Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Anyone commute on a trike?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 08-14-19, 07:57 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts

I’m considering a trike, but would like to use it for commuting. My concern is whether I’d take it inside or lock it up when I arrive, and if I lock it up, will it attract people? Does anyone use a trike for commuting, and if so, what do I need to know as I consider it?
Old 08-15-19, 11:02 AM
SCLee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Trikes in general, 2 styles: Delta and Tadpole. Delta= 1 wheel in front, 2 in rear. Tadpole = 2 wheels in front, 1 in rear. Both are heavier than a bicycle, even a recumbent bike. Tadpoles have ONE drive wheel which is fine for pavement. Delta's can have 2 drive wheels which is better for gravel / dirt / trails.

For committing some considerations:
Do your streets have bike lanes?
Can you utilize a Multi Use Pathway for your commute (safety consideration)
How far is the commute? And how fast to you anticipate riding?
Do you have hills on your commute?
What is your average summer temperature? I.E. will you get hot and sweaty before work?

An e-trike can help with time, distance, hills and to a limited degree temperature. But will you need access to electrical outlet to charge the battery before retuning home?
E-trikes weigh more, 20 to 30 pounds more. Getting it into an office will be more difficult. Is there "protected" parking at your business? A/C outlet available?
What is the neighborhood like around the business? Cables, locks and other deterrents can only do so much against bolt cutters and hack saws.

IF you can, try out a few trikes, make sure to get one that FITS you. Sizing a trike is different than sizing a bike.

I'd trike to work if I was younger, lived closer, had fewer hills, and could park the trike in a storage area. But I'm retired!
Lee
Old 08-15-19, 03:56 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Trikes will require more space at both ends of your commute. They will go slower for a given effort than a 2-wheeler. The are harder to lock securely, since the frame is typically a simple crucifix. Car traffic seems to intimidate trike riders more than bike riders. At least the Minneapolis area has quite a few trails.

I would not bicycle (or tricycle) commute unless I could park inside, preferably in my office. And of course it will attract people. It will attract conversation if it's in your work area, and people will want to sit in it.
Old 08-20-19, 12:38 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Some trike models (usually tadpole) fold. Fairly easily too, considering what is involved. They still weigh more than bikes but I haven't encountered the workplace yet that didn't have elevators or escalators to access floors above or below the street levels.
Old 08-23-19, 03:04 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I commute in my velomobile. I'm lucky in that although we don't have a dedicated bike rack, our buildings have elevated foundations with ramps/stairs, and railing all around to lock things to.

Having said that, since I work on a military installation, I don't bother locking my velo at work.

I always carry a 6 ft cable, and a Kryptonite U-lock, though. When I stop at the store or other place, I run the cable down through the foot holes (around the metal central frame) and then lock the ends to a bike rack or similar post with the U-lock.

I imagine a similar setup would work for most trikes. It may be worth considering getting a cover of some sort, especially if you can leave it at work. Out of sight, out of mind is a surprisingly effective means of deterrent. You can also get cheap (>$30) motorcycle/bicycle alarms that can alert you if someone messes with it. I'm waiting on a system that has GPS tracking that should be arriving soon-ish (it's a kickstarter). That I can use on both my recumbent bike and the velo.
Old 08-23-19, 04:55 PM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I commute on an adult tricycle. They are heavy and not aerodynamic plus not as maneuverable in tight spots like multi-use paths with pedestrians; all those factors increase travel time. My peak speeds range in the mid to upper 20's - MPH, and on shorter rides level around 15 MPH or 17 MPH on longer commutes; however, shorter averages are ~10 MPH and longer commutes average ~12 MPH. Yes, two wheel bicycles are usually faster - especially road bikes. But I have traumatic brain injury, so a tricycle is safer for me these days. Recumbent trikes are quick; I'd like to try one some day.

Trikes also require more room. Most of the bike paths I use (I prefer regular roads opposed to bike trails with constant underpasses) are wide enough, but sometimes they get thin and either leave no room to swerve and miss road hazards, or do not fully accommodate my trike, so I am partially in traffic. Most drivers are courteous, but a few drive by fast and dangerously close.

My current commute is to college which is about an hour ride each way, but I usually leave a couple hours before class; that allows me extra time in case of travel conditions such as heavy wind, but usually I have an hour to eat and relax before class. I park by a bike rack closest to the building I have class in, so that changes regularly. I had one stolen in 2017 (from a rack in front of campus police station). They cut the chain, and the police suggested I upgrade to a U-lock. I did and have been alright for a couple years now.

Originally Posted by Alligator
I’m considering a trike, but would like to use it for commuting. My concern is whether I’d take it inside or lock it up when I arrive, and if I lock it up, will it attract people? Does anyone use a trike for commuting, and if so, what do I need to know as I consider it?