Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Found A Bike Rack On My Commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-18, 10:15 AM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

Any idea what rack this is? I don't recognize the logo, but it looks like a lower-case b. I could only guess Blackburn, but it doesn't look quite like any Blackburn's I'm familiar with.

I really had to go to the minimum adjustment with the struts ... I'm not sure it's appropriate to go this far, maybe I should saw the extra off?

Found this rack near someone's trash can on my way to work this morning.

Last edited by specialmonkey; 11-02-18 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-02-18, 10:23 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
sorry can't help, but just lying in the road? score! if those stays aren't getting in the way, you can just keep them & the rack might be useful on another bike some time in the future ... I've got 1 rack that I've been periodically torturing from bike to bike since 2008 but it may be giving up the ghost soon, cuz I recently had to re-rig a cpl retaining screws ... plus they make them so much lighter now

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-02-18 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-02-18, 10:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by specialmonkey
Any idea what rack this is? I don't recognize the logo, but it looks like a lower-case b. I could only guess Blackburn, but it doesn't look like any Blackburn's I'm familiar with.

I really had to go to the minimum adjustment with the struts ... I'm not sure it's appropriate to go this far, maybe I should saw the extra off?

Found this rack near someone's trash can on my way to work this morning.
It's a Bontrager BackRack. Not a bad looking rack over all. Your's looks like it's not quite level and you could stand to cut off the rack stays.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-02-18, 10:32 AM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
@rumrunn6 Good idea about the struts. I was riding on the sidewalk to approach a particularly scary intersection and noticed it behind someone's trash can! I almost told myself I didn't need it because it didn't look like it would fit initially, then I thought better of it when I realized the struts were adjustable. But even then I wasn't sure it would work until I got to work to try it out. I had to swap screws with ones that were on my frame to hold a second water bottle, luckily they were long enough (the ones holding the fender originally were not), I used the originals to hold the struts. I rode to work, 2 miles into a 10 mile commute, with it in my left hand which was also on the left side of the drop bar, but I could only brake and shift with my right, which seemed like the most versatile choice (though I'd normally prefer a front brake if I have to choose ). I almost stopped to zip tie it to my backpack (good to carry zip ties)!

@cyccommute Thanks for the ID and suggestions!

Last edited by specialmonkey; 11-02-18 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-02-18, 10:45 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
You see these from time to time. This happens when a non-disc bike molts and enters its disc phase of life. It molts and throws off the old skin and rack. If you hang around, you might be able to spot the newly-emerged disc bike in the vicinity.

(Great find!)
Old 11-02-18, 12:37 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
You see these from time to time. This happens when a non-disc bike molts and enters its disc phase of life. It molts and throws off the old skin and rack. If you hang around, you might be able to spot the newly-emerged disc bike in the vicinity.

(Great find!)
Old 11-02-18, 02:01 PM
jeffpoulin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Stewart beat me to it, but yeah, it's a Bontrager. I have the BackRack Deluxe L on my old mountain bike. Great rack. The stays are meant to be cut once you have the right fit.
Old 11-02-18, 08:36 PM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
As said above, its a bontrager backrack. I have 2 of them in disc format on my bikes, and I can't speak highly enough of them. Good quality, pretty darn sturdy (wrecked my mountain bike pretty hard with one attached and it fared better than me, couple good scuffs) and if you get the bontrager specific bag its set up for quick release. Nice find!