Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Buys Speedplay

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wahoo Buys Speedplay

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-19, 01:37 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
I used a torque wrench, because I know how to use a search engine. The clip in the cleat was free to move and release was never an issue, I just never felt confident on engagement.
Welp, unless you're a flyweight that should have been on Light Actions, there was something wrong with the install.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-26-19, 01:58 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I used a torque wrench, because I know how to use a search engine. The clip in the cleat was free to move and release was never an issue, I just never felt confident on engagement.
I had this problem with new cleats full loose/open. Speedplay road are one of those things that work better as they wear

They also have a bad naming / visual scheme. There are three+ versions of road cleats/pedel systems that look alike all named basically the same thing.
Old 09-26-19, 03:53 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Tried Speedplay pedals, ended up taking them off. I was actually slower to clip in with the SP's. The engagement force was too high and after a few times where the cleat slipped off the side of the pedal while trying to engage, I went back to Look.
Funny but I cannot remember ever missing a clip in with my SP's, but I always struggled with Shimano and Time pedals.
Those I ride with who are on single-sided pedals all seem to have issues getting clipped in as we move away from the lights etc.
Old 09-26-19, 05:43 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Please, please, please, Wahoo, make a cleat based Speedplay power meter!
Old 09-26-19, 05:47 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Has anyone tried to build a power meter into the spindle? That's where I'd prefer it be, if it could be figured out how to get to be a bulbous thing below the spindle after it's screwed into the crankarm.
Old 09-26-19, 06:19 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Would a single sided power meter pedals fly with Speedplay users?
Old 09-28-19, 10:34 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
true.. but I'd prefer it in the pedal; I don't want to buy a power meter for each pair of shoes I use.
I have more bikes than cycling shoes. I prefer the idea of not having to buy a separate power meter for a road bike, 2nd road bike, a TT/tri bike, etc.
Old 09-29-19, 07:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Leinster
I have more bikes than cycling shoes. I prefer the idea of not having to buy a separate power meter for a road bike, 2nd road bike, a TT/tri bike, etc.
Pedals are easier to move from one bike to the next, than SP cleats would be moving from one pair of shoes to another.
Old 09-29-19, 07:33 AM
WhyFi

Pedals are easier to move from one bike to the next, than SP cleats would be moving from one pair of shoes to another.
What's the use case where you have multiple shoes for the same pedal system and you want/need to be able to choose between them? Winter shoes/boots come to mind, but those aren't really conditions where I feel SP is suitable, anyway. Kit matchy-matchy considerations?

Personally, I'd love the cleat option and, as there are already multiple pedal-based options, it might be a nice differentiator.
Old 09-29-19, 08:01 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by WhyFi
What's the use case where you have multiple shoes for the same pedal system and you want/need to be able to choose between them? Winter shoes/boots come to mind, but those aren't really conditions where I feel SP is suitable, anyway. Kit matchy-matchy considerations?

Personally, I'd love the cleat option and, as there are already multiple pedal-based options, it might be a nice differentiator.
Not sure what you're asking. I have cleats already installed on my various pairs of shoes for my speedplay pedal system. Cleats are a wear item anyway, so it's like eg. chains.. I can't imagine buying one chain and swapping between bikes each time I want to ride a different bike than the time before. In the medium term it's a wash on the total expenditure.

Though if had I had eg. 3 bikes, I'd move my speedplay pedals to the bike I wanted to use, especially presuming pedals with power meter integrated would add hundreds of dollars to the already not cheap pedals. I'd prefer to move one pair of pedals to the bike I want to use on a given day, than move cleats from from one pair of shoes to another on any given day. Especially as highlighted.. cleats are a wear item (at least much faster than the pedals themselves), so also wouldn't want disposable power meters.
Old 09-29-19, 09:49 AM
WhyFi

Not sure what you're asking. I have cleats already installed on my various pairs of shoes for my speedplay pedal system.
What I'm asking is - why do you have various pairs of shoes for the same cleat system? What does one shoe provide that the other doesn't? Again, I can think of one good reason for multiple shoes with the same pedal system (winter boots, but SP cleats suck in snow, so I wouldn't use them anyway), but I'm having trouble coming up with other reasons (besides fashion, nttawwt).

Cleats are a wear item anyway, so it's like eg. chains.. I can't imagine buying one chain and swapping between bikes each time I want to ride a different bike than the time before. In the medium term it's a wash on the total expenditure.
...cleats are a wear item (at least much faster than the pedals themselves), so also wouldn't want disposable power meters.
In the case of SP, that's kinda like saying cranks are a wear item because of the chain rings. I'm pretty confident that a competent engineer could plan around clips, retaining plate, etc that could be replaced without scrapping the entire unit.

Though if had I had eg. 3 bikes, I'd move my speedplay pedals to the bike I wanted to use, especially presuming pedals with power meter integrated would add hundreds of dollars to the already not cheap pedals. I'd prefer to move one pair of pedals to the bike I want to use on a given day, than move cleats from from one pair of shoes to another on any given day.
Again, plenty of pedals that already provide this functionality. I can see a lot of scenarios where market differentiation with cleat-based meters would be seen as huge benefit. It'd be awesome to put on my shoes, walk out to the garage and pick from aero bike, endurance bike, gravel bike, climbing bike, etc. Changing pedals is pretty easy, but it's not easier than throwing your leg over you bike of choice.
Old 09-29-19, 01:20 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Some people keep old shoes for when it rains. Or you could have one pair dedicated to the trainer bike while the another pair sits in your gear bag. Or maybe you want BOAs on your road shoes but laces on your track shoes.

And both Speedplay pedals and cleats are wear items. The pedal bodies wear a lot slower than the cleats, but they do wear and need to be replace.
Old 09-29-19, 07:16 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Some people keep old shoes for when it rains. Or you could have one pair dedicated to the trainer bike while the another pair sits in your gear bag. Or maybe you want BOAs on your road shoes but laces on your track shoes.

And both Speedplay pedals and cleats are wear items. The pedal bodies wear a lot slower than the cleats, but they do wear and need to be replace.
I'll admit to having more shoes than I need.. I also have more than one helmet, or pair of socks, and more jerseys than necessary to survive between laundry runs. I have a pair of black shoes, a pair of white shoes, and a pair of 3M reflective, water-resistant shoes. OTOH, I only have one bike with clipless pedals, and that bike has SP. If I had 4 or so bikes, I'd have to really think whether I would have spring for 4+ sets of $200+ pedals.
Old 09-29-19, 10:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

I need to leave a pair of shoes in the car, I'm getting forgetful. I could benefit from a really loose pair of shoes because I have tendinitis in my ankle, but it's probably better not to ride at all, or maybe to rent an ebike occasionally. But injury sounds be pretty rare and not something to plan around if it isn't happening. One day I'd like to buy a house in the mountains and will probably have to live in the city a few years after I get the key, I can see leaving a bike there with everything I need to ride. But again that's pretty rare in terms of the cycling community.

I think your argument that there are already pedal based PMs and a cleat based one would be different and sell because of it, is a good one.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-30-19, 07:46 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

I think your argument that there are already pedal based PMs and a cleat based one would be different and sell because of it, is a good one.
I understand the argument, though of course no existing pedal-based PM exists for SP; hence no SP user owns a pedal-based PM. The likely reason because they like their SP pedals too much and if they want a PM, have opted for another style (eg crank-based like I did).

IOW, you don't need market differentiation, because speedplay mount is already the differentiator.
Old 09-30-19, 08:07 AM
WhyFi

I understand the argument, though of course no existing pedal-based PM exists for SP; hence no SP user owns a pedal-based PM. The likely reason because they like their SP pedals too much and if they want a PM, have opted for another style (eg crank-based like I did).

IOW, you don't need market differentiation, because speedplay mount is already the differentiator.
That's some silly speculation and logic.

There are, without a doubt, some people with pedal-based PMs that would prefer a SP power option; I prefer SP, but when I was shopping for a PM, that by no means eliminated Favero/Garmin/PowerTap from the search. Price and full/dual-side power were higher on the priorities than SP compatibility.

There are also, without a doubt, some people that would consider switching over to SP, from another pedal platform, if their power meter could move from bike-to-bike with their shoes. If SP comes out with a cleat-based option, I will undoubtedly buy it. I'll move my crank-based meter to the gravel/winter bike (where SPDs make more sense) and SPs will go on the road bikes (currently just the Domane, but itching for a WW and/or aero bike) with shared PM shoes/cleats between them.
Old 09-30-19, 11:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

That's some silly speculation and logic.

There are, without a doubt, some people with pedal-based PMs that would prefer a SP power option; I prefer SP, but when I was shopping for a PM, that by no means eliminated Favero/Garmin/PowerTap from the search. Price and full/dual-side power were higher on the priorities than SP compatibility.
It's not speculation to say speedplay users who have a power meter, do not have pedal-based power meters. It's not speculation to say that I myself opted for a crank-based power meter, because I didn't fancy changing my pedal system to something I haven't tried, and replacing cleats on 3 pairs of shoes to do so. You may however, maintain that I made a silly decision, but I beg to differ.

I'm not sure why you think that while it's likely some people have bought pedal-based PMs that would have preferred a SP option, there are not also folks who preferred SP option to a degree that they chose to buy a different type of PM system (eg. crank or wheel hub, etc)?
Old 09-30-19, 12:18 PM
WhyFi

It's not speculation to say speedplay users who have a power meter, do not have pedal-based power meters. It's not speculation to say that I myself opted for a crank-based power meter, because I didn't fancy changing my pedal system to something I haven't tried, and replacing cleats on 3 pairs of shoes to do so. You may however, maintain that I made a silly decision, but I beg to differ.

I'm not sure why you think that while it's likely some people have bought pedal-based PMs that would have preferred a SP option, there are not also folks who preferred SP option to a degree that they chose to buy a different type of PM system (eg. crank or wheel hub, etc)?
Your comprehension and logic leaves something to be desired.

You seem to think that every SP user is exclusively an SP user. Not the case.

You seem to think that I called your decision silly. Not the case.

You seem to think that I asserted that no SP user has chosen a PM with SP compatibility as an overriding concern. Not the case.

Three strikes - you're not out, but I'm done with you on this.
Old 10-02-19, 12:09 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
The new walkable cleats are amazing compared to the old design. My GF uses them because she likes the dual sided clip in, I do all the setup and service every few months and they keep chugging along. The older design worked best with keep on covers to keep some dirt/grime out but they can last 10,000+ miles if taken care of
I bought the walkable cleats and I find them to be flimsy. After using them for about a dozen rides I noticed that they were starting to peel off the cleat itself. And, the threaded insert does not easily thread in or stay in place. I'm not a fan.
Old 10-02-19, 12:33 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I bought the walkable cleats and I find them to be flimsy. After using them for about a dozen rides I noticed that they were starting to peel off the cleat itself. And, the threaded insert does not easily thread in or stay in place. I'm not a fan.
How much walking around are you doing in them and through what? They are still road cleats and meant to be used minimally. I don't even know anyone that keeps the center caps. If the covers are peeling off they probably weren't installed correctly, the corners have ridged inserts that hold the cover in place
Likes For redlude97:
Old 10-02-19, 12:40 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by bruce19
They will take some abuse, in my experience, though you do have to be particular about getting them on; if they're not all the way on, and it can take some elbow grease, they'll pop off pretty easily.

FWIW, I just bought my second set of replacement covers. Both of the previous sets were put through hell before finally losing one of the two (I lost one shouldering my bike through gravel/dirt at a construction site and I think that the other one was lost when walking around during an Oktoberfest). One kind of smooshed out of shape from a fair bit of walking, but it still held on for months longer before finally giving up. The other was with no warning, but still not terribly surprising, given the conditions.
Old 10-02-19, 01:30 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
How much walking around are you doing in them and through what? They are still road cleats and meant to be used minimally. I don't even know anyone that keeps the center caps. If the covers are peeling off they probably weren't installed correctly, the corners have ridged inserts that hold the cover in place
They were installed by my LBS and these guys have always been really good. If I have 200 miles on them that would be a lot. And, I walk from my house to my workshop which is about 100 ft. I haven't been on long club rides and walked around with them. FWIW, there are few products I am into but Speedplay is one of them. To me Speedplay and Assos are my go to brands. So, I'm disappointed.