Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Headset Service Frequency?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-21, 11:01 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts

After doing some research, im getting some mixed opinions . Some are saying to do after a certain period of time, others say it's good for the life of the bike.

after bouncing the front wheel on the ground, im pretty sure I can hear the bearings rattling about in there. I think it's time to see whats going on in there. Bike is a 1980 Norco.
Old 01-08-21, 11:26 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
If you bought your bike second hand and have never serviced the headset, it's time, since you have no idea how long it has been. In general, cartridge bearing headsets need to be serviced when the bearings wear out. Loose bearing headsets should be serviced every year or two, more often if you frequently ride in wet weather conditions. Most often it is the lower bearing that will fail since the bike's weight rests on it and it is exposed to road grit and water thrown off the front wheel. A set of mudguards can greatly extend the life of a headset on a bike ridden in the wet. I used to commute about 9000 km per year and I never replaced the headset on that bike in many years of riding it. However I did service it on a yearly basis
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-08-21, 11:27 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,932 Times in 1,213 Posts
40 year old bike, it might be time to open it up, clean it up, and grease it up. I think that's like a 30 year old house -- it's pretty much reached its "don't touch anything that ain't broke" service life.
Old 01-08-21, 11:29 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Most better quality current headsets use sealed cartridge bearings and require very little maintenance. I remove and wipe the bearings and cups clean of dirt and old grease and regrease them, mostly as a water seal. I do this with my general overhauls at 7000-8000 mile intervals. My Chris King headset has 55,000 miles and is still in fine condition with this rather haphazard schedule. I also have Cane Creek and Velo-Orange cartridge bearing headsets that are nearly as durable and get the same maintenance schedule.

Older loose ball or caged ball headsets should be disassembled and regreased more frequently as their seals and dirt/water protection are far less effective. Your 1980 Norco almost certainly came with this type of headset and they are not set-and-forget components.

Put your bike on the ground and lock the front brake. Then try to rock the bike forward and back and see if there is any play in the headset. Also turn the bars and see if there is any "notchiness" as the headset rotates. If there is play, adjust the clearance. If there is notchiness the lower race and/or crown race is probably pockmarked (aks "brineling" ) and the headset should be replaced.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-08-21, 03:36 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I had lower bearings go bad on my Ritchey External Bearing Headset. The bike has about 20000 miles and 3.5 years on it seemed getting bit of water coming up from the front wheels. The headset still worked but I could feel it not smooth. Rather than get new bearing I just got a whole new headset same one for almost the price of the bearings. For me easier I just pressed the new cups in and bearings are all sealed. I did use marine grease and save the old upper bearing. Headset can go almost forever depending but good to look at them at some time. That said my BB is still spinning fine now with 21000 miles but of course it is the gold standard threaded BSA type. I think I will just leave it alone till and feel or hear anything different.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 01-08-21, 06:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
I always "like" these types of questions. The answers are always shades of gray ones. But if we change the question to another topic the answers are so obvious and ones that nearly all would agree on. "How often should I bathe?" Often enough to not smell and offend those who you want to hang with is what I think we all would agree to

My idea of bike maintenance is do do the service BEFORE it's a must (or a "repair"). After doing a specific service on your bike a few times it usually becomes easy to discern how frequently that service is best done for your conditions. So I guess my short answer is to service your headset now and start your discovery process.

BTW I don't look forward to those who feel their headset is set for life coming into where I work for service. It's seems to me that they lack an understanding of things mechanical used in real world conditions and/or the chemistry and contamination of lubes. It's well known in the LBS service world that grease is not meant to be "good" after a number of years regardless of use. Phil Wood use to suggest 5 years for their grease. Andy
Old 01-08-21, 08:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

BTW I don't look forward to those who feel their headset is set for life coming into where I work for service. It's seems to me that they lack an understanding of things mechanical used in real world conditions and/or the chemistry and contamination of lubes. It's well known in the LBS service world that grease is not meant to be "good" after a number of years regardless of use. Phil Wood use to suggest 5 years for their grease. Andy
How about a headset with sealed cartridge bearings? Is it just a matter of time before they fail, too?
Old 01-08-21, 09:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

I wouldn't say wearing out of a bearing is the same as it's failing. But any sliding set of parts will at some point see wear and at some point that wear will be enough to matter. Seals, as found on most all bike bearings of any type, are for keeping out the bits of grit more then water. Water will have dissolved chemicals and/or VERY fine grit it it. This year at work I probably replaced a half dozen headsets/bearings due to rusted out condition, and most were cartridge types not loose balls. Andy
Old 01-08-21, 10:27 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If everything is smooth with no play, but you can’t remember when you last did any maintenance, it’s time to do it.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 01-08-21, 10:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Generally there is nothing on a bike that doesn't need to be serviced once and a while. I guess aside from a dynamo hub (SON is very clear in saying don't open 'er up) most everything else could be pulled and reinstalled with fresh grease and such.
Old 01-09-21, 05:02 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by deacon mark
I had lower bearings go bad on my Ritchey External Bearing Headset. The bike has about 20000 miles and 3.5 years on it seemed getting bit of water coming up from the front wheels. The headset still worked but I could feel it not smooth. Rather than get new bearing I just got a whole new headset same one for almost the price of the bearings. For me easier I just pressed the new cups in and bearings are all sealed. I did use marine grease and save the old upper bearing. Headset can go almost forever depending but good to look at them at some time. That said my BB is still spinning fine now with 21000 miles but of course it is the gold standard threaded BSA type. I think I will just leave it alone till and feel or hear anything different.
As for bottom bracket .. mine seemed to feel fine soinning the cranks with the chain off after 40 years of what I am sure was the original grease and bearings... taking it apart didn't look too good in there. New bearings and grease as well as a shorter spindle helped make a difference with smoothness, although nothing major. I suspect the situation with my headset will be the same after all these years.
Old 01-09-21, 06:01 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
I usually do all the bearings (wheels, headset, and bottom bracket) at the same time. An argument can be made that the headset doesn't need it as often, but it's easy enough that I just do it along with the rest. It is definitely NOT "good for the life of the bike". The actual frequency depends on which bike, and how I have been using it.

With a 41-year-old bike, it would be a good idea to service the wheels and bottom bracket as well as the headset.
Old 01-09-21, 10:12 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I usually do all the bearings (wheels, headset, and bottom bracket) at the same time. An argument can be made that the headset doesn't need it as often, but it's easy enough that I just do it along with the rest. It is definitely NOT "good for the life of the bike". The actual frequency depends on which bike, and how I have been using it.

With a 41-year-old bike, it would be a good idea to service the wheels and bottom bracket as well as the headset.
The bottom bracket has been overhauled already, as well as the hub in the rear wheel when I was using it. I've got a new wheelset now. The headset is the last piece of equipment left which still needs to be refreshed on this bike, other than the paint finish. Will get around to doing the headset soon.
Old 01-10-21, 07:46 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I come from an industrial maintenance background, preventative maintenance is important to me and I have 18 bikes. Some might only get out 3 or 4 times a year, so I can't used a calendar based preventative maintenance schedule. Also I have given up on trying to keep accurate milage records for a usage based preventative maintenance schedule. While predictive maintenance practices like checking for chain elongation work well, some like locking front brake and rocking to check the headset or feeling for crank loosening or removing chain and spinning the crank often tell me I am late and may have done damage to the parts, but at least usually prevent component loss or breakdown. So I do things like from the rack to the spot for filling tires I very often check the headset and when lubing the chain in a stand feel the crank, try to wiggle the rim to check hubs, etc..
Old 01-10-21, 08:11 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I just pulled the headset out of my 38 year old Bianchi for the first time to paint the rusting frame.

The bike has countless miles and was exposed to significant beach salt when I lived in LA. Have had zero issues, headset was working flawlessly.

Will go ahead and replace it due to some surface rust on the visible parts of the chrome.
Old 01-10-21, 11:14 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

There isn't really any play coming from the headset, and it feels 99% smooth when trying to turn while applying some weight to the bearings. Is it totally necessary for me to open the headset up? Probably not. But still should be done as i've been riding in quite a lot of rain and snow lately
Old 01-10-21, 02:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

A bearing is not only about metal and it's ear or loading but also about the lubricant and the systems ability to work well with future conditions. Since replacing this component (the grease) is so easy why not do it, independent of actually opening up the bearings could tell you more then you assume. Andy
Old 01-10-21, 04:33 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I come from an industrial maintenance background, preventative maintenance is important to me and I have 18 bikes. Some might only get out 3 or 4 times a year, so I can't used a calendar based preventative maintenance schedule. Also I have given up on trying to keep accurate milage records for a usage based preventative maintenance schedule. While predictive maintenance practices like checking for chain elongation work well, some like locking front brake and rocking to check the headset or feeling for crank loosening or removing chain and spinning the crank often tell me I am late and may have done damage to the parts, but at least usually prevent component loss or breakdown. So I do things like from the rack to the spot for filling tires I very often check the headset and when lubing the chain in a stand feel the crank, try to wiggle the rim to check hubs, etc..
You are my hero.
Old 01-21-21, 09:01 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

I got around to taking apart my headset a few days ago. It looked to be in remarkably good condition for its age. I am certain this was the first time its ever been serviced since leaving the factory.

I didn't look too closely at the bearings, but they seemed to be in good condition. There was barely any of the original grease left, which was sticky and did little to alleviate friction. A bjt of dirt hear and there inside the cups/cones but remarkably clean and smooth for its age. The headset feels more or less the same after putting it back together, although it does feel a bit tighter and the rattling has now subsided
Old 01-21-21, 09:39 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26418 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
How about a headset with sealed cartridge bearings? Is it just a matter of time before they fail, too?
...the term "sealed cartridge bearing" get used in a lot of different contexts. Some of them (probably the best ones) are roller bearings in cartridges, and they do have pretty good seals. The bulk of what I see for sale now are cartridges made from ball bearings. I'm kind or "meh" on those. They do not seem all that well sealed to me. The bulk of the headsets I've replaced in my lifetime have been victims of false brinelling, and short of opening them up every now and then and smearing new grease around, there's not much more you can do to prevent that IME.

I miss the good ol' days, when you could buy a Stronglight A-9 relatively cheaply, install it, and just not worry about it much after that.
Old 01-22-21, 10:40 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...the term "sealed cartridge bearing" get used in a lot of different contexts. Some of them (probably the best ones) are roller bearings in cartridges, and they do have pretty good seals. The bulk of what I see for sale now are cartridges made from ball bearings. I'm kind or "meh" on those. They do not seem all that well sealed to me. The bulk of the headsets I've replaced in my lifetime have been victims of false brinelling, and short of opening them up every now and then and smearing new grease around, there's not much more you can do to prevent that IME.

I miss the good ol' days, when you could buy a Stronglight A-9 relatively cheaply, install it, and just not worry about it much after that.
I was surprised how little dirt managed to make its way into my bearings, even with practically zero grease left behind.
Old 01-22-21, 12:22 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,932 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
The bulk of the headsets I've replaced in my lifetime have been victims of false brinelling,
I'm not familiar with that term. What does "false brinelling" mean?
Old 01-22-21, 04:23 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by pdlamb
https://www.midpointbearing.com/wp-co...e-Issue-18.pdf
Old 01-22-21, 04:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by pdlamb
https://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/indexed-steering.html
Old 01-25-21, 02:05 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Is leaving the bearings ungreased a bad idea?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.