Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting and Weight Loss

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting and Weight Loss

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 12:21 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
The initial effect of commuting and the additional aerobic activity should always cause some, but I've found you level out as your body adjusts.
it really depends on where someone is starting out. when i lost 75 pounds in my first year of bike commuting, it was because i was woefully obese at 250 pounds. when i started doing some daily cardio with the bike commuting, the weight started flying off (~10 pounds/month as i stated earlier), then i did indeed hit a plateau, where i was starving myself at 1400 calories/day and still biking 28 miles 5 times a week to continue losing weight once i got below 185. i eventually decided that getting back down to my high school weight of 170 was just not worth that much unpleasantness to me. 1400 calories/day sucks ass. it's not enough to enjoy life.

besides, i was quite pleased with the results as they were, even if i wasn't at my old high school weight:

before bike commuting.........................after bike commuting

bottom line, if you've got A LOT to lose, bike commuting can certainly help you shed pounds fast, but if you're just trying to shave off the last 15 or 20 pounds to get back down to your old high school weight, bike commuting will likely not be the silver bullet you're looking for. starving yourself is the only thing that i've found that works for those stubborn last pounds.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 11-29-11 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 01:37 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
70 miles a week of commuting doesn't do it for me, I need to do extra rides to lose weight. Really, I need to not eat like I'm commuting during periods when I'm not.
Old 11-29-11, 01:46 PM
fastbartender

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I started commuting full time I definitely feel stronger and my clothes fit better. I am sometimes ravenously hungry when I get done riding and I think this has kept me from losing much weight. I brought food home for my lady and I the other night. She was too tired to wake up--I work nights-- so I went ahead and ate it all.
Old 11-29-11, 02:03 PM
phage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know of a good site to find low calorie meals?

I've just started doing about ~75 miles a week at 5'3/135lbs, but it seems insufficient to slim down so would definitely appreciate some dietary advice!
Old 11-29-11, 02:36 PM
weshigh

Bikes: All-City Space Horse!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fastbartender
Since I started commuting full time I definitely feel stronger and my clothes fit better. I am sometimes ravenously hungry when I get done riding and I think this has kept me from losing much weight. I brought food home for my lady and I the other night. She was too tired to wake up--I work nights-- so I went ahead and ate it all.
Not sure if you are already doing this, but I found that making sure to eat something before each ride, really dropped down on my ravenously hungry moments getting home or to work.
Old 11-29-11, 02:46 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika
I probably would lose weight if I watched what I ate but after a long commute, 36 miles RT, I get home so hungry I eat up everything in sight.
If you do it right, you can lose weight without being hungry all the time. The key is to run a moderate calorie deficit, eg, 500 calories a day, and eat often so you aren't hungry. High fiber food and protein also help curb hunger. Tracking calories help you learn how much to eat and control portions. It's easy to overeat if you exercise a lot. That's partly because it can stimulate hunger but also because many of us (me included) tend to think you can eat whatever you want because you exercised. You can't, if you want to maintain or lose weight.
Old 11-29-11, 02:59 PM
El Duderino X
Hrumph!

Bikes: 2007 Dahon Cadenza w/ Alfine IGH11, modified MEC Desire w/Alfine IGH8,+ 2 ebikes: Bionx PL350 & 36V eZee FHB/Tidalforce frames.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phage
Does anyone know of a good site to find low calorie meals?
My wife likes this one. Apparently, so do I. https://www.gidiet.com/
Maybe not exactly what you're asking for but the recipes in those books helped me drop the 17lbs I needed to start riding my Dahon (max rider weight 230lbs) then drop an additional 23lbs during the first few months of riding said bicycle. So far I've managed to keep it off (the last four years). Give or take five pounds.

Last edited by El Duderino X; 11-29-11 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 04:56 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by weshigh
I've lost about 20-23lbs since I've started commuting 6 months ago. Went from 190lbs to 167/170lbs, depending on the day. The first 10lbs dropped in the first month, and then I level off for a bit, then lost the rest more gradually. My commute is about 30mile round trip. I don't really watch what I eat at all though and still drink plenty of beer.
This is pretty much me as well. Same length of time commuting, same length of commute, and similar amounts of weight loss - as well as still drinking plenty of beer!
Old 11-29-11, 04:59 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I originally lost around 50 lbs. 30 through just riding. 20 more after diet modifications. Since quitting commuting due to working from home I have lost 10 more.
Old 11-29-11, 05:13 PM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steely Dan - cool pictures. Looks like two different guys.
Sadly, at 54 I need to ride just to maintain my weight. No ride = weight gain, even if I eat reasonably healthy.
Old 11-29-11, 05:37 PM
elkootcho

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Rival, 2009 Fuji Roubaix pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute is 20 miles RT. I started over 2 years ago at about 195. Now I bounce around between 163-166. If I really try to eat well I drop to about 160.
Old 11-29-11, 06:23 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
It's easy to overeat if you exercise a lot.
I think it's also easy to undereat if you exercise a lot --- IF you're counting calories, trying to run even a moderate deficit (not extreme), yet forgetting to account for the calories burned by all that exercising.

I wonder if that's what Steely Dan was experiencing. I can't tell if his 1400 cal/day is "gross" or "net" calories, but his post reminded me of other guys I know who also tried to eat that little while exercising heavily every day and ended up feeling like crap.

For example, I did some cardio this afternoon that my Garmin claims burned just under 400 calories. If I tried eating just 1400 calories, I've got around 1000 left to do everything I need to do during the other 23 hours of my day -- and that's really not a whole lot when you think about it.

When I was using LoseIt! religiously, it guesstimated that my daily calorie budget would be 1800-1900 calories. If I exercised, I could afford to eat more; if I didn't exercise, I had to eat less. If I had a big workout or a long, fast bike ride (or shoveled snow for six hours ), I ate nearly 3000 calories.

Once I made it a habit, and after six months of doing it every single day, I didn't feel crappy or hungry, I felt... well, I felt great. 30 pounds lighter, more energetic, and just plain happier.
Old 11-29-11, 09:39 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I went down to about 1500 calories (some days less) but I made sure to eat a balanced diet with plenty of nutrition and no artificial ingredients at all. I didn't feel bad, and I was riding 350+ miles a month. I was hungry, but not starving.

Your body has plenty of calories in reserve, it just needs nutrients. If you're getting the vitamins, fiber, enzymes and enough protein, you don't really need many calories at all. Talk to your doctor, do your homework, and see what works. An all-natural/organic balanced diet did the trick for me.
Old 11-30-11, 09:25 AM
newkie
dazed and confused

Bikes: 2011 Cube Hyde Team Alfine 8 IGH, 2007 Giant Rock hardtail mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
I didn't start losing weight until I changed my diet, before that I would just eat to compensate for the burned calories.
This! I'm just that much hungrier and haven't lost anything. But at least I won't keel over from a heart attack (I hope!)
Old 11-30-11, 10:52 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika
I probably would lose weight if I watched what I ate but after a long commute, 36 miles RT, I get home so hungry I eat up everything in sight.
Have you tried eating a banana or two during your ride home? This may help stave off the food attack...

I'm 5'8", 150 lbs and only lose weight on tour doing 60-80 miles/day for months on end. Being a vegan isn't conducive to putting on weight either :/
Old 11-30-11, 12:33 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Started my car-free life three and one half months ago and have lost 16.5 kilos (37 lbs) since (my counter below started from a diet before commuting), I feel much better all around and have also lowered my stress levels (former road rage).
Old 11-30-11, 01:55 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope. I weighed the same when I started commuting by bike two years ago as I do now. Riding did help with my weight loss, but it was long before I started commuting by bike.
Old 12-01-11, 11:02 AM
cellery

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
It seems like most of us plateau after a year or so of continuous riding and diet adjustments. When I started riding I dropped about 40 lbs. in about 9 months. I had adopted a vegetarian diet a couple years earlier but the weight did not come off until I was riding just about every day, mostly from commuting. I still ride almost every day, but my average weekly mileage has tripled with the addition of fun/training rides. I still eat about the same amount as I did back when I only commuted, eating only fresh foods, but I cannot seem to get below an average 155-160 lbs. Not that I really care to, I am quite happy with my weight. I just think it is interesting how most of us seem to find some weight at which we plateau at, and it is different for each person. It probably has to do with acclimation to the particular type of exercise, and more efficient use of calories from cycling, or something like that.
Old 12-01-11, 06:03 PM
Antaresia
Snakes on a bike

Bikes: 80's CCM Mixte ~ SS 70's Apollo ~ Soma Extra Smooth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't lost much weight, but I think that's because my muscles got built up. I have a 4 mile commute, so about 40 miles per week, plus whatever bike errands I do (carfree here).

I have noticed some clothes fitting a lot better, I had one sweater that was in line for the donation bin but it fits again!. I think a big problem was that when I saw this happening, I went back to my old bad habit of having a beer after work. Basically, biking allows me drink what I want and not get fat. It's a good life.
Old 12-01-11, 08:46 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a crap load of weight to lose. Excerise is good and easy for me but eating really sucks.
Old 12-02-11, 12:24 PM
paul2432

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lost about 15 lbs after I started daily commuting 12 miles each way. When my commute went to 3/4 mile each way last March I gained 10 lbs. I'm finally getting that back under control.

Paul
Old 12-02-11, 08:32 PM
gdhillard

Bikes: 2008 Scott SUB 30, 1981 Miyata Ridge Runner, Dahon Speed 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lost 45 pounds in about 10 months. Happy.
Old 12-02-11, 09:08 PM
1242Vintage

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute is 50 miles roundtrip. When I started two years ago I commuted two days a week. Worked up to 5 days a week this year. Dropped 65 lbs along the way, going from 250 down to 185 lbs. I'm stilll losing weight, though now much slower than when I first started commuting.
Old 12-03-11, 12:23 AM
clawhammer72

Bikes: 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I started out this past summer at around 255lbs. After commuting, I've lost maybe 5lbs but I've definitely slimmed down or toned up, or whatever, and people notice a difference. The scale refuses to comply. I guess it's lost fat but gained muscle, at least I hope so.

Whatever the case, I feel great. I haven't change the diet at all, though, pretty much eating what I want. So, if I want to move forward, I'm going to have to put the fork down, as our kind roadie friends say.
Old 12-07-11, 10:50 AM
MK313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steely,

Congrats on the weight loss. The before/after pictures seriously look like two different people. Amazing.

Originally Posted by Steely Dan
it really depends on where someone is starting out. when i lost 75 pounds in my first year of bike commuting, it was because i was woefully obese at 250 pounds. when i started doing some daily cardio with the bike commuting, the weight started flying off (~10 pounds/month as i stated earlier), then i did indeed hit a plateau, where i was starving myself at 1400 calories/day and still biking 28 miles 5 times a week to continue losing weight once i got below 185. i eventually decided that getting back down to my high school weight of 170 was just not worth that much unpleasantness to me. 1400 calories/day sucks ass. it's not enough to enjoy life.

besides, i was quite pleased with the results as they were, even if i wasn't at my old high school weight:

before bike commuting.........................after bike commuting

bottom line, if you've got A LOT to lose, bike commuting can certainly help you shed pounds fast, but if you're just trying to shave off the last 15 or 20 pounds to get back down to your old high school weight, bike commuting will likely not be the silver bullet you're looking for. starving yourself is the only thing that i've found that works for those stubborn last pounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.