Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 07-14-19, 09:19 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by dimini

My 1974 Superbe needs just a couple more goodies for it to be complete. 1) I have no key for the locking fork. 2) Need a new cotter pin for the crank—hopefully one that has the acorn nut w/ initial R on it. Anyone here know the trick to getting a key for the fork, or a new cylinder and new key? Cotter pins are likely EBay find but I think the missing key is a bit hopeful.
Try looking for someone who makes keys for old British sports cars. I had one made by a guy in Frederick, MD several months ago - his name escapes me at the moment. Edit: You should be able to read the key # on the face of the lock.

Last edited by dweenk; 07-14-19 at 11:49 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 07-14-19, 10:04 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts

My 1974 Superbe needs just a couple more goodies for it to be complete. 1) I have no key for the locking fork. 2) Need a new cotter pin for the crank—hopefully one that has the acorn nut w/ initial R on it. Anyone here know the trick to getting a key for the fork, or a new cylinder and new key? Cotter pins are likely EBay find but I think the missing key is a bit hopeful.
Unfortunately, the original Raleigh cotters use a British thread and any modern cotters you'll find won't work with the "R" nuts. In fact, just about any new cotters you find on eBay won't fit the Raleigh spindle either. Your best bet is to try to reuse the original cotter or replace the pair with quality cotters with the correct taper for vintage Raleighs from Mark at BikeSmith Design and Fabrication
Old 07-15-19, 10:00 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 115 Posts
Get the number off of the fork lock. Look on ebay, search for 'Raleigh fork lock key' and see if one matches your lock number. Just that easy
Old 07-15-19, 10:15 AM
dimini

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
Get the number off of the fork lock. Look on ebay, search for 'Raleigh fork lock key' and see if one matches your lock number. Just that easy
That sounds pretty simple. Yes, it seems as though there's a 3-4 character number stamped on the face of the cylinder. I'm guessing that would match up with the style of blank key, but not literally the specific key. I'm no locksmith so all this is "magic" to me. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-15-19, 10:30 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

@dimini

Can you fit 2 bikes inside your Mini?
Old 07-15-19, 10:30 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 115 Posts
That sounds pretty simple. Yes, it seems as though there's a 3-4 character number stamped on the face of the cylinder. I'm guessing that would match up with the style of blank key, but not literally the specific key. I'm no locksmith so all this is "magic" to me. Thanks for the suggestion!
Actually that will be the key itself, all set to go. There weren't that many different locks, but don't worry- its unlikely anyone in your town will have the same key
Likes For Salubrious:
Old 07-15-19, 10:40 AM
dimini

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
@dimini

Can you fit 2 bikes inside your Mini?
One road bike fits inside w/back seat folded down w/wheels removed. My
folding MINI bike fits beautifully in the storage behind the rear seat. However, I have a 2-bike roof rack that only takes one person 3 minutes to attach. I've used the roof rack once with the Raleigh Superbe and it made me really, really nervous as I think the Raleigh exceeds the maximum weight for the bike attachment. It's also a PITA as the front fender needs to come off before it can be attached into the fork mount.
Old 07-15-19, 11:10 AM
dweenk

Do see a Nikon F-1 in the photo?
Old 07-15-19, 07:19 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 287 Posts
The New Pashley Roadster

A friend of mine bought this bike a few years ago and fixed

a problem with the hub.

He has a few bikes and thought it best to let this one go.

I've made some changes to suit me.
The bars/stem and grips have been replaced w/ period appropriate pieces.

I dyed the saddle black, added a pump and swapped out some proper rubber block pedals...
All in all a very nice but heavy roadster.
Updates to follow.

Last edited by gster; 07-15-19 at 07:53 PM.
Likes For gster:
Old 07-15-19, 08:44 PM
AD-SLE

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh my. I used to love my 3 Speeds. So darn practical. I rode one 5 miles each day to the train station and back. You don't break any land speed records but it sure beats walking! I have this 1970 which is a great size, wheels good. But, a snow plow found her and bent stem and fork. Sadly, my inventory and source of old Raleighs was moved on by she who must be obeyed. I don't see messing with FleaBay. I need the tyres for my Dad's pre war Sports which is where I should put my focus. Thoughts? Bike is in the Concord NH area.

Old 07-16-19, 04:15 AM
BigChief 

That is a tough one money wise, but to me, well worth fixing. 23" frames are getting harder to come by. Looks like the frame survived intact from the picture. Says a lot about the good ole 20-30 roadster frames. The color looks to be burgundy. A tall fork or a stepthrough in that color would eventually come along if one had patience. Or it could be a repaint project. But yeah, a bunch of work and somewhere north of 50 bucks to do. Good bike though.
Old 07-16-19, 04:34 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Originally Posted by AD-SLE
Oh my. I used to love my 3 Speeds. So darn practical. I rode one 5 miles each day to the train station and back. You don't break any land speed records but it sure beats walking! I have this 1970 which is a great size, wheels good. But, a snow plow found her and bent stem and fork. Sadly, my inventory and source of old Raleighs was moved on by she who must be obeyed. I don't see messing with FleaBay. I need the tyres for my Dad's pre war Sports which is where I should put my focus. Thoughts? Bike is in the Concord NH area.

These guys in Owen Sound have a lot of NOS Raleigh stuff at reasonable prices.
Hoop Rider
https://www.hoopriderparts.com/
Worth a call.
Not everything is listed on their site.
Old 07-16-19, 04:49 AM
gster

Originally Posted by gster
These guys in Owen Sound have a lot of NOS Raleigh stuff at reasonable prices.
Hoop Rider
https://www.hoopriderparts.com/
Worth a call.
Not everything is listed on their site.

Raleigh Fork w/ key @ $57.00

https://www.hoopriderparts.com/produ...%20fork%20wkey

I ordered some parts a while back and had them within 3 days.
I am in Toronto.

Last edited by gster; 07-16-19 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-16-19, 04:56 AM
AD-SLE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was hoping someone was going to say "I'll come rescue it". Not enable my addiction of working on lovely old vintage bikes made in England. I did browse FleaBay months ago but concluded I needed to measure the fork. Removed bent stem, attempted a measure when installed. Considered fork removal but then thought better of it. Could not recall if the bearings have a cage or are loose. Loose bearings, although not complicated, was more than I wanted to do in a 15 minute inspect. Is there some expert out there that can tell me the "fork specifications" I am looking for? Or, does someone want to come get it? I really have too many bikes.

On further review. I see Hooprider has non lock type forks (14 of them) and they are listed at 6", 7" and 8". Sadly the brown one is 6". For sizing, could it be that simple? Modern stuff has me thinking in more precise measurements.

Last edited by AD-SLE; 07-16-19 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-16-19, 07:21 AM
BigChief 

I was hoping someone was going to say "I'll come rescue it". Not enable my addiction of working on lovely old vintage bikes made in England. I did browse FleaBay months ago but concluded I needed to measure the fork. Removed bent stem, attempted a measure when installed. Considered fork removal but then thought better of it. Could not recall if the bearings have a cage or are loose. Loose bearings, although not complicated, was more than I wanted to do in a 15 minute inspect. Is there some expert out there that can tell me the "fork specifications" I am looking for? Or, does someone want to come get it? I really have too many bikes.

On further review. I see Hooprider has non lock type forks (14 of them) and they are listed at 6", 7" and 8". Sadly the brown one is 6". For sizing, could it be that simple? Modern stuff has me thinking in more precise measurements.
You would need an old Raleigh fork. The upper bearing race and lock nut are oddball 26tpi threads. And yes, the headset contains 50 loose 5/32 ball bearings
Old 07-16-19, 08:44 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
You would need an old Raleigh fork. The upper bearing race and lock nut are oddball 26tpi threads.
An alternative would be to use a standard thread fork and replace the 26tpi headset with a 24tpi headset.
Old 07-16-19, 09:48 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 189 Posts
What do you fellows use for housing clamps? My Superbe has brake housing and wire for the front headlight running back to the AG hub. It also has a Cyclo 3 speed derailer with the shifter mount for the top tube. The housing for the derailer cable is long and needs to be kept secure and neat against the top tube just before it meets the seat post. Originally, the bike had rubber clamps to keep it all neat, but needless to say they were 70 years old and broke apart when I disassembled the bike. Apart from the usual plastic suspects, anything rubber that would be appropriate for the bike? I'm looking around for those silver clamps too.
Old 07-16-19, 10:17 AM
AD-SLE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for the replies re TPI etc. I see that not only do I need to worry about fork tube length, I have to worry about TPI and early 26 vs. later ISO 24. Joy. And thank you Sheldon Brown, a true loss. Unknowingly I grew up 10 miles away from Harris Cyclery. Rode my pre war Raleigh Sports over but he was not there. Silly me.

Back on topic. So, the below photo. I see the seller no longer has the head set nut. How does one date this kind of stuff? Patience. Learning. Any tips on what I should ask the seller before I make a longer than usual drive? And then I need a stem.
Old 07-16-19, 12:55 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 97 Posts
Thank you for the replies re TPI etc. I see that not only do I need to worry about fork tube length, I have to worry about TPI and early 26 vs. later ISO 24. Joy. And thank you Sheldon Brown, a true loss. Unknowingly I grew up 10 miles away from Harris Cyclery. Rode my pre war Raleigh Sports over but he was not there. Silly me.

Back on topic. So, the below photo. I see the seller no longer has the head set nut. How does one date this kind of stuff? Patience. Learning. Any tips on what I should ask the seller before I make a longer than usual drive? And then I need a stem.
The threads on Raleigh 3-speeds are all oddball 26tpi. You can mix and match. That said, I do not know if the fork from a lady's bike is the same as the fork from a gentleman's bike.
Old 07-16-19, 03:27 PM
BigChief 

I suppose it would be best to measure the head tube to be sure, but the stepthrough and the 23" gents head tube look darn close to me.
Old 07-17-19, 05:12 AM
gpdave

Bikes: bianchi eros, motobecane grand jubilee, falcon san remo...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Not internal gearing but they are British

I recently picked up a couple of British bikes that I believe to be from the 1940s. Though not internal gearing they both have three "speeds".
First is a Carlton Continental 1948-1952.
This bike has been modified a bit over it's long life (brakes, pedals,bars and the Airlight hubs have been replaced into 27" Araya rims) but in good condition overall.
I plan to restore it to it original to it's original configuration more or less. But I don't think I will paint it.
I have taken it out for several short trips and love the way it rides.
Second is a Phillips. Not sure of the model but going by the Cyclo derailleur it appears to be a 1946.
This one is rough and may take a while to get back on the road.
The rear hub is a Phillips low flange with a " flip-flop" feature.
My knowledge of Phillips is minimal at best so I would appreciate any information you can provide.
Thanks
Dave

Old 07-17-19, 06:01 AM
BigChief 

Fascinating bikes. Out of my knowledge range though. Hope to learn more.
Old 07-17-19, 08:18 AM
PeterLYoung 

Location: Southport, North Carolina, USA & Pevensey, East Sussex, UK

Bikes: 1)1992 Trek 970, 2)2010 Trek 6500, 3)1973 Colnago Super, 4)1955 Freddie Grubb Meteor. 5)1993 Airborne Ti-Hag Titanium. 6)1936 BSA 602DX Roadster. 7)1957 Philips P2 Sports. 8)1955 Dayton Roadmaster. 9)1948 Humber Clubman. 10) 1949 Sunbeam WA3 Wayfarer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 34 Posts
Philips 1957 Step Thru Bike Frame No K651746

Just completed the refurbishment of my 1957 Phillips P2 step thru bike which I have previously written up and posted.

I don't know where it was kept but it survived in good cosmetic condition, all the chrome work polished up well after 48 hours in white vinegar.

The rims I polished up after dismantling the wheels, so much easier when no spokes are present. Had the wheels rebuilt with stainless spokes. The paintwork was all original with decals in 'fair' condition, some were flaking off so I compounded as much as I dare to clean up the paintwork and then clear lacquered the frame, fenders and chain guard.

All bearings were stripped cleaned and reassembled with new balls except those inside the replacement Sturmey Archer SW 3 Speed, which were in good shape (the original I thought had lost the change toggle so I obtained a couple more 1957 SW's and used the best one as a replacement to rebuild the rear wheel. When I stripped the original I found it still intact but by that time the wheel was rebuilt with the replacement hub). The replacement was stripped, cleaned and re assembled. It works fine, changes gear OK and engages correctly, it runs silently as it should.

The bike is all original except for the following:-

Tires & tubes

Spokes

3 Speed (same vintage as original)

3 Speed change cable

Brake cable outers (original inners reused, they were in good condition)

Brake blocks, replaced with Koolstop 45mm.

Test rode it last night and it rides beautifully, really pleased with how it turned out.

Some more Photos

Last edited by PeterLYoung; 07-17-19 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Corrections
Likes For PeterLYoung:
Old 07-17-19, 11:19 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by PeterLYoung
Just completed the refurbishment of my 1957 Phillips P2 step thru bike which I have previously written up and posted.

I don't know where it was kept but it survived in good cosmetic condition, all the chrome work polished up well after 48 hours in white vinegar.

The rims I polished up after dismantling the wheels, so much easier when no spokes are present. Had the wheels rebuilt with stainless spokes. The paintwork was all original with decals in 'fair' condition, some were flaking off so I compounded as much as I dare to clean up the paintwork and then clear lacquered the frame, fenders and chain guard.

All bearings were stripped cleaned and reassembled with new balls except those inside the replacement Sturmey Archer SW 3 Speed, which were in good shape (the original I thought had lost the change toggle so I obtained a couple more 1957 SW's and used the best one as a replacement to rebuild the rear wheel. When I stripped the original I found it still intact but by that time the wheel was rebuilt with the replacement hub). The replacement was stripped, cleaned and re assembled. It works fine, changes gear OK and engages correctly, it runs silently as it should.

The bike is all original except for the following:-

Tires & tubes

Spokes

3 Speed (same vintage as original)

3 Speed change cable

Brake cable outers (original inners reused, they were in good condition)

Brake blocks, replaced with Koolstop 45mm.

Test rode it last night and it rides beautifully, really pleased with how it turned out.

Some more Photos
Very good job. That turned out beautifully. Hang on to the old bent trigger shifter. They can be repaired. I've fixed a bunch of em. I see you found the correct shifter cable in the old, pre-pinch bolt style. Very nice.
Old 07-17-19, 11:21 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Great job Peter. Saddle looks exactly like the Wrights on my wife’s 55 Standard Model K. How do you find the koolstop 45mm? I used the continentals and they are ok; the 45mm look better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.