Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Oof. I can see the future - you're going to heckle me...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Oof. I can see the future - you're going to heckle me...

Old 05-23-19, 12:10 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Are you turning them into 70's Masis?
Oh Snap!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-23-19, 01:55 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by La Brea Bike

This is what one day gets you.
I'm not the expert some of the folks here so I may be more typical of the average viewer. I am going to say you did great in the short time you had. Most people will never have a clue.
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 05-23-19, 02:19 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 984 Posts
Looks great! Even without the time frame. It'll still suck to see some get destroyed because a bike is such a useful object, and Raleigh did a lot right on these ones (and many others). This isn't even their cheapest, so that'll hurt some. At least the classics are safe...
Old 05-23-19, 05:23 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Looks great. Was cost a factor in not going with a leather Brooks saddle?
Old 05-23-19, 05:28 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
And when the movie comes out, just think of all the nit-pickers who will trash the "repro"

How about checking craigslist and buying up a bunch of closer fitting bikes and modding them?
Present.

Tell the producers to put that in his pipe, and smoke it.
Old 05-23-19, 05:32 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
I got the task of turning 2019 Raleigh Grand Sports into late 70's "vintage" looking bikes for a movie... I have one day to do a test build for approval. I know.

If they had given me a couple weeks I could have found multiple actual vintage frames to build to the exact same spec (these will be one bike in the movie).

We're doing a drivetrain swap with earlier gen 105 stuff to change to silver groupo. I know, but it's our best option for multiple quantities of parts in this time frame. We are swapping over to Dia-Compe Non Aero Levers, but having the threadless stem is killing me visually. I'm currently thinking black to minimize visibility... Anyone have any recommendations for things in my control? Seriously, I know frame and fork are impossible to be made to mimic a traditional bike. The frames will be painted by the studio.

https://www.raleighusa.com/grand-sport
If the movie has one bicycle, why do you need several? If you need a vintage look, seems it's easier to use an early '70s Grand Prix or some such.

And if you only have a day to deliver, get off the 'Net and start wrenching! Got work to do, bud!
Old 05-23-19, 05:41 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Not bad, definitely more subtle. The first one will arrive any time. We're preparing for the thrash.

If you're going to source from V-O, talk to them first about quantity and availability. The old V-O at least, seemed to run out of items rather quickly, suggesting they did not stock enough to handle the demand.
Old 05-23-19, 05:42 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
If the movie has one bicycle, why do you need several? If you need a vintage look, seems it's easier to use an early '70s Grand Prix or some such.
Not saying the following is the exact scenario, but here are a few potential reasons:

Hero bike, bike with camera rig mounted to it, hero bike for second unit, three bikes for destruction if first two takes don't work, fourth destruction bike pre-damaged to achieve proper visual effect following crash.

They had over 15 different cases for the nuclear launch device in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Each case had various levels of damage, and some of them were made from soft rubber so you could whack someone in the face with them. They had half of a step van full of 'em.

-Kurt

Old 05-23-19, 05:56 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by 20grit
Things that could help:
Gum colored hoods.
Ditch the ergo bars for a normal drop bar in aluminum finish.
Frame-color matching cloth tape.
Contrasting color headtube. If there are no closeup shots, you could fake in some lug lining to make it look like there are lugs. If there is always an accenting color hitting the "lugs", it will be a little more convincing.
Silver or white cable housing.
Fake some chrome on to the fork and rear triangle.
Maybe some pin striping running the length of the fork to accentuate the length and make it look less chunky?
Frame pump
Skewer with aluminum finish instead of black
Tubular tire carrier

I would say take the coloring scheme from the green and black Raleigh Grand Prix or any early '70s Schwinn Varsinental. Get B17 or leather substitute saddles, with silver setback seat posts, also black handlebar tape, preferably Tressostar or other cotton. Saddle installations without setback was not heard of. Instant recognition on-screen as a "vintage" bike would seem to be the point. I think the reference to tubulars will be lost on all but the dweebs, like us.

Is 105 available in silver and with short cage derailleurs? Hilly or flat? Will these prop bikes actually be ridden before getting run over, or whatever?

I really like the idea of painting in lugs and lug lines - I think that will be effective camoflage on-camera. If there's a close-up you need a "beauty spot" model, real lugs, possibly real geometry. Buy one 1970 Grand Prix for that purpose.

Also, seat tube color band - follow the Grand Prix pattern.
Old 05-23-19, 05:58 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by cudak888
How to do it the #disrespectedcinema way:

Get some black Oracal vinyl and some gold automobile trim stripes. Get the first gold Raleigh decals you can get your hands on, or peel off the ones on the production bike if you can. Make black downtube and top tube bands a-la Raleigh Grand Prix with the black vinyl, and trim the ends in gold. Stick gold Raleigh decals on top. Spray bomb all dark bits chrome silver.

Done, profit made.

We will all wait patiently to b!tch at the prop department when the show comes out.

Important: Who gets the junkers?

-Kurt
Ohhhh yeah!
Old 05-23-19, 06:27 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Road Fan

And if you only have a day to deliver, get off the 'Net and start wrenching! Got work to do, bud!
I have an even better question: why is your photo horizontal?

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Does the bike belong to the production or is it a loaner you intend to ride? It looks great.
Old 05-23-19, 08:49 AM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL

Does the bike belong to the production or is it a loaner you intend to ride? It looks great.
Bought and pre-paid for.

Last minute picture. I had to crop the hell out of it.

The presence of the trash can seemed to suggest that I was begging for it

Last edited by La Brea Bike; 05-23-19 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-23-19, 08:56 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Bought and pre-paid for.

Last minute picture. I had to crop the hell out of it.
That's not bad at all considering the time constraint. Tell them to fix the sloping top tube in post...

Needs an orange safety flag.

Lemme guess, they hemmed and hawed and procrastinated for months, then they needed it tomorrow?
Old 05-23-19, 09:13 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by KraneXL

Krane, you mean MY photo? The true answer is, I got sick of correcting it and having BF then decide I am wrong and turn it back sideways. I guess I'm due to try again someday soon.
Old 05-23-19, 09:53 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
I think you did a very good job considering how much time you had.

Maybe one of the actors will try to take one home, thinking it will be valuable one day, only to find out...

Important question: Who is the crazy North Korean running around your neighborhood and writing on walls?
Old 05-23-19, 10:04 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 215 Posts
Reading this thread reminds me of the one time I helped get a bike ready for the spotlights. I was working for a company that sponsored a number of athletes, among them a mountain bike racer. Company was getting ready to open a store that would include memorabilia from its various athletes.
Arrangements had been made with the rider to one of his bikes at the end of the season. We would had over the bike to the folks opening the store, and that would be that.
Except.....store opening was delayed. When it was time to start sending props to store, we contacted the rider. Turns out when we didn’t ask for the bike on the original schedule, he figured we didn’t want it. So he sold it.
Now we don’t have the promised bike, we are getting pushed from the store to deliver it, and on top that, the model had only been distributed to factory team riders. So we go to the bike company. They have one of these bikes left and they sold it to us. Don’t recall the exact price, but there was a lot of push back when the expense report went in.
So now we have a bike that is supposed to have been raced but it looks brand new. Because it is. We pull off the tires, replacing them with worn tires of the same model. We drop the bike a few times. We drag it around a parking lot to add some scrapes. Our prep is concluded after pushing the bike down a flight of stairs several times. With that, we turned the bike over team opening the store.
Several months later, we go to the store opening. We are expecting that someone will spot our deception. Nope. Turns out, the store designers had a change in vision. All of the memorabilia from all of the athletes was on display, but it has been painted a neutral color, and hung from the ceiling. All of the money and effort we put into that bike? With how it was used, we could have bought something off the floor at Kmart and it just would not have mattered.
And no, the bike is no longer there. The store moved. The displays were tossed.
Old 05-23-19, 10:29 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Reading this thread reminds me of the one time I helped get a bike ready for the spotlights. I was working for a company that sponsored a number of athletes, among them a mountain bike racer. Company was getting ready to open a store that would include memorabilia from its various athletes.
Arrangements had been made with the rider to one of his bikes at the end of the season. We would had over the bike to the folks opening the store, and that would be that.
Except.....store opening was delayed. When it was time to start sending props to store, we contacted the rider. Turns out when we didn’t ask for the bike on the original schedule, he figured we didn’t want it. So he sold it.
Now we don’t have the promised bike, we are getting pushed from the store to deliver it, and on top that, the model had only been distributed to factory team riders. So we go to the bike company. They have one of these bikes left and they sold it to us. Don’t recall the exact price, but there was a lot of push back when the expense report went in.
So now we have a bike that is supposed to have been raced but it looks brand new. Because it is. We pull off the tires, replacing them with worn tires of the same model. We drop the bike a few times. We drag it around a parking lot to add some scrapes. Our prep is concluded after pushing the bike down a flight of stairs several times. With that, we turned the bike over team opening the store.
Several months later, we go to the store opening. We are expecting that someone will spot our deception. Nope. Turns out, the store designers had a change in vision. All of the memorabilia from all of the athletes was on display, but it has been painted a neutral color, and hung from the ceiling. All of the money and effort we put into that bike? With how it was used, we could have bought something off the floor at Kmart and it just would not have mattered.
Moral?
Old 05-23-19, 10:48 AM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

we could have bought something off the floor at Kmart and it just would not have mattered.
Wow... painful waste of time...
Old 05-23-19, 10:54 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
there is store in a big local mall (I don't go too often) that has a couple of beautiful C*V bike (celeste Bianchi, full campy) IN MY SIZE no interest in getting rid of, but i fear that if it closes the "old bikes" will get trashed

Old 05-23-19, 10:56 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts

With all the constraints that is a really nice job.... only us freaks will notice the sloping top tube and I bet it is lest noticable with some one on the bike

Old 05-23-19, 11:17 AM
La Brea Bike

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Important question: Who is the crazy North Korean running around your neighborhood and writing on walls?
Thats pretty tame for this area. They call it Hollyweird for a reason.
Old 05-23-19, 04:33 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts

This is great! Nice work, especially given the restraints. You could also easily remove those shiny bolts on the seatstay rack mounts. Not many vintage roadies had those. Btw, have you ever worked with Coco's Variety? Pretty cool little bike shop and prop rental place in LA that I have been following on Instagram for a while. I visited it when I was down there. They also appreciate the vintage.
Old 05-23-19, 05:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Eddie Pepitone heckles himself.

[nsfw]

[/nsfw]
Old 05-23-19, 08:11 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
When speaking of multiples needed for film productions, think of this - in Doctor Strange, the Lamborghini sports car crash required the destruction of 6 individual cars to get all the shots and more to make it look like one continuous crash scene. Then they used one carcass as the partially submerged car and another cut open to use for interior scenes. Yes, there was plenty of CGI too but consider that sequence probably ran a budget of $2M just for the cars and another $10M in filming, and $10-20M in post production - all for about 1-2minutes of screen time.

7-8 bicycles done up pretty much the same may cost $10-20K all told and yes, they become property of the production company. The damaged ones will likely be destroyed completely to avoid any liability. If there is one or two left intact, they might be used for advertising photos or other promotions but unlikely sold off or given to someone other than insiders, again because of liability issues, partly because they are custom built and not necessarily built for normal consumer use.

I’m pretty sure La Brea Bike will have to sign a waiver when releasing the bikes that say LBB is not liable for anything regarding the bikes, unless they are hired on to maintain them. Even then, the production company will cover any medical issues that may happen during shooting.

I do hope though La Brea Bike and the owner’s name get named in the credits for supplying the bikes.
Old 05-23-19, 08:28 PM
La Brea Bike

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Eddie Pepitone heckles himself.

[nsfw]

https://youtu.be/Z9hqXEHp2HE

[/nsfw]
Ha! I love it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.