Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Prostrate cancer - does frequent emissions help?

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 06:58 AM
Machoman121

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

I've got a theory that my ahem......frequent emissions of at least once a week (2nd hobby) - mostly DIY, occasionally by wifey if i've been a good boy, helps to keep prostrate cancer away. I'm only 55 this year so i guess it's still early to confirm the theory but i wonder if any older males here would like to chime in their opinion.

A month ago a female colleague was open enough to tell that her dad's doctor blamed lack of sex to her dad having prostrate cancer. She confirmed that her parents' sex life has been nearly non existent ever since they aged - they are now in the 70s.

So far genetically no one in the family we know has prostrate cancer.

It'll be nice to know that at least one 'bad' habit turns out to be good !

Another potential issue - wifey did warn that i'll have to undergo vasectomy soon as she wants to stop taking the pills so that'll wreck my great plan of relying on 'curing' myself via my 2nd hobby.
Old 04-27-19, 07:14 AM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Don't help. Believe me, I tried.

But, my family has a history of cancer and prostate cancer. If pre-disposed it's gonna happen.

BTW, I had yearly PSA tests that I requested. It went up from 0.0 to 2.5, 2.9 a week later. I demanded a prostate biopsy (should have gone to another doctor), two months later I got one. Turns out it was as bad as it gets. Two months later a prostatectomy.

By that time it had spread out to my bones. I am currently on testosterone suppressant injections. And this is not fun.

So, have your fun. But get checked, get a good doctor and a second opinion.

:-)
Old 04-27-19, 07:33 AM
rayooo

Bikes: Superfly-9.6, Domane-4.5 Emonda-SLR 9

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I seem to recall urban-legend that stated yes, frequent "emissions" helped reduce Prostate Cancer... I also think I read that there's no real scientific proof of this.

No matter what the case, I'm from the school that frequent is better.. much better.
Old 04-27-19, 07:38 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Kidding, of course.

Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 04-27-19, 09:46 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I read a study that said 26 emissions a month reduced the risk of prostate cancer. I'd have to go look for the study, but I remember thinking "that's a lot of work!"
Likes For Wheever:
Old 04-27-19, 10:15 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Too bad there's no dipstick on the prostate, so that you could check and see if the fluid needs to be changed.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 04-28-19, 10:28 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Kidding, of course.

I heard you will go blind and go to Hell. Dang, why do I wear glasses but seriously I would get tested and forget folklore or urban legends and let medical professionals do there stuff. And yes Lemond 1985 I left the door open for Texas jokes lol.
Old 04-28-19, 10:50 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Too bad there's no dipstick on the prostate, so that you could check and see if the fluid needs to be changed.
And where, pray tell, would you put the stick. Never mind, forget that I asked.
Old 04-29-19, 02:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Couldn't hurt.

True story (and it must be a true story because I'm beginning this true story with the opener "true story")...

Years ago I told my second wife an old joke from my military days, where most jokes were either too crude or too obscure and meta to translate to civilians without a tedious explanation that spoils the joke. But I figured she'd appreciate it.

If I'm remembering the joke correctly, a young newlywed couple are still embarrassed about intimacy and agree to refer to sex as "doing the laundry." I don't remember the punchline. Maybe I told it wrong, but my wife didn't seem to think it was funny.

So, awhile later, we're feeling frisky but I've been working outdoors all day and I need a shower. I make it a quick one but when I get out of the shower my wife is already rolled over and snoozing. I said "Hey! I thought you were feeling frisky?"

She said "I was but you took too long in the shower. I already did a load by hand."

I'm pretty sure that was supposed to have been the punchline I screwed up in telling her the joke.
Old 05-02-19, 07:06 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Years ago I was having what they thought were chronic UTI's (turned out to be a basty case of diverticulitis). In the meantime the doc did a prostate exam and said it was "mushy" and that I needed more frequent emissions. No problem.

I was also told that even if I had it, it wasn't likely to kill you, most people die of something else.
Old 05-02-19, 09:55 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by frogbiscuit
Years ago I was having what they thought were chronic UTI's (turned out to be a basty case of diverticulitis). In the meantime the doc did a prostate exam and said it was "mushy" and that I needed more frequent emissions. No problem.

I was also told that even if I had it, it wasn't likely to kill you, most people die of something else.
And that is very true; HOWEVER, "..... Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in men in the United States. It is estimated that 31,620 deaths from this disease will occur this year. However, the death rate has dropped by more than half from 1993 to 2016. A man’s individual survival depends on the type of prostate cancer and the stage of the disease. There are almost 3 million survivors of prostate cancer in the United States today...... "

ABOVE FROM https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/...cer/statistics

https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/...ges-and-grades

p.s. --- I am a "Gleason Group 5 = Gleason 9 or 10 " with mine being Gleason 10. I had treatment in 2015 then last year a recurrence and will simply live life to the fullest and will not be surprised if metastasis occurs.
Old 05-02-19, 12:35 PM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I get it. Two of my brothers and I have had thyroid cancer, three different types, only one proved to be fatal.
Old 05-02-19, 04:08 PM
crobertrose
Rider

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1978 Peugeot, 1988 Bridgestone RB2, 1990 Trek 830, 2018 Fuji Jari 1.3

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
PSA's that have been as high as 23, 2x's a year testing and 4 biopsies, 3 MRI's and a boat load of exams and no cancer yet. Father had it so the odds are not in my favor. Started riding again after many years off the bike. Riding did hurt inside at first but other than raising my PSA score if tested within a week of riding no problem.

It is what it is.

Last edited by crobertrose; 05-02-19 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 05-02-19, 04:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Medical small talk with Dr. friends ... Prostates all get cancerous cell growth, as you get old ,

some are just growing so slowly you die of something else, first ...
Old 05-04-19, 03:41 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by frogbiscuit
I get it. Two of my brothers and I have had thyroid cancer, three different types, only one proved to be fatal.
Ditto. I had surgery in November for thyroid cancer. They removed only the affected lobe, hoping the other half would jump start and work again. They wanted to retain the parathyroid because I'm also in the early stage of osteoporosis, despite exercise and good diet.

But that nagging doubt is always there. Even though thyroid cancer is among the least likely to metastasize. Supposedly the thyroid calcifies and encapsulates the cancer. But biopsies can seed the cancer and I had three biopsies last year. I knew the risks, though.

My next endocrinology appointment was supposed to have been October, but they moved it up to June after some recent imaging diagnostics. No explanation of why. But now I get nervous if I have any difficulty swallowing or feel a slight lump in the throat. Probably just allergies. But that nagging doubt is always there.
Old 05-07-19, 06:26 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Yes, but...

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Medical small talk with Dr. friends ... Prostates all get cancerous cell growth, as you get old ,

some are just growing so slowly you die of something else, first ...
I just lost a friend a few weeks ago who was told that, but the cancer may have spread out of the prostate to, well, multiple organs. Get checked, and *watch for symptoms!*
Old 05-07-19, 06:36 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by crobertrose
PSA's that have been as high as 23, 2x's a year testing and 4 biopsies, 3 MRI's and a boat load of exams and no cancer yet. Father had it so the odds are not in my favor. Started riding again after many years off the bike. Riding did hurt inside at first but other than raising my PSA score if tested within a week of riding no problem.

It is what it is.
That’s similar to my situation. I finally had two biopsies done at John Hopkins before they found cancer. My urologist told me before that with a PSA at 20, it’s not a question of cancer or not but finding it. There are multiple ways of doing biopsies so my advice is find a place that gives you peace of mind.
Old 05-07-19, 06:38 PM
crobertrose
Rider

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1978 Peugeot, 1988 Bridgestone RB2, 1990 Trek 830, 2018 Fuji Jari 1.3

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
That’s similar to my situation. I finally had two biopsies done at John Hopkins before they found cancer. My urologist told me before that with a PSA at 20, it’s not a question of cancer or not but finding it. There are multiple ways of doing biopsies so my advice is find a place that gives you peace of mind.
PSA's are way down now. I remain positive and follow the Doc's order
Old 05-07-19, 06:45 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Originally Posted by crobertrose
PSA's are way down now. I remain positive and follow the Doc's order
Thats a good sign then
Old 05-08-19, 10:58 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

A PSA of 20 does not in and of itself mean PCa (Prostate Cancer) is present. Your urologist is wrong to suggest that a high PSA indicates PCa.

With a high PSA the first action taken should be a 3TmpMRI and not a biopsy. The MRI is non-invasive and does not cause issues that can follow a biopsy, one of which can be a very bad infection if a TRUS biopsy is performed.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 05-08-19 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-08-19, 05:18 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
A PSA of 20 does not in and of itself mean PCa (Prostate Cancer) is present. Your urologist is wrong to suggest that a high PSA indicates PCa.

With a high PSA the first action taken should be a 3TmpMRI and not a biopsy. The MRI is non-invasive and does not cause issues that can follow a biopsy, one of which can be a very bad infection if a TRUS biopsy is performed.
I posted without providing details. My urologist, which is the hospital chief, made that statement speaking very briefly. Of course an infection was ruled out first. Based upon my pattern of continual PSA level rising over a five year period, the model showed an 86% chance of cancer even though four biopsies, MRI, and other tests were negative. I was fortunate to have one of the top urologists in the country take over my case when he and another doctor found it.
Old 05-08-19, 05:39 PM
OldTryGuy

I posted without providing details. My urologist, which is the hospital chief, made that statement speaking very briefly. Of course an infection was ruled out first. Based upon my pattern of continual PSA level rising over a five year period, the model showed an 86% chance of cancer even though four biopsies, MRI, and other tests were negative. I was fortunate to have one of the top urologists in the country take over my case when he and another doctor found it.
YUP, it's all in the details, , and hoping your eventual Gleason Score with diagnosis was no where near as bad as my Gleason 10. Good luck.
Old 05-08-19, 05:59 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
YUP, it's all in the details, , and hoping your eventual Gleason Score with diagnosis was no where near as bad as my Gleason 10. Good luck.
Mine wasn’t that bad. Good luck to you as well. If your positive attitude is any indication, you’ll be posting here for 30 years
Old 05-11-19, 05:41 AM
Machoman121

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi
Don't help. Believe me, I tried.

:-)
Damnit. All that hardwork to no avail.

As we are now learning - (new theory) genetics has a lot to do with how susceptible we are to these predicaments...even more so than diet - probably.
Old 05-11-19, 06:57 AM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
This is my theory that my frequent emissions probably kept my PSA artificially low, but I knew something wasn't right and demanded a biopsy.

And after two months I had the biopsy and it came back with Gleasons of multiple 9's, 8's.. The MRI(?) revealed the prostate had swollen abnormally over one of the nerves and that the prostate-ectomy would only save one nerve. BTW, I have feeling there so that part is fine.

And note, the first couple emissions after the biopsy are much more bloody than the doc will let on. So, best not do it with your partner around.

And a word of advice. If you get the chance to go to Hopkins, go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.