Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New rider need help

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New rider need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-15, 12:43 AM
JASONW322

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New rider need help

Ok so recently I bought a road bike I've been saving up for quite some time( I'm 14 years old). I love biking so I would definitely want to get into it even more. The bike is a Specialized Diverge Elite DSW 2016. I have the bike ready and stuff, but I'm missing the riding gear. I usually bike in regular shorts in the summer and even jeans in the winter. I had enough of this kinda stuff so I'm wondering if you guys can help me out and advise me on stuff. Are there beginner gear that would be nice and cheap? I'm about 5'8-9" and 167 lbs. (yup I'm quite big)
Thanks guys
Old 11-25-15, 01:36 AM
Corben

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recommend you watch this short video to get you headed in the right direction.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TEhySzO14ik
Old 11-25-15, 10:13 AM
Butchchr
Basement Lurker

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Cannondale: SR500, R4000, CAAD3 R800, CAAD5 Ironman800, Cyclocross, Six13

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hahaha I love the IFHT videos.

For cheap gear you can shop the bargain bin at Nashbar. They have their black Friday extra 20% off thing going on too. Though they seem to always have that happening.

Ebay can be a good source. I picked up a bunch of over ordered event jerseys from a Gran Fondo for $12 and change each, shipped.

As far as preferences I like bibs a whole lot more than shorts. Even though they tend to cost a little more.
I'll wear anything for a jersey, gloves, socks, and shoes. I have many different brands and styles. I go with what fits and is cheap.

On today's ride I had: Northwave shoes, smart wool socks, new balance tights, specialized bibs, craft compression shirt for a base layer, taymory jersey, and bontrager gloves. Only the bibs were purchased at full price (I really like them and sought out several pairs) everything else was on sale or a gift.
Old 11-26-15, 08:30 AM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wearing bike-specific clothing is fun. I suppose it gives a psychological boost, making one feel like a "pro." Back in the day (I won't say how long ago) I had all the stuff, including cleated shoes that you couldn't walk more than a few steps in. Without the uniform, you were ostracized by "serious" bikers.

Now, I'm back to cargo shorts and jeans. There's no big change of clothing before and after every ride. One thing I insist on, however, is high-visibility shirts and jackets for road riding, plus a helmet, of course. I have a Wolfbike fluorscent green jacket for cool weather, large enough to wear over a sweatshirt. For warm weather, a fuorescent green or orange T-shirt form Walmart is sufficient. The treatment from motorists is completely different when I'm visible.
Old 11-26-15, 12:33 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Academy Sports usually has some inexpensive shorts and jerseys that will get you started.
Old 11-26-15, 01:13 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Nashbar, Performance Bike are reputable places to purchase gear. There's also Aerotech Designs which seems to have decent prices and good selection. Do you have an REI near you? You can find decent deals on the sale rack. Now is the time to purchase discounted summer gear. In the spring, purchase the winter stuff on sale.

I like cycling specific jerseys because they have zippers and pockets in the rear. Also cycling shorts have padding. For winter riding, I buy base layers really cheap at stores like Marshalls (I scored an Under Armor long sleeve cold wear shirt for $15!) and wear that under a cycling jersey. Any technical clothing will be good at wicking away sweat and be more comfortable than cotton.

While people mention ebay, I would be wary of purchasing new cycling clothing from China; I've seen people claim that it is thin and quality is not good.

Congrats on the nice looking bike! That's quite an accomplishment to save and earn for it.
Old 11-26-15, 03:05 PM
JamesRL

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have these liners, which you can wear under regular shorts and still get the padding: MEC Ace Cycling Liner Shorts (Men's) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available Note the price is in Canadian dollars. You can probably find technical T shirts on sale at some point, I got some at a store closing, but I've seen them 50% off at Old Navy. I do wear full shorts and jerseys but having the technical shirts and liner shorts gives me other options. I do ride with a small seat pack where I can stuff my keys and a few bucks along with my spare tube.
Old 11-26-15, 11:19 PM
jgadamski

Bikes: e-bike and a steel framed roadie

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you are 14, there is a fair chance you are size small or medium, which are often the only sizes available at REI and other retailers who have a clearance department on their website. If you can fit small or medium, check out REI bargain section.
Old 11-27-15, 12:57 PM
BikingZombie

Bikes: Surly CC

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habilis
Wearing bike-specific clothing is fun. I suppose it gives a psychological boost, making one feel like a "pro." Back in the day (I won't say how long ago) I had all the stuff, including cleated shoes that you couldn't walk more than a few steps in. Without the uniform, you were ostracized by "serious" bikers.

Now, I'm back to cargo shorts and jeans. There's no big change of clothing before and after every ride. One thing I insist on, however, is high-visibility shirts and jackets for road riding, plus a helmet, of course. I have a Wolfbike fluorscent green jacket for cool weather, large enough to wear over a sweatshirt. For warm weather, a fuorescent green or orange T-shirt form Walmart is sufficient. The treatment from motorists is completely different when I'm visible.
JASONW322, pay attention to habilis' post as he hits the nail on the head.

Just wear what's comfortable and applicable to the weather. If you're doing some actual racing you might want specific gear, but in my personal opinion people put too much emphasis on having specific kits. Your profile doesn't list where you live, so I don't know if your winter riding will be snowy or just some chill, but overall wear whatever makes your ride comfortable and visible, and your destination activity do-able.

I usually prefer a wicking shirt on top with a wool longer sleeve over that when it gets colder. On bottom I wear ExOfficio Gine-n-Go Sport Mesh boxers with whatever pants, usually jeans or some cargo shorts.
Old 11-27-15, 06:38 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
What kind of climate zone are you in?
You can wear cycling shorts as underwear under windproof/leggings/cargo shorts. Jeans have very thick seams and are best avoided for extended riding.
If you layer up with cycling tops, you start to stack up on rear pockets which gets uncomfortable. No-name wickable, synthetic T-shirts and long-sleeve base layers and light fleece midlayers work as well/better in winter.
Old 11-27-15, 08:17 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I think cycling-specific shorts/pants are the ones that make the biggest difference, especially on longer rides.

Most other cycling gear has marginal advantages that you may or may not wind up liking. I do like cycling gloves and shoes with cleats. But bike shorts is the one bike-specific article of clothing that I would not want to do without.
Old 11-28-15, 10:57 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by habilis
Without the uniform, you were ostracized by "serious" bikers.
Not just the "kit", but the right bike too. I joined a cycling club recently and announced at my first ride that I was a mtn biker looking for an alternative to just riding single tracks.
Well, the looked at me in my regular shorts and shirt, cheap alum bike and concluded I would just go away. Oh, I was also taught what it means to be dropped if I can't keep up because I insisted that I could ride with a higher level than was suggested.
So, off we went and I did go away, to the front up every climb. Proving that clothing or bike are not as important as someone who just wants to ride and have a good time while doing so.
Lesson learned, just ride and have fun. To those that matter, your gear won't mind. To those that mind, your gear won't matter!