Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Entry-level Bike, how to find good deals

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-21, 12:27 PM
MeagreAger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been riding a steel Ironman Centurion for the past year and wish to graduate to a newer bike. My only criteria for filtering bikes are a price-range and frame-size (60cm). Someone who replied to a similar post I made earlier told me I should expect to pay around $1000 for a bike which will last and allow me to begin to compete, and to try not to settle for a groupset in a tier lower than shimano 105. What else should I incorporate in my search if I have ambitions in competing? Here are three bikes I found that satisfy the perhaps naive conditions I've set for myself as what qualifies for a potential find:
1) Bianchi Vigorelli
2) 2013 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival
3) 2005 Cinelli Unica
I understand that a successful evaluation of a bike and its fit to the rider takes experience and attempting to do so on the basis of photos and whatever information the seller provides may be a gamble. Is there anything from these three examples that would disqualify them to someone more discerning than I?
Old 01-21-21, 01:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
1) looks like a very nice bike for leisure riding or someone moderately out for fitness riding. Not so much for competition. If you get it for a hundred less, probably a decent deal.

2) Probably the only bike of the three that looks like it fits a 6' 3" person. Is that you too? Still it's more than I'd pay for a used bike. #1 is probably looking small to me because the saddle is so low.

3) If that frame fits a 6' person nicely, the that must be a special proportioned 6' person. Looks tiny to me. Look at the head tube length. Still more than I'd pay for used.

If I were going to do amateur competitions and I was really young, I'd be happy with a NEW Tiagra equipped bike, maybe even Sora if that got me a new bike with a light frame and a race geometry. After all, it's shouldn't be the last bike you'll ever get.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-21-21 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-21-21, 03:02 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
#1 is perhaps a decade older than the others? Plus it's a triple.... Something I'd regard as unnecessary weight but some people do like them, so I can see that side too. I'd like to own that bike, but like the previous poster said, for $100 less. It is too big for me anyway.
Old 01-22-21, 04:47 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
3) If that frame fits a 6' person nicely, the that must be a special proportioned 6' person. Looks tiny to me. Look at the head tube length. Still more than I'd pay for used.
I was going to post the same thing. No way is that frame a medium. I would not trust anything by that seller.

How to find good deals? Pretty much impossible in 2021.
Old 01-22-21, 06:21 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
When I started, I had a tight budget and zero patience. I bought an old CAAD 4 and after about 500 miles I had to replace the rear wheel. A thousand miles later the groupset was shot. My advice, save up a little bit more money and buy a new bike. CAAD 13, Giant Contend, Entry level Trek Domane, there are plenty of others.
That way you know what your getting and won’t have to worry about spending money on parts prematurely.

I bought a Cervelo C2 back in April at Competive Cyclist. I paid around 1700.