Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fender aesthetic advice needed

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 08:41 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts

I want to add some fenders to my Voyageur for a tour later this month and would like some good old C&V aesthetic advice on what I'm thinking of getting for it. My current leaning is toward the SKS Longboards in the tan color but I would like some input on whether the silver or black may look better. I did a rattle can finish on the bike and will likely powdercoat or paint it at some point but I would like to stay close to the original color.

I ride the bike for pleasure rides but I'm rural so few people see it. I'm more interested in function for loaded touring. In other words I want the bike to look nice but it isn't going to be a garage queen and I may well remove them at times between tours.

Although they look great on many bikes I've seen here but I'm not really interested in metal fenders. I don't want to take the time and effort needed to fit them right now and I may want the flexibilty to use the same fenders on my Univega hybrid at times. It is a similar red color but with a silver fade. I have an old set of SKS chromoplastic fenders on another bike and they have held up very well over the years. That plus the long coverage of the longboards is why I'm thinking of sticking with SKS.

You folks have some beautiful bikes so I'd appreciate any input on color.

BTW- the bike now has lowriders in front and 1 1/4 Conti Gatorskins so I'll be using 45mm fenders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0656.jpg (101.1 KB, 151 views)
IMG_0654.jpg (98.4 KB, 126 views)
IMG_0655.jpg (99.1 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by badger_biker; 09-02-11 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-02-11, 08:47 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
For a rattlecan finish, you did a fantastic job! It looks like the factory finish in those pics.

I think the SKS longboards in tan would look fine on your bike. Tan or brown bar tape may compliment them nicely. I also like the idea of the longboard version because longer coverage really makes a huge difference, IMHO.
Old 09-02-11, 08:48 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My Fuji tourer has SKS plastic in silver with Planet Bike mudflaps (from their spare parts store online, $5):

If coverage is your issue, there you go...

45mm fenders, 27 x 1 1/4" tires. I did have to relieve the fenders to fit the fork.
Old 09-02-11, 09:39 AM
oggypop

Bikes: 1978 Peugeot UO-8, 198? Motobecane Sport Jubile - 1985 Peugeot UO-10 - 1980 Schwinn World Tourist - Volkscycle SS Custom - 2007 Orbea Volata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very fond of Velo Orange fenders. I think shiny is always better personally.
Old 09-02-11, 09:48 AM
badger_biker 

Originally Posted by southpawboston
For a rattlecan finish, you did a fantastic job! It looks like the factory finish in those pics.

I think the SKS longboards in tan would look fine on your bike. Tan or brown bar tape may compliment them nicely. I also like the idea of the longboard version because longer coverage really makes a huge difference, IMHO.
Thanks southpaw. I had to go take another look at your Voyageur pics - that bike is superb! I appreciate and value your vote of confidence on the tan. Good idea on the bar tape since I do have a honey B17 on order for it too.
Old 09-02-11, 09:51 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I would say black first, then silver.
Old 09-02-11, 10:01 AM
badger_biker 

Originally Posted by khatfull
My Fuji tourer has SKS plastic in silver with Planet Bike mudflaps (from their spare parts store online, $5):

45mm fenders, 27 x 1 1/4" tires. I did have to relieve the fenders to fit the fork.
Keith - thanks for another post of your beautiful V - one of my all time favorite color schemes. I have the same set up on my Expedition and yes it gets down as low as the longboards. I've never had a problem with the length. I thought of moving those over to the Voyageur but the Expedition has a threaded mount on the underside of the rear brake bridge so I'd have a hole and I'm a little nervous about jostling around 28 year old plastic fenders.
Old 09-02-11, 10:18 AM
robatsu

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I'd vote silver, then tan, then black. I had a couple of sets of black plastic fenders, they look sharp when new, but I thought that they got crummier looking more quickly than other colors, seemed to show scratches and dirt more prominently.
Old 09-02-11, 01:29 PM
badger_biker 

Originally Posted by robatsu
I'd vote silver, then tan, then black. I had a couple of sets of black plastic fenders, they look sharp when new, but I thought that they got crummier looking more quickly than other colors, seemed to show scratches and dirt more prominently.
I had originally thought black because they would stand out less but you make a great point about how they show wear. The civia's on your Trek 620 got me thinking about color - great job on that bike BTW!
Old 09-02-11, 02:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
I prefer white fenders on most bikes. Too bad they're hard to find, but you could paint them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-02-11, 02:13 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I prefer white fenders on most bikes. Too bad they're hard to find, but you could paint them.
Fenders....the things on the bike that are designed to catch grime and dirt. Hey, I know, let's make them white!
Old 09-02-11, 02:24 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
I think you should stick with your gut. I haven't seen the tan fenders in person, but they'd probably look great against that maroon. And SKS plastic fenders have proven themselves sturdy in my experience. Much moreso than the Planet Bike fenders I've dealt with, and I've heard the same from others.

Also,

Nice!
Old 09-02-11, 03:20 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by oggypop
I'm very fond of Velo Orange fenders. I think shiny is always better personally.
+1 VO fenders are great value.

BTW, I have longboards on my cannondale and don't care for them. They're too long and sticks and stuff get stuck between the fender and wheel frequently. The other SKS fenders see more to my liking.

Last edited by photogravity; 09-02-11 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Fixed paragraphs
Old 09-02-11, 03:27 PM
rsacilotto

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I just got silver p45 chromoplastics, happy with them so far, will look into the mud flaps...

Old 09-03-11, 12:53 AM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Imo, color is a very distant second to a nice clean fenderline-- optimally, it is about 5mm above the gumwall/tread trnsition line-- but YMMV. Also imnsho, it's easier to achieve this with metal fenders than the plastic ones. Heavens, they mount with the exact same hardware; and they look so much nicer.
Old 09-03-11, 01:02 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Fenders....the things on the bike that are designed to catch grime and dirt. Hey, I know, let's make them white!
One word.

Bluemels.

Mmmmm....
Old 09-03-11, 04:22 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I have been tucking nice vintage fender sets away for quite a while now. About the nicest I have found, not counting really special items like those on my Motobécane Gran Jubileé...

The fenders fitted to my Legnano Gran Premio...

and to this Sekine SHC270 Single Speed are original Sekine issue mid seventies alloy fenders. They are very sturdy, light and attractive...

And they look just great painted up to match what ever bicycle one wishes to fit them to...
Old 09-03-11, 01:09 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Planet Bike Cascadia fenders can be purchased in white. I really like mine!
Old 09-03-11, 02:19 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
+i for Bluemels, but they're so hard to find and pretty fragile to boot. Leave them for some nut who are trying to go period-correct on a 1948 Raleigh Record Ace.

+1 for white, but I doubt you're going to find Cascadias in white. I found a different model Planet Bike fender in white a few years ago, and haven't seen another pair since then. Off-white is good too, should you find it. If that tan counts as off-white, it might be good. I can't tell from the photos.

But wait. You did such a nice job on the frame, couldn't you spray paint a pair of fenders? I know painting plastics is an iffy business, but I'd research which kind of fenders take paint best, and go with those. Primed and painted.
Old 09-03-11, 02:57 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I got mine off the shelf in a local outdoor-type shop in a small town in Arkansas.

Stranger things have happened!

I believe Soma also makes some plastic fenders in a variety of colors, too.
Old 09-04-11, 12:54 AM
you

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur '89

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also trying to figure out how to best fender a Voyageur (although mine is forest green). If you go with the beige longboards, please post a picture!
Old 09-04-11, 01:08 AM
shuffer

Bikes: Dawes Sportif Ultra Ti, Raleigh RSP 853, GT Karakoram 29er,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice paint job; that doesn't look like it needs any further painting to me. In the UK, the thinking appears to be that if you have a light coloured frame, then use dark mudguards and vice-versa. In your case, silver mudguards would do it for me, I think.

Put some black SKS chromoplastics on mine at the weekend.
Attached Images
P1010175(1).jpg (102.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 09-06-11, 11:43 AM
badger_biker 

Originally Posted by you
I'm also trying to figure out how to best fender a Voyageur (although mine is forest green). If you go with the beige longboards, please post a picture!
Well right or wrong the order for the tan SKS fenders has been placed. I will post pics when I get them installed.

Salsa has what looks to be a nice shade of natural tan bar tape that I might add later to complinemt the color. Does anyone have experience with Salsa tape? I'm wondering if the stamped logo they use is too noticable and distracting. I really like the dark brown shade to go with a darker B17N on a different bike I have.

Thanks to all for the good input.
Old 09-06-11, 11:55 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
I jumped on these last week within an hour or so of their appearing on eBay.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280732246206

(NOS White Bluemels 'Popular', $49.95 BIN, $12 shipping)

This seemed like a rare opportunity as the company's no longer around and I don't think they were ever imported, in quantity at least, to the US. But course now that I've done that no doubt there will be several others that will pop up, even the more desirable 'Club Specials.' I'll report on how they work out in any case.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 09-11-11, 05:09 PM
badger_biker 

Updated pics with longboards

Well I got the longboards mounted and here are some pics. I'm really pleased with the two tone look that reminds me of some of the sweet late 50's Pontiac and Oldsmobile cars.

The were more of a headache to mount that what I remember the last time I did fenders but worked out OK. The front does hang awfully low and I have large 27" wheels with high profile Conti tires. I don't know how these would work on 700c. I want to grind the top down on the fork bracket at some point so I can move it to the front of the bridge. I couldn't get it to slide up enough to get adequate tire clearance so I move it to the back for now.
Attached Images
IMG_0970.jpg (99.4 KB, 196 views)
IMG_0971.jpg (100.8 KB, 153 views)
IMG_0973.jpg (100.0 KB, 150 views)
IMG_0974.jpg (99.9 KB, 143 views)
IMG_0972.jpg (100.1 KB, 137 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.