that limits me to just re-riding my own routes*

* - unless the new Garmins can also upload routes from RidewithGPS or Strava, and then allow me through the Garmin to re-ride those routes.

Sadly - this is just what happens as technology ages. However, I can still do plenty with my current set-up (Zwift etc...). And who knows, maybe RidewithGPS or other apps will, develop an ability, like Zwift, via the App itself, to control the Wahoo Kickr resistance in the future, eliminating this issue.
Old 01-06-21, 02:01 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
As a bit of caution, if you are not able to edit the file after the ride and plan on riding it as recorded, the elevation grade has a tendency to be spikey especially if it was recorded from a GPS file, not a barometric altimeter. So a fairly consistent 8% grade will fluctuate between 15% and 3% for example. I found the best way to ride a personal route is to create the ride on RideWithGPS the export it to software such as Rouvy which you can then edit the maximum grade and apply smoothing.
Old 01-06-21, 02:04 PM
Atlas Shrugged

I think ultimately, I will need to get the Wahoo Element, if I want to both:
(A) re-ride rides from my own experience
(B) Ride other routes using RidewithGPS app.

Or I just upgrade my Garmin to one with ANT+ FE-C protocol, but that limits me to just re-riding my own routes*

* - unless the new Garmins can also upload routes from RidewithGPS or Strava, and then allow me through the Garmin to re-ride those routes.

Sadly - this is just what happens as technology ages. However, I can still do plenty with my current set-up (Zwift etc...). And who knows, maybe RidewithGPS or other apps will, develop an ability, like Zwift, via the App itself, to control the Wahoo Kickr resistance in the future, eliminating this issue.
Yes, any route creation software will allow you to import to your Garmin and treated it as a pre ridden ride.
Old 01-06-21, 03:09 PM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
As a bit of caution, if you are not able to edit the file after the ride and plan on riding it as recorded, the elevation grade has a tendency to be spikey especially if it was recorded from a GPS file, not a barometric altimeter. So a fairly consistent 8% grade will fluctuate between 15% and 3% for example. I found the best way to ride a personal route is to create the ride on RideWithGPS the export it to software such as Rouvy which you can then edit the maximum grade and apply smoothing.
Luckily,
Mine was recorded using the Garmin Edge 500, which uses barometric vs. GPS.

Rouvy
If I hear you correctly, I could load my ride into Rouvy, and then using the Apple TV APP, ride my ride via that app, as Rouvy is supposed to have SIM functionality with the Kickr Core. Is this a correct statement?
Old 01-07-21, 12:02 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Luckily,
Mine was recorded using the Garmin Edge 500, which uses barometric vs. GPS.

Rouvy
If I hear you correctly, I could load my ride into Rouvy, and then using the Apple TV APP, ride my ride via that app, as Rouvy is supposed to have SIM functionality with the Kickr Core. Is this a correct statement?
Rouvy on the Apple TV does not give you the full functionality of the software including the ability to upload and edit routes will need a computer for that. You will still have a issue with unstable elevation profiles. The best is to recreate the route on Strava or RideWithGPS.
Old 01-07-21, 09:03 AM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Rouvy on the Apple TV does not give you the full functionality of the software including the ability to upload and edit routes will need a computer for that. You will still have a issue with unstable elevation profiles. The best is to recreate the route on Strava or RideWithGPS.

Gets me back to needing to get an Element. Oh well.
Old 01-07-21, 10:06 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Gets me back to needing to get an Element. Oh well.
Or any other computer with FE-C control could also use a iOS device, Mac, widows computer, Android device. Lots of options and all applications have free trial periods so have fun.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 01-07-21 at 10:33 AM.