Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Please set your powerful bike lights to solid mode

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-11, 10:22 AM
Micheal Blue

Bikes: Dahon Mu P24, Trek 7300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some of the fellow commuters I meet use strong front and rear lights in the flashing mode - on the bike path. WTH? Either they are asleep and don't realize what they are doing, or they don't give a damn about others. If you feel insecure on the road, please go ahead and flash your lasers, but switch them to solid mode on the bike path. Our nervous systems will thank you.
Old 10-21-11, 10:47 AM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sometimes use the strobe mode, but only during daylight - typically during less than nice weather. I can't stand strobe mode in the dark. It's too mentally distracting and you can't really see the road or what's on it. I see riders using strobe in darkness and it seems to me that their lights aren't powerful enough to see the road anyway so they display to be seen only.

Anyway, you ain't likely to understand why folks do what they do, and you sure ain't likely to change their behavior. Good luck, though.

-G
Old 10-21-11, 11:31 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Does the bike path pass pedestrian crossings? Do cars cross it ever? Do pedestrians walk on it? All these things are present on the bike paths I ride on. I'll keep my flashers, thanks.
Old 10-21-11, 11:48 AM
paul2432

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here we go again . . .

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ighlight=flash

Paul
Old 10-21-11, 12:38 PM
Micheal Blue

Bikes: Dahon Mu P24, Trek 7300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paul2432
....and there are still commuters who don't care about others. I'm not trying to start a discussion pro vs against. I'm asking the flashers to be kind to the rest of us on the bike paths by switching their lights to the solid mode on the bike paths. That flashing lights negatively affect the nervous system has been proven.
Old 10-21-11, 01:05 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I switched to flashing mode on the road the day that I got pulled out on. I was on a straight road, the other driver had a stop sign on a T intersection. It was dawn, enough light to see without the light but I had it on anyway (550 lumen or so Magicshine), I was wearing an ANSI reflective vest, and there is a solid quarter mile of visibility there. The car just pulled up, rolled the stop sign at about 10 MPH and hit me. I saw him coming and swerved enough to just run tangent to him while pushing off his front bumper around the corner.

It turned out to be a guy I know from work. He was really shaken up and said "I swear I didn't even see you."

That day I decided that I would just bolt on more lights and make them more irritating until drivers saw me. I'll set every other bush by the side of the road on fire as the light turns on and off, if that's what it takes to get drivers to not kill me.

OTOH, I'm halfway convinced that there's absolutely nothing within the realm of reason that will absolutely guarantee that they see you. I think some drivers would "not see you" if you were riding a full-grown bull elephant painted neon green with six illuminated Christmas trees tied to it.

But IMO you have to at least try.

If I was on a bike path though, I'd definitely point the light down if I thought I needed it on flash. But since there's no such thing as a bike path anywhere within 100 miles of here, it's not something that comes up.

Generally I run on solid/low in the daytime but there are some areas where pullouts are a definite hazard and then I switch to flash.
Old 10-21-11, 01:13 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Originally Posted by Micheal Blue
....and there are still commuters who don't care about others. I'm not trying to start a discussion pro vs against. I'm asking the flashers to be kind to the rest of us on the bike paths by switching their lights to the solid mode on the bike paths. That flashing lights negatively affect the nervous system has been proven.
You know what else negatively affects the nervous system? Getting run over.
Old 10-21-11, 01:30 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
do you often get run over on a bike path? maybe if you rode a little faster, them mean grannies on their trikes wouldn't run you over!

Flashing mode on a path/MUP is kinda silly, don't you think?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-21-11, 01:35 PM
Scooby214
Saving gas on my commute

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 I do run a cheapy Cateye EL135 as a second light at night and at dawn/dusk, on flash mode. I don't get to ride on any bike paths on my commute. The reason I like the flash mode is that much of my 13.5 miles each way consists of riding through older neighborhoods. The flash helps me stand out in the midst of the trees that have rising or setting sun shining through them. This is especially important in my situation when drivers are backing out of driveways.

If I did get to ride one of my area bike paths on my commute, I'd only run my solid light and leave the flasher off.
Old 10-21-11, 01:41 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe the flashers are weight weinies and can't spare the grams that another battery would cost 'em, so they run in flash mode to maximize battery life.
Old 10-21-11, 01:46 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Originally Posted by chipcom
do you often get run over on a bike path? maybe if you rode a little faster, them mean grannies on their trikes wouldn't run you over!

No. The bike path is crossed by cars every few blocks, and pedestrians more often. Worse, many pedestrians just walk on it. Flashing lights on the bike path keep people safe. I don't know what it's like on the path the OP is talking about, maybe there's nobody around. But I can't agree with a blanket statement saying that flashing lights should not be used on the bike path.
Old 10-21-11, 01:56 PM
JimJimex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's why I have 2 front and 2 rear lights.
Stronger solid, weaker blink.
Old 10-21-11, 02:00 PM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switch to steady beam when I'm on the MUP, it's my personal preference. It takes all of two seconds. Yes I do cross some roads, but I guess I can rely upon my wits in those cases.

I got no problem with anybody using their strobe when they are on the road in any circumstance and honestly, other people using their strobes on the MUP doesn't bother me enough to start an internet forum thread about it.

People bothered by it enough to start an internet forum thread about it, however, bother me enough to respond to an internet forum thread about it.
Old 10-21-11, 02:32 PM
Shinjukan
Enthusiast

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Sportif One.0, 2011 Cannondale Synapse 6

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I too at first had some difficulty as to when to use the headlight on blink- or stay-on mode whenever I'm riding. I know I had to consider the main factors: road or MUP, fellow cyclists and pedestrians/runners/joggers/etc.

Based on what I've read from other posts and my riding experience this year, I use:

blinker mode - when it's daytime (like summer-like daytime) no matter whether I'm on the trail or on the road. I aim my light a little more horizontal; and

full-on mode - as soon as the natural light becomes a bit too dim for comfort whether on the road or on the trail. I aim my light more toward the road in order not to annoy motorists, cyclists and pedestrians.

Another way to put it: blinkers to be seen, full-on to see.
Old 10-21-11, 02:46 PM
Blues Frog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lostarchitect + 1. I like to live. I have had too many close calls. A local police captain said he would rather see the strobe and my other lights than collect my remains from the pavement with a paint scraper. Almost word for word. YMMV
Old 10-21-11, 03:03 PM
DG Going Uphill
experience over lungs

Bikes: Marin Cortina, Bianchi San Jose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flashers are a catch 22: It's really hard to judge how far away a flashing light is, which means drivers may think you are farther away than you are. But, solid lights are easy to ignore/not notice. The best plan is to have both.
Old 10-21-11, 03:50 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I use both. I make a decision when to use a flash or solid mode, don't need somebody else telling me how to use my lights.
Old 10-21-11, 04:02 PM
BSB

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 1998 Gary Fisher Joshua F4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I use both. I make a decision when to use a flash or solid mode, don't need somebody else telling me how to use my lights.
You're correct, it is absolutely your right to do what you want, regardless of how inconsiderate it is.

Personally, when faced with a bright strobe going the other way on the MUP at night, I don't dim my light or point it down like I normally do for oncoming bikes. I find it very difficult to see at night with a strobe flashing in my eyes, so I need all the help I can get from my own light.

If MUP strobe users don't like 1000 lumens shining in their eyes at night, well... "I don't need somebody else telling me how to use my lights".
Old 10-21-11, 05:11 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Yeah, I've seriously considered mounting one of my brightest lights on my helmet and turning it on just for the occasional "really bright and also strobing" oncoming bike light. Good lord those things are terrible on the mup.

Regular powered strobes - those are great, no problem with those.
Old 10-21-11, 05:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
No, what's silly is that somebody stole the disco ball on the MUP. And where did all the ladies go?
Old 10-21-11, 07:01 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Solid on the way to the bike trail due to darkness, an extra flasher when its dead of winter. Then its solid but at a lower level on the path, no need to wake the dead, just enough for me to see. As I pull out onto the road again for the final 4 miles at dawn I switch to flash. Seems logical to me.
Old 10-21-11, 07:13 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
No. The bike path is crossed by cars every few blocks, and pedestrians more often. Worse, many pedestrians just walk on it. Flashing lights on the bike path keep people safe. I don't know what it's like on the path the OP is talking about, maybe there's nobody around. But I can't agree with a blanket statement saying that flashing lights should not be used on the bike path.
IMO, if you need a flashing light to be safe on a bike path...the safety problem is the person riding the bike.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-21-11, 07:14 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
No, what's silly is that somebody stole the disco ball on the MUP. And where did all the ladies go?
Now THAT's what these folks need...front and rear mounted disco balls...the MUP will become a chick magnet!
Old 10-21-11, 07:50 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Yeah, I've seriously considered mounting one of my brightest lights on my helmet and turning it on just for the occasional "really bright and also strobing" oncoming bike light...
I've had exactly the same thought.

How hard is it to switch to flashing mode when approaching a dangerous intersection on the MUP and then back to steady afterwards? I think people are just asking for a little consideration for someone approaching. Are some of us that hellbent to be safe that we're willing to make it impossible for others to see?
Old 10-21-11, 08:01 PM
boatrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're counting on lights to save your live, good luck. I expect that every car I see will run me over, and ride accordingly. I also ride a motorcycle, with great lights, and expect that drivers are not going to see me, and am amazed at how often I'm correct. Drivers should be paying attention, and the lights help, but you'll always lose when contact is made. when bikes & cars are around each other, the law is on the side of the biker, but if you're dead, it won't matter much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.