Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Crashed and got a concussion, what now?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 03:24 PM
Romyan
Just a dumb freshie

Bikes: Brown Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Allez Double Steel, and Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My mom won't let me ride my folding bike that I got last week anymore after I crashed. What do I do now? Don't think I can return it back to the private seller and not sure if I can sell it easily. I can keep it but not ride it. Do you think it would be possible to convince my mom or am I just screwed.

I think I just got attached to the stupid bike.
Old 05-06-18, 04:34 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 592 Posts
Sigh,...what kind of bike is it? And convincing a parent isn't an easy thing to do - especially since you've injured yourself,...MAJORLY! I guess you didn't bother to wear a helmet?
Old 05-06-18, 05:07 PM
Romyan
Just a dumb freshie

Bikes: Brown Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Allez Double Steel, and Dahon Speed P8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Sigh,...what kind of bike is it? And convincing a parent isn't an easy thing to do - especially since you've injured yourself,...MAJORLY! I guess you didn't bother to wear a helmet?
I wore a helmet actually,but I am afraid that I impacted on it before and screwed myself up. I was riding a Dahon Speed P8, probably took "Speed" too literally haha. I am thinking I got no choice but selling it, was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by Romyan; 05-06-18 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-06-18, 05:17 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Accidents happen,...and your parents will eventually come around. I have 4 children myself,...it sometimes takes awhile for us to realize that kids need to be responsible for themselves. Be patient, and hopefully it'll work itself out.

My recommendation is to keep the bike, and ride out the storm. Mom will lighten up,...DON'T BE PUSHY! Parent's HATE pushy,...

And this is my Dahon Speed P8. I have no idea why you even considered a kick scooter,...this bike is SWEET!
Old 05-06-18, 05:36 PM
Romyan
Just a dumb freshie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Accidents happen,...and your parents will eventually come around. I have 4 children myself,...it sometimes takes awhile for us to realize that kids need to be responsible for themselves. Be patient, and hopefully it'll work itself out.

My recommendation is to keep the bike, and ride out the storm. Mom will lighten up,...DON'T BE PUSHY! Parent's HATE pushy,...

And this is my Dahon Speed P8. I have no idea why you even considered a kick scooter,...this bike is SWEET!

My dad's stance is more of a acknowledge your mistake and walk it out, and pay more attention next time. As he used to skateboard when he was younger. On the other hand, my mom is very protective and said I cannot ride the bike ever and that it isn't safe. No riding under any circumstances, as it isn't safe and is unstable. So my dad saying that he would allow me, but won't as my mom is being protective and that she doesn't want the same to happen, so I can't. If I can somehow eventually ride the bike, I will probably replace my handlebars bolt with a normal one rather than quick release. Although it was still straight, I had situations where my wheel and handlebar got unaligned and I saved myself. Still confused on how I crashed though, most of my injuries are on my left side so I think I fell on my left and I think I stayed conscious as I pulled in to my driveway, but forgot how I crashed, also forgot what I ate for lunch and breakfast. Although I remember now, I feel mostly normal.
Old 05-06-18, 05:44 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Romyan
My dad's stance is more of a acknowledge your mistake and walk it out, and pay more attention next time. As he used to skateboard when he was younger. On the other hand, my mom is very protective and said I cannot ride the bike ever and that it isn't safe. No riding under any circumstances, as it isn't safe and is unstable. So my dad saying that he would allow me, but won't as my mom is being protective and that she doesn't want the same to happen, so I can't. If I can somehow eventually ride the bike, I will probably replace my handlebars bolt with a normal one rather than quick release. Although it was still straight, I had situations where my wheel and handlebar got unaligned and I saved myself. Still confused on how I crashed though, most of my injuries are on my left side so I think I fell on my left and I think I stayed conscious as I pulled in to my driveway, but forgot how I crashed, also forgot what I ate for lunch and breakfast. Although I remember now, I feel mostly normal.
OK,...I see what's going on here. You bought a used bike, and you rode it AS IS, without getting a bike shop to check it out. Not good,...

Take the bike to a BIKE SHOP, get it checked out, tell them what the problems with it are, and they'll make sure it's safe for you.

The huge mistake you made was buying a bike (used OR new, it needs a safety check by someone who actually KNOWS what they're doing), and then just riding it. Even if you wen over it, you still don't have enough experience with a folding bike. Take it in, get it tuned up, Mom might come around. As it is right now, it's not safe to ride. I'd be pissed off at you as well.

PS: Keep the quick release on the handlebars. It's not the reason the bars are moving, unless you need to replace it. LEARN BEFORE YOU RIDE AGAIN!
Old 05-06-18, 06:00 PM
Romyan
Just a dumb freshie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK,...I see what's going on here. You bought a used bike, and you rode it AS IS, without getting a bike shop to check it out. Not good,...

Take the bike to a BIKE SHOP, get it checked out, tell them what the problems with it are, and they'll make sure it's safe for you.

The huge mistake you made was buying a bike (used OR new, it needs a safety check by someone who actually KNOWS what they're doing), and then just riding it. Even if you wen over it, you still don't have enough experience with a folding bike. Take it in, get it tuned up, Mom might come around. As it is right now, it's not safe to ride. I'd be pissed off at you as well.

PS: Keep the quick release on the handlebars. It's not the reason the bars are moving, unless you need to replace it. LEARN BEFORE YOU RIDE AGAIN!
I actually did take it to a bike shop, and the guy told me that they can perform a tune up the 15th. However, the guy told me that the bike is perfectly ok to ride and that I should take it easy. I think being the roadie and partly mountain biker I am, I rode too quickly and there was something wrong. I actually told my dad the defense that it needs a tune up and he told me that the bike shop person told me that the bike was perfectly rideable. I will need to find a way to use the "it needs a tune-up" defense better eventually or hope he forgets and I slide by both. However, I can tell my mom to take me to the shop and have her watch the person fix things. Maybe tell her something was wrong, but that may be a bit evil.
Old 05-06-18, 06:03 PM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
And, of course, get a new helmet. The old one gave its life for yours. It might help in bringing Mom around, too.
Then get a haircut, and take out the garbage, and do your homework...
Old 05-06-18, 06:15 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I actually did take it to a bike shop, and the guy told me that they can perform a tune up the 15th. However, the guy told me that the bike is perfectly ok to ride and that I should take it easy. I think being the roadie and partly mountain biker I am, I rode too quickly and there was something wrong. I actually told my dad the defense that it needs a tune up and he told me that the bike shop person told me that the bike was perfectly rideable. I will need to find a way to use the "it needs a tune-up" defense better eventually or hope he forgets and I slide by both. However, I can tell my mom to take me to the shop and have her watch the person fix things. Maybe tell her something was wrong, but that may be a bit evil.
Please don't double quote me,...it's kind of redundant.

Apparently the bike needed a tune-up. The handlebars being loose proved this point. Unless the bike shop mech is a complete idiot when it comes to folding bikes, I'd say it wasn't safe to ride. Get it done, or give up and sell it. The choice is yours,...

Originally Posted by SJM205
And, of course, get a new helmet. The old one gave its life for yours. It might help in bringing Mom around, too.
I agree on the "getting a new helmet" part,...but what useful information are you willing to provide? Your sarcasm isn't helping with the discussion,...is it.
Old 05-06-18, 06:22 PM
Romyan
Just a dumb freshie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotta get a haircut actually, and my mom is getting involved in my helmet purchase.
Old 05-07-18, 03:18 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will probably replace my handlebars bolt with a normal one rather than quick release.

Although it was still straight, I had situations where my wheel and handlebar got unaligned and I saved myself. Still confused on how I crashed though,...
This is where your mistakes are. Stopp messing with the bike until you fully understand it!!

You had situations where your wheel and handllebar got unaligned and you kept riding without fixing it properly?? Sounds like you are more dangerous than the bike! A bike is only as dangerous as its keeper.

I would not trust a bike mechanic unless I KNEW he had proper knowledge about the bike. You can read again and again in this forum peopel having problems with taking folders lo LBS`s. Also you need to understand that riding with small wheels needs some time to get used to, they are much more "twitchy" than bigger wheels but no problem as soon as you get used to it. I am begining to understand your mom, she knows you better than we do and she knows what she can expect..

Rememnber you`ve got only one head and I do not expect that your insurance covers a new one...

Selling that bike is a shame so you`d better hide it until she forgets or until you are older. Hide it in a place she does not go, maybe even at a friends place. Other than that I think you need to prove to your mother that you are mature enough to ride the bike.Take a look around and study the situation of peopel with serious injurys in the country you live in and you`ll understand why your mother is worryed.
Old 05-07-18, 09:44 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Go online and read about MIPS helmets then convince your Mom you actually did a little research and know what can keep you safe.

Admit that you overlooked some issues with the bike because you were so excited to have a new toy - and that you have learned an
important lesson. Print out a bike "safety checklist" that you will perform before each ride. Show her the checklist.

The only way to change her mind is to change your behavior. Show her you respect her concerns about your safety and are taking them seriously.
Wear a good helmet, do a safety check every time before you ride. Agree to just ride the bike around your block until she agrees you have sufficient control to venture further on it. If you have a cell phone, offer to text her frequently when you are out riding (obviously, STOP riding when you text) to allay her concerns.

As a Mom, I promise you if you show her you are taking her worries and concerns seriously, she will respond positively. She just wants you to grow up, and not kill yourself before you get that chance.
Old 05-07-18, 09:52 AM
Romyan
Just a dumb freshie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
This is where your mistakes are. Stopp messing with the bike until you fully understand it!!

You had situations where your wheel and handllebar got unaligned and you kept riding without fixing it properly?? Sounds like you are more dangerous than the bike! A bike is only as dangerous as its keeper.

I would not trust a bike mechanic unless I KNEW he had proper knowledge about the bike. You can read again and again in this forum peopel having problems with taking folders lo LBS`s. Also you need to understand that riding with small wheels needs some time to get used to, they are much more "twitchy" than bigger wheels but no problem as soon as you get used to it. I am begining to understand your mom, she knows you better than we do and she knows what she can expect..

Rememnber you`ve got only one head and I do not expect that your insurance covers a new one...

Selling that bike is a shame so you`d better hide it until she forgets or until you are older. Hide it in a place she does not go, maybe even at a friends place. Other than that I think you need to prove to your mother that you are mature enough to ride the bike.Take a look around and study the situation of peopel with serious injurys in the country you live in and you`ll understand why your mother is worryed.
Yeah my cousin offered buying it so that may keep it in the family and then I can maybe buy it back, not sure if I have any friends willing to store it. Hoping, I can just hold onto it though and just have it stored in my garage. I feel that she may be over it by the end of summer. I got used to riding small wheels and have no problems on riding it. I have no idea how I crashed or how I got home.
Old 05-07-18, 03:29 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
You should be able to fold it and stash it in your room or something for the summer. Use that time to fully understand the bike and make sure the handlebar mast is clamped correctly to the stem. My guess - based on what you've reported - is the front wheel moved independently of the mast and dumped you on your head. You're lucky you're not in worse shape, kid.
Old 05-08-18, 11:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Wear your bike helmet, ? Did you, I took a spill friday , just a bruise this time*, I have seen the error in my ways.

Helmet & bikes are to be a fixed pair again..

*cracked a bone in my wrist , trying to stop the fall.. it will heal in a couple months..
Old 05-08-18, 12:13 PM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Me and son is wery lazy with helmets these days. I think we need to learn from your experiences and start using them again.
Old 05-09-18, 05:33 AM
DLBroox

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
I don't know. None of this conversation makes any sense to me. You have other bikes listed in your profile and you've asked other questions on bikeforums. Why is it your mother seems to have such a distaste for this particular bike? You're not new to bike riding apparently. How old did you say you are?
Old 05-10-18, 09:47 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Well that ended weirdly!
Old 05-11-18, 02:50 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

And you wondered why I cancelled our transaction,...
Old 05-11-18, 03:31 PM
SJM205

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Please don't double quote me,...it's kind of redundant.

I agree on the "getting a new helmet" part,...but what useful information are you willing to provide? Your sarcasm isn't helping with the discussion,...is it.
Relax Grump. Your lessons on forum decorum are annoying, and don't add much to the discussion either.
Old 05-11-18, 03:37 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Relax Grump. Your lessons on forum decorum are annoying, and don't add much to the discussion either.
Actually, I did add to the discussion,...but what would you know,... posting usless inanely sarcastic drivel.

Enjoy your day!
Old 05-12-18, 05:47 AM
SJM205

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So I've upped my game from "sarcastic" to "inanely sarcastic". (See how I double-quoted you there?)
Old 05-12-18, 08:25 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I'm so thrilled,...
Old 05-16-18, 05:43 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 410 Posts
Wait for your mom to relax. When I was 13, I did an Evil Knievel stunt which netted me a concussion, a broken collar bone, and a week-long case of amnesia to boot. My mom swore she would never let me ride a bike again. A few months later, after the bone healed, and I could finally remember how to get around my neighborhood again, I was back on my bike (a different one, the one I crashed on broke in half). A dozen years later I was racing around North America and Europe.
Old 05-17-18, 04:43 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
IF there really is something wrong (vs. you didn't learn how to lock the handlebar), I think accepting full responsibility is best. *I* rode too fast. *I* didn't take the time to learn how the bike handles. *I* will let my brain recover fully before risking another concussion....

As a parent, that would resonate better with me. Of course, if there IS something actually wrong with the bike then it's both the taking responsibility *and* the fix it defense.

I've got a Dahon D7, and I find the handlebar locking a bit odd. Once it's locked it's solid (although the handling is a lot more temperamental than a road or mountain bike). And the first time I climbed a steep hill I did an inadvertent wheelie..so if you are the kind of rider to just go "pedal to the metal" I can appreciate your mother's point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.