Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cino Heroica and Coppi Centenario ride reports

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-19-19, 11:45 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 3,771 Times in 664 Posts

Finally back home in Washington State after 3 solid days of driving. It’s good to be home. Apologies for the late response to comment on the forum about the Cino and Coppi rides. I don’t post on social media while I am away in respect to my wife wishes.

In the past week and a half, I drove 4500 miles in my Honda Fit subcompact stuffed to the gills with 4 bikes to participate in 2 wonderful events held on back to back weekends: The Cino Heroica in Montana and the Coppi Centenario in Wisconsin.

The Cino and Coppi have much in common: Well organized, Vintage bikes, GREAT people, Fantastic bike riding in beautiful settings, Delicious food and drink.….and curiously enough, both events were lead by guys named Dave :-)

One thing that both of these events have in common is a special “vibe”. I think this vibe is an extension of the organizer’s personality. As a participant I felt very lucky to be included. Everyone I met were friendly and interesting. I like how neither event took itself too seriously. There was a certain looseness that’s refreshing and makes you feel at ease.

Here are my photo albums of each ride.

Cino Album

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGTC2Af

Coppi Album

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGZHYUF

Cino returned after a 2 year hiatus when @mountaindave stepped up to take on the leadership role. This was their 11th year and my 8th time participating.

New this year, was a bike show Friday evening at the Montessori School where Dave works. Frame builder Dave Kirk was the special guest this year and he brought a “Coors Light” Serotta to display at the show. I didn’t take any pictures at the show of that bike but did manage to snap a picture of the bike he used during the ride. A real beauty. I was a little surprised he didn’t make any attempt to outfit it in Cino fashion. Still, it was a wonderful bike.

Dave Kirks ride by NBend, on Flickr

I think the thing I liked best about this year was seeing the “Godfathers” of Cino enjoying themselves as participants. So that is what I will highlight in photos:

Reed, the originator of Cino Heroica

Reed by NBend, on Flickr

Paul and Jan of Glacier Cyclery original sponsors, organizers and master of ceremonies

Ron and Jan by NBend, on Flickr

Last edited by northbend; 09-19-19 at 12:47 PM.
Likes For northbend:
Old 09-19-19, 11:47 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

I rode the Singer this year on Day 1. Catered gourmet lunch on Saturday by a waterfall on private property.
@Lascauxcaveman Tim approves

The Caveman approves by NBend, on Flickr

We enjoyed lunch immensely

The Freaks in the Show are a tight old crew... by NBend, on Flickr
@gugie on his 1st Cino, fortified by lunch and beers is ready to take on the last 30 miles to Hot Springs

Gugie feels his Oats.... or something else by NBend, on Flickr

Off we go after lunch and my favorite part of the route. The climb up to Sullivan Hill.

Byron, Mario and I take a moment before descending Sullivan Hill.. by NBend, on Flickr

The descent off of Sullivan is a hairball ride as always full of rough gravel washboard but everyone eventually makes it down. After my bad crash last September (not at Cino), I still am working through some confidence and fear issues so I took this descent much slower this year.

We finish the day at Alamedas and cool off in the shade with some beers

Alamedas by NBend, on Flickr

Formal dinner and awards ceremony later that evening included the toasting to some of the award recipients with bottles of Champagne that @etherhuffer opened with a Sabre! I wish I had some photos of that but I don’t. It made quite an impression.

Last edited by northbend; 09-19-19 at 12:03 PM.
Likes For northbend:
Old 09-19-19, 11:49 AM
northbend 

The next morning we gather after breakfast for the Day 2 ride back to Kila. This year, I volunteered to drive SAG for the 1st half of the day. I stopped along the route and took some pictures of riders passing by.

Hans, the infamous rider number 86 and leader of the Squadra 86

Hans! by NBend, on Flickr

Dave’s wife Dawn and daughter Emma

D&E 3 by NBend, on Flickr

D&E 2 by NBend, on Flickr

It wasn’t clear to me at the lunch stop who would actually take over driving responsibilities so I hung around after all the riders had left and the crew started to break down the lunch tables. Finally, someone came over looking for the keys so I was off the hook. He was driving the SAG directly back to the Kila pub on the paved highway. I grabbed my Bruce Gordon off of the vehicle and started the climb up 9 mile hill alone, the broom wagon up somewhere ahead of me. That experience was in itself is different than any other year - I am riding a different bike for day 2 and I am the last person on the course.

It’s super quiet, I settled into a rhythm and made my way up past the broom wagon and maybe 6 or 8 other riders. One of those riders was Dave’s oldest daughter Emma who was now riding alone, Momma having hitched a ride to the top. Emma is an impressive rider. Strong, with good form that reminds me of her Dad, she matched me pedal stroke for pedal stroke up until the final pitch to Browns Meadow Pass where I met up with Bob Freeman and Gugie.

Cheers, Bob! by NBend, on Flickr

It's a wrap, Gugie! by NBend, on Flickr

Looking through the beer selection in the coolers, I was disappointed there was nothing left except Bud Lite. Thats when @Choke saved the day offering to make me a martini. Another Cino first. Martinis on Browns Meadow Pass. Well done, Scott!

Choke serves up Martinis on Brown's Meadow summit. by NBend, on Flickr

I descend off of the pass with Gugie. He gets a flat. We stop and fix it with Chokes help (thanks Scott!) We start off again and BAM! I hit a rock and double flat. Choke again to the rescue…

We start off again and almost immediately, Gugie flats again. This time the front tire. Good thing Choke is there with the floor pump.

When we get to the finish, the party is in full swing at the Kila Pub. Another great Cino in the books. Dave did a fantastic job bringing Cino back to life. The crowd was smaller (approx 70 riders?) but it was essentially the same vibe as in previous years. Dave is already talking of heading it up again next year. I’m happy to know where I’ll be the week after Labor day 2020…

Dave, thank you so much for bringing back Cino. You did an excellent job. The magic that is Cino was not lost when you took the lead. That is a testament to you and the Godfathers of Cino. It was so good to see everyone again. Thanks to all the folks who volunteered to helped out. You folks are awesome.

After dropping Gugie off at the airport on Monday afternoon I start the long drive to Wisconsin…..

Last edited by northbend; 09-19-19 at 12:01 PM.
Likes For northbend:
Old 09-19-19, 11:51 AM
northbend 

I took my time driving, not having to be there until Friday. Original plan was to stop for a day and ride the Mikkelson Trail in the Black Hills of South Dakota but ma nature had other plans. It was stormy when I passed by. Actually, it was storming pretty intensely for the next few days. On Thursday, I passed though huge squalls that flooded Interstate 90 highway in Minnesota. Traffic moving at walking speed in one spot where the water was up to the door jambs, a big bow wave forming off the front of the car as I passed through..

Finally safe and sound in Mineral Point, Wisconsin I check into the Walker House on Friday Afternoon. Built in 1836 from stone it looks like it just grew out of the ground. I walk over to Tony’s Tap brewpub that evening for an informal meet n greet. The place was soon packed with folks that have come into town for the ride. It solidified my opinion that folks from the Midwest are some of the friendliest people you’ll ever meet.

Saturday morning, I met @crank_addict for breakfast at the red rooster cafe before going out with a small group of folks on a short ride. After all the talk on the “Do This” bike forum thread about hills and gearing it had me wondering if I had maybe made the wrong choice for gearing on the Holland I was using for the weekend: 36-26 low gear. I soon realized it was not going to be a problem. The climbs are all pretty short - maybe 100 - 300 feet gained on each one so even if there were some steep sections, they never lasted very long. I did find some of the loose gravel on top of some of the newly chip sealed roads a little concerning so I was very cautious on the descents. I’ll take gravel on a dirt surface any day over gravel on top of a hard surface.

It quickly became apparent who the fast riders were going to be this weekend: @nomadmax and @Chrome Molly were out front early and never looked back. I was following them for a bit until I realized no one else was around so I throttled back and hung out with the main body of the group. 1st flat of the day of course would have to go to @RobbieTunes and I got one soon afterwards as well. Later that afternoon, I drove over to Hollandale for the Bike show. I unloaded and assembled 4 bikes (Holland, Singer, Bruce Gordon and Hobbs of Barbican) staking them out together on the lawn in front of the meeting hall. Dave had set up the stakes in rows perfectly suited for such a display. There was plenty of room to walk about and admire everyone’s bikes. A staggering array of interesting and beautiful bikes.

The show on Saturday by NBend, on Flickr

Drive detail by NBend, on Flickr

Created by an art student? by NBend, on Flickr

Phish flask by NBend, on Flickr

Ephgrave by NBend, on Flickr

I was a little worried what folks would think about my bikes, the Singer and Bruce Gordon still beat up and dirty from riding at Cino the weekend before but no one was critical about any of that. Everyone was really cool.

At the awards banquet after dinner that night, Dave awarded my Hobbs with a beautiful plaque for best “Not Italian?” bike. Thanks Dave!

Last edited by northbend; 09-19-19 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Wrong dude mentioned
Likes For northbend:
Old 09-19-19, 11:53 AM
northbend 

On Sunday, we met again at Hollandale for the ride. Dave had coffee and pastries laid out for everyone. We gathered around the front of the meeting hall for a group photo before folks began to trickle out on the ride.

The Sunday morning line up by NBend, on Flickr

I left with the main group and just followed wheels for a while. When I did need to do some navigation I carried my bulky camera in a fanny pack and stopped to take some photos of some of the riders as they climbed a minor hill. My favorite picture is this one of a guy I had talked with on Friday night. I’ve forgotten his name but he was telling me that he was an original rider in the ‘bike centennial” in ’76. I love how he is celebrating his little victory staying ahead of those young whippersnappers. If anyone knows who this is, please let me know.

My favorite picture from sunday by NBend, on Flickr

After catching up with the group, I realized I was carrying the wrong map/queue sheet for the 100k route. Dave gave me his copy when we stopped at an early rest stop.

I spent the latter 1/2 of the ride hanging out with crank addict and really enjoyed his company. We rode at an easy pace savoring the route. We kind of did it “Cino Style” stopping for a beer in New Glarus and taking time to snap photos of each other along the way. I count those hours as the highlight of my weekend.

Scott 2 by NBend, on Flickr

Scott 1 by NBend, on Flickr

This is daryland by NBend, on Flickr

Beautiful farm scenes by NBend, on Flickr

My camera is too bulky to use while on the fly so I had some catching up to do after packing it away. It really detracts from the ride. I miss my small point and shoot camera that I lost last year. I realize now I need to get a small pocket camera again.

It was a real pleasure to meet so many notable and esteemed characters I had become familiar with on Bikeforums and CR.
@RobbieTunes, I was thrilled to finally meet you! Thanks for helping make this weekend a success and for making this stranger feel welcome in your old home town.

Robbie by NBend, on Flickr

Thanks again, @iab for throwing a party that would have made Fausto proud. Everything was so well thought out and brilliantly executed.

It was a fun birthday party by NBend, on Flickr

So that was my take on the past couple of weekends. An excellent finish to a remarkable Summer biking season I will never forget.

The driftless area of SW Wisconsin is kind of like an amusement park for cyclists with so many small winding country roads to explore in the region. I’ll be sorely tempted to visit again. I think I’d take the train next time though.. That drive was a killer.
Likes For northbend:
Old 09-19-19, 01:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,765 Times in 2,270 Posts
Great travelogue, Matt!
Old 09-19-19, 03:03 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,765 Times in 2,270 Posts
Mario (one of the riders Matt mentioned, above) rode up alongside me and took a cool picture. It's definitely from my best side.

Note the fantastic big-big cross chain, something easily done with long chainstays and a 5 speed freewheel.
Old 09-19-19, 03:10 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
My favorite picture is this one of a guy I had talked with on Friday night. I’ve forgotten his name but he was telling me that he was an original rider in the ‘bike centennial” in ’76. I love how he is celebrating his little victory staying ahead of those young whippersnappers. If anyone knows who this is, please let me know.

My favorite picture from sunday by NBend, on Flickr
That's famous L. Osborne of Virginia!

Terrific meeting you too, champ Matt! The company at these vintage cycling events and while out on the rides are unmatched.

All the best and looking forward to seeing you again~
Old 09-19-19, 04:42 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Great report, Matt!
Old 09-19-19, 04:43 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
It quickly became apparent who the fast riders were going to be this weekend: @natterberry and @Chrome Molly were out front early and never looked back. I was following them for a bit until I realized no one else was around so I throttled back and hung out with the main body of the group.
I wish I was that fast. That was probably @nomadmax in my place.

Im the slow young guy, typically found pulling up the rear.

It was very nice to meet you though!

Last edited by natterberry; 09-19-19 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-19-19, 05:10 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
It was an honor to meet Matt (@northbend), one of my heroes among many. Class act all the way. The most collective wish was "more of the same." When that happens, someone did something right, and of course, Dave did, and we showed up, and the magic happened.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-19-19, 05:13 PM
northbend 

Originally Posted by natterberry

Oh! Thanks Nick. I corrected that mention. It was nice meeting you too!
Old 09-19-19, 05:20 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts

Nick had probably the finest example of a first-time showing of a bike that I've seen.
His attention to detail was simply outstanding. You could look at his Trek for an hour.
I'm an old guy, and when I see stuff brought in like his and Bernie's (@76SLT), I know the world is good.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-19-19, 08:54 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts

But you have a way cooler bike I'm very serious, your attention to detail is stunning. Even more importantly, the speed at which we travel is irrelevant; it's the camaraderie of coming together that makes it memorable.

Last edited by nomadmax; 09-20-19 at 04:00 AM.
Old 09-20-19, 11:10 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 962 Times in 480 Posts
Cino returned after a 2 year hiatus when @mountaindave stepped up to take on the leadership role. This was their 11th year and my 8th time participating.

New this year, was a bike show Friday evening at the Montessori School where Dave works. Frame builder Dave Kirk was the special guest this year and he brought a “Coors Light” Serotta to display at the show. I didn’t take any pictures at the show of that bike but did manage to snap a picture of the bike he used during the ride. A real beauty. I was a little surprised he didn’t make any attempt to outfit it in Cino fashion. Still, it was a wonderful bike.

Dave Kirks ride by NBend, on Flickr
Matt failed to mention that he rode sag on Day 2 to lunch and was consequently not one of the first people to the top of Brown's Meadow pass, as he usually is. So big thanks to you for helping out, Matt!

There were a couple reasons Dave didn't "cino-fy" his bike. The toe-clips were a foot issue. He explained that he had long struggled with foot issues until he got these custom-made clipless shoes. Cool, there's plenty of suffering on Cino. (the one time I used toe clips, it was for one day - I immediately switched to clipless on Day 2!). The other was not wanting to completely rebuilt the drive train. Understandable - it's a two day event. He seriously considered riding the Coors Light bike, but was worried about the 25mm tires. I know that many have done it, but again, there's plenty of suffering already on Cino.

Great reports and pics, Matt - glad you had a good time at Coppi!