Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

In search of a shorter cargo bike to carry one kid

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

In search of a shorter cargo bike to carry one kid

Old 07-09-17, 03:44 PM
alkalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shorter cargo bike to carry one kid

I'm currently riding an ancient mountain bike with a Topeak seat on the back but need to upgrade since my kid is almost 5 and 42lbs. I live in an apartment in Brooklyn and plan to commute him on the ferry each day, so the bike needs to be short and maneuverable enough to fit in my elevator and to get on and off the ferry, but big enough to haul one kid and a few more things.

Seems like options for shorter cargo bikes are few. I'm looking at a Yuba Boda Boda V2 (6'2" end to end) and Benno Carry-On (6'1") but I'm very interested in a conversion kit if there's a shorter one out there. I ran into a guy in the park today with an Xtracycle Leap who said he thought there was. Ability to add an assist at some point would be a plus but I'm looking to stay under $1500 for now. Any ideas?

If I get the Carry-On I'll need to get a deck, pads and mini-handlebars since they're not yet making them (coming soon in 2018 but I'll need them as soon as I get the bike).

Thanks!

Last edited by alkalk; 07-09-17 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-12-17, 02:08 PM
mel2012

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Have you looked at the Bike Friday Haul-a-day? Love ours, it's a great bike: https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...es/haul-a-day/ It has the advantage of independently standing on end, so it is perfect for tight spaces. It is 6'3" at its longest setting, but you can shrink it down a little, though that would result in a more upright ride.

Another alternative would be a Cycle Truck, the sport utility bike is great, as is the beavertail, from what I've heard from friends: cargo bike, cycle trucks products

The Kinn Cascade Flyer is another option, but it is $$$$

It would be great if you could find a used Kona Minute; unfortunately Kona has yet again discontinued making new ones.

The FR8 is above your budget, plus it's so heavy it would be hard to maneuver.